cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water cooler fan switch

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend gave me a nice portable swamp cooler but the high/low fand switch is stuck on high. It takes on-off-on rocker switch. Can't find one in town but I have two on- off rocker switches. I wired them one on high and one on low. Works good for low and high. Maybe low is a little low. I found if you switch them both on at the same time I get a medium which is pretty nice. However I'm not sure I'm suppose to do this and don't want to smoke a motor. Have pic of wiring diagram.Electric guru's what's your take on this?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
10 REPLIES 10

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I'll be darned got the old switch and Googled the numbers instead of try to find dealers. First up got a hit, Diga-Key electronics. Exact same on off on with 6 spades connectors. $4 and $6 shipping! Cooler company want over $30 shipped. On the way with 2-3 day delivery!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep will be on the look out for a switch but she's a working now. How come not one has fixed my giant picture yet? LOL 🙂

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most electronic stores will have a 20 amp on/off/on switch,, that should do the job.. With luck you can even match the original switch size.

Radio shack may well have a 10 amp.. Since the fan motor is likely a faraction of that (10 amps would be roughly 1 HP of motor) you might get by with a Radio Shack switch
(I would never try to put a 10 amp load on one of their switches)

Some "industrial supply" Like Granger may be able to make you happy as well.

Take old switch with you. LABEL WIRES 1-2-3 before you remove them from switch *Assuming 3 wires on switch*.. also if you want low full time,, Swap 1 and 3 that way you can tell if it's a switch issue or a motor issue.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, I gave up that idea. Sure don't need to burn up the motor.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most 2 speed motors are '2 speed/1 winding' design...cheap to produce and easy to configure

Low speed and High speed tap into motor windings at different locations

Your drawing...
Hot comes into middle terminal of On/OFF/ON.
Top ON..power goes out Black for High
Bottom ON....power goes out RED for Low

Your 2 ON/OFF switches......
1 switch....Hot in/power out to Black (High)
1 switch....Hot in/power out to RED (Low)

ONLY one switch ON at a time........otherwise you are supply power to windings at same time/different locations and although motor may be at a 'middle speed' it was NOT designed to function in that mode.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
I used a simple three way wall switch when I first installed my swamp cooler at my home. no way to energize both windings.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTPO1 wrote:
I would not use them both at the same time for a medium setting as the original switch is either high or low. By what I see in the diagram it is either high or low. JMO

Yeah, I don't really understand how motors are made to run low or high. I got three speed fans and I have seen them run with a rheostat. That why I'm asking.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I would not use them both at the same time for a medium setting as the original switch is either high or low. By what I see in the diagram it is either high or low. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
any auto parts store will have that switch

Not here. Town of 100,000. It is almost as wide as two normal single switches. Found one on-off switch that was wider than standard but it was too big. Don't want to hog out the hole, unit is too nice. Can order from manufacture but they only come as a pair of pump and fan switch. About $30 for the pair. Mine were free, just my price range. 🙂 I will continue to look for the proper switch but using my cooler now. I like the medium setting also.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
any auto parts store will have that switch