cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble with my water pump

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
So we've been boondocking for the past two weeks around Yellowstone and Grand Teton and I seem to be having an issue with my water pump. It seems has been very intermittent but seems to be getting worse. It seems to be cycling for the briefest of moments, over and over. At first I noticed it doing it two or three times every thirty minutes or so but recently it has been doing it almost constantly but still intermittently. If cut the pump off and then back on it will usually stop. Then it may start again the next time we use water from any fixture or it may go a day before doing it again. I have linked to a sound file of what it sounds like when it is doing it over and over and over.......
http://totaltravelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Voice00001.3gp.

I've checked for any leaks either from the fixtures or any plumbing I can see and all seems to be good. So I'm thinking the problem is with the pump itself, especially since cutting it off and then back on seems to fix it, usually. From reading a bit it sounds like it may be the check valve in the pump, or maybe the pressure sensor?

I have a 2003 Shurflo 5900-0211. Looking around it appears that a rebuild kit is not available anymore and neither is the pump itself. Other than this, the pump has been decent if a little loud and jerky sometimes. I think the 4048 is the current replacement for it.

Is there anything else I should check before I go ahead and replace the pump? I'm really not looking forward to it, it's a really tight area. Just getting the model number was a feat. If replacement is the way to go do you think I should go with the 4048 or do you have any other recommendations?

As always, thanks for the advice,

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
5 REPLIES 5

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2003 5.7, it's good to know that the 4048 will be a good replacement for it. It's actually working fine again now but I think it's just a matter of time before it completely ***** out on me. I'd rather take care of it at the time of my choosing rather than its, lol. It's going to be real tight connecting the new one. There is no way it has 2cu ft of clearance.

Thanks again,

Tim Czarkowski
Totaltravelers.com
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a little background on the 5.7 if anyone is interested.

The original pump was a great unit that normally provided many years of service. Somewhere along the line, the supplier for the pressure sensor went out of business leaving SF high and dry (pardon the pun). SF had to redesign the pump, and for what ever reason couldn't seem to get it right. Most were lucky to get a year or two out of the new design and SF replaced many under their warranty. Finally, SF came out with the 4048

I personally had 4 of the new design 5.7's replaced, the last of which was replaced by a 4048 which is still going strong after 3 years.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 5900 series is the Smart Sensor 5.7 Pump.

Shurflo recommends pump be installed in area with at least 2 cubic ft. of space around pump to have adequate airflow for cooling. RV Mfg. rarely follow that recommendation.

Pump is not worth messing with.
Replace with 4048 model.....on sale for $142 LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the number, but if it's the old 5.7 variable speed pump, it's time for a new one. The pump probably has water in the electronics and is overheating, causing a thermal shutoff. My last 5.7 got so hot that it actually melted some wires that were touching it.

My 4048 replacement has proven to be an excellent choice. It runs at one speed and varies the flow by bypassing the water that is not used. That, IMHO, makes for a much more reliable pump.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When in doubt call Shurflo. Do you have a strainer on the inlet side that may be clogged or nearly so?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)