cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total Re-skin. Possible?

Cruiseomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a '06 Cavalier. The skin is in rough shape. Thought about patch panels for some areas. Then I got to thinking about just replacing all the skin with a more common type and for the fresh paint. So not only does the current skin need patches, It also needs paint. What would I be looking at with this? Thanks.
"Most people live full time in an RV for fun. I do it to live debt free."
22 REPLIES 22

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I had bang up our TT a number of years ago and the skin was really bad. I ended up contacting the TT manufacture and buying replacement skin to install. It was really easy to do. The paneles can be shipped in a tube to potect them from damage during shipping. Just make sure that you inspect the the panels for damage, prior to signing the shippers ticket
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Cruiseomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Houston,TX. I just called "Mac's Aluminum" and gave her some ballpark numbers. I'm looking at $950 for the panels on one side or $4.11 per sq. ft. Lets not mention trucking it in. As far as it being FEMA, ANY RV is prone to the damage this one has.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cruiseomatic wrote:
It is all aluminum. I was told of a place called Macs aluminum and the panels come pre-painted. I just can't see shipping 20+ ft. of siding... Would a siding company have the panels I need for this? A lot of the body is banged up. A replacement panel here and there wouldn't really do it. Thanks.

Probably the best replacement would be a vinyl coated aluminum panel. These are generic to the residential siding business. They come in different profiles and colors so choice is endless. Your local siding distributor will carry them.

If you were closer, I'd be dropping off a bid for you. I would think that any competent siding installer could do the job. They just need to be somewhat conversant with RV's so that window and door openings are set up correctly and that the roof-->siding joint is established well. Otherwise, it is very similar to siding a house.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

KilroyGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank FEMA for this one. "Good job Brownie".

Cruiseomatic
Explorer
Explorer
It is all aluminum. I was told of a place called Macs aluminum and the panels come pre-painted. I just can't see shipping 20+ ft. of siding... Would a siding company have the panels I need for this? A lot of the body is banged up. A replacement panel here and there wouldn't really do it. Thanks.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't a Gulfstream Cavalier an aluminum sided rig? If so, the above pricing doesn't apply. You could get replacement siding for the bad areas and repaint all of it. You can also hire a competent tin bender (siding professional) to replace all of it. I painted mine after I threw some aluminum panels in the places where windows no longer exist.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

1711tab
Explorer
Explorer
Cruiseomatic wrote:
I've got a '06 Cavalier. The skin is in rough shape. Thought about patch panels for some areas. Then I got to thinking about just replacing all the skin with a more common type and for the fresh paint. So not only does the current skin need patches, It also needs paint. What would I be looking at with this? Thanks.

It's approximately $12,000.00 to re-skin and $12,000.00 to paint on a 40' motor home... Not cheap... This is for a fiber glass re-skin quote...

Tim

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
a few years after we bought our new Itasca Suncruiser (and AFTER it was out of warranty) our dealer discovered that there were many spots on the exterior where the fiberglass was 'popping'...small pencil eraser sized areas. they contacted Winnebago who agreed to replace the entire fiberglass exterior for us...nose to tail, both sides...at zero cost to us. all we had to do was remove everything from the interior, deliver it to and pick it up from forest city.

the point is that the exterior fiberglass *can* be replaced by Winnebago but I have no idea what it would cost. won't be cheap.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle