cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade old Magnatek converter or replace?

-Lqdskier
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a 94 Tioga Montara and am contemplating upgrading the Magnatek converter/charger and was wondering if I should get a upgrade kit from Best Converters or just buy a whole new unit like a Progressive Dynamics.
Thanks, Mike
25 REPLIES 25

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the 8355 comes with TempAssure already installed, I will return the PD4655V. If it is not already installed, I would have a bear of a time getting the temperature sensor to the battery. The converter/charger is on the wrong side of the trailer, and halfway down the length. On top of that, the belly of the trailer is enclosed, so I can't just go through the floor and fasten it under the trailer.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 8300 appears to have a 4400 as its lower portion instead of the 7300. I had a 4455TC and it was very good (until I accidentally fried it--RIP!)

However, unless it has the TempAssure module in it (it just plugs in--easy!) it will not do the half volt jump for boost, so it is about same performance as the 7300 (also good for a single voltage 13.8) as is. If you get the 4400 with no TempAssure, be sure to get one--BIG DIFF in performance.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Parallax-Paramode-with-TempAssure_c_104.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You are far better off with the PDI unit.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Owners Manual

Forum is being broken- trying to quote from that, but look at the optional TempAssure module, which I assume Airstream would include, given that they don't really give those things away ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
The Parallax website has nothing on this.
???

http://www.parallaxpower.com/8355-power-center-8355

Special Features:
30 Amp Shore service; 11 Position fuse block with blown fuse indicators; TempAssure option ready; durable steel enclosure

http://www.bestconverter.com/8300-Series_c_87.html

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
-Lqdskier wrote:
That sounds like a great option, Bobbo. Do I need any additional components or is the kit complete? I pretty sure mine is the 6300 series.

The kit is complete. It even comes with a new 12v distribution board that has the charge wizard built in.

Chris Bryant wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I replaced the MagnaJunk 7345 in my old Winnebago with a PD4655V from Best Converters years ago. I sold my Winnebago last month and bought an Airstream. The Airstream comes with a Parallax (aka MagnaJunk) 8355 converter. It will be delivered next week, and I have a brand spanking new PD4655V from Best Converters sitting in the garage even as we type. The 8355 will never even be plugged in at this house.

YMMV

Umm- you do know that the 8300 series has the option of temperature corrected 4 stage charging- something the PD doesn't offer?

The 6300 and 7300 series are not good, but the 8300 series is different.

No. Please educate me. I am not above returning the PD4655V. The Parallax website has nothing on this.
Bobbo and Lin

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
-Lqdskier wrote:
That sounds like a great option, Bobbo. Do I need any additional components or is the kit complete? I pretty sure mine is the 6300 series.

You need to "jumper" the 6300's fuse panel to use it with a newer converter, or you can buy a new fuse panel that works with the 7300 or others.

Beware of the upgrade kits 7300R and Ultra which get you a 7300 or a WFCO (unsat) You can get an upgrade using PowerMax or PD for less money and have a way better converter.

I disagree with Bobbo and the 7300. Works great as a shore power converter and ours has lasted years and years (2002 built rig) I use different chargers for fast charging with generator power off grid though. Single 13.8v from the 7300 is not enough for that job.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I replaced the MagnaJunk 7345 in my old Winnebago with a PD4655V from Best Converters years ago. I sold my Winnebago last month and bought an Airstream. The Airstream comes with a Parallax (aka MagnaJunk) 8355 converter. It will be delivered next week, and I have a brand spanking new PD4655V from Best Converters sitting in the garage even as we type. The 8355 will never even be plugged in at this house.

YMMV

Umm- you do know that the 8300 series has the option of temperature corrected 4 stage charging- something the PD doesn't offer?

The 6300 and 7300 series are not good, but the 8300 series is different.
-- Chris Bryant

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know enough about Magnatek converters to say they are junk but I do like how the PD series work better than my Magnatek Model 7445. I also though that the PD Wizard was unnecessary until I installed one in my 1990 Bounder. Now I to plan on replacing the Magnatek as soon as I finish the new planter in the front yard and replace our entry doors. At that point our remodel will, for me at least, be complete and hopefully free up some of our expendable income.

I did not go through BestConverters for the upgrade for the Bounder but I will for the replacement for the Magnatek. The Magnatek cooling fan is very noisy in comparison to the PD, I can hear it without having my hearing aids in.

I just posted my reply after your replied to Bobbo and Chris replied to you, I cannot remember the name of the guy at Best Converters but I do know Chris from posts here on RV.NET and respect his judgment. I'd call BC and ask which is "best, easiest and fits your budget and needs". Ask about the 8300 series at that time.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

-Lqdskier
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II

YMMV
Bobbo and Lin