Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump Runs and runs and runs ???

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.

Recently ran out of water. When I did fill the tank and turn the pump
on, I have water but not as forceful as before, however, the pump runs and does not shut off. Even with all faucets shut off.

Any tips on where to start are greatly appreciated.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you ran out of water. Then filled the tank and now you have less pressure and the pump never shuts off. That points to a clogged Water Pump filter. When you run out of water, that allows plastic debris in the tank to be sucked into the Water Pump filter. That restricts the correct flow of water to be pulled from the Fresh tank. Check the filter. It is connected to the inlet side of the water pump. Doug

PS, if this is the case, the filter did its job.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
These pumps will push air but not very hard. You need to open a tap to release the back pressure so it can pump the air until it receives water in the inlet line.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
For years I thought it was normal to need to prime the pump after emptying and starting a fresh tank of water. I keep a couple of feet of clear tubing on the antifreeze inlet which is convenient for priming - just fill the hose with water, pump a few seconds then switch the pump over to the tank inlet. Oh, and the underfloor water tank had to be very full.

Then someone on this forum posted that the pump needed a new rubber part, the RV store guy knew exactly what I needed when I showed a phone photo of the model plate on the pump. Now the pump needs no priming.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
To get prime back open all the cold side faucets for a few seconds until the water pressure is back. 30 seconds should do it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it sucks up any tiny piece of debris and it gets stuck in the diapragm it will do as you describe. I've had to fix mine twice!
Just take the head apart (easy) and rinse off all the parts - then reassemble.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fill valve in wrong position

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pump needs to prime.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you filled from the city water connection (vs. a gravity fill port), I would venture to guess that the fill valve didn't get shut off all the way. The pump is circulating water through the tank. Closing the fill valve should, of course, fix that problem.