cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What sealant should I use between AC gasket and roof?

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a Penguin II low profile roof AC unit.

What sealant do you recommend to fasten the gasket to the roof?
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
14 REPLIES 14

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
The trouble with using a sealant is that the gaskets are expendable- they will need replacing at some point. If the gasket is sealed to the roof, you've added a huge amount of time to the job- getting the roof clean and smooth.

This I learned, but the old gaskets did last 20 years before the refrigerant blew out......

Installed the new AC without sealant although I will not last as long as the old gaskets did.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The trouble with using a sealant is that the gaskets are expendable- they will need replacing at some point. If the gasket is sealed to the roof, you've added a huge amount of time to the job- getting the roof clean and smooth.
-- Chris Bryant

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
sjholt wrote:
If it was mine, I would smear a light coat of RTV on the none sticking surface as additional insurance. I did say if it was mine.

It's your rig, you can do anything you want with it but no A/C manufacturer recommends the use of any sealant, just a properly torqued rubber seal affixed to the underside of the top unit. The only "additional insurance" required is periodically checking to make sure those four bolts securing the top unit in place are properly torqued, which I think is the message many in this discussion have been trying to relay to the OP. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
If it was mine, I would smear a light coat of RTV on the none sticking surface as additional insurance. I did say if it was mine.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
X2. If you want to do the job right, grab a clicker torque wrench from Harbor Freight, then find the maker's torque recommendations and use those. Hard to go wrong that way.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
NOTHING!!

Clean roof area around opening, Clean A/C Unit pan where old gasket was.

Install new gasket and set A/C Unit.

Tighten the 4 hold down bolts finger tight in cross pattern.
Then slowly 'snug' them up until gasket has been compressed by half (1" thick compressed to 1/2")
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.........just hand snug (Can crush gasket, warp roof and/or A/C Pan and cause leaks)

X1

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Gasket IS the sealant. You do not use any other product. Just the gasket, That is what gaskets do, they seal.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

I just removed my, at least 13 year old and likely 20 year old, Dometic Penguin AC unit. It was held very solidly to the roof with sealant.

I was surprised and disappointed in the extra two hours required to remove the old AC and clean the residual with a scraper and acetone.

Hence my question. I will put the new one on with no sealant!
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
No sealant required, just proper torque on bolts.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I worked on the emergency vehicles at my work with rooftop A/C units that where leaking. The gasket had compressed itself while it was parked, and now the bolts where loose. Like I could turn them 3 turns before they made contact with the inside frame of the A/C/ Then I tightened with a nut driver.

You can use a socket wrench and extension to make it easy for you, but do not "Tighten" beyond finger tight and about 2-3 more turns. Then check it again in a month or so, and snug it down a bit more if required. After 2 years, check it again.

The bolt is probably a 3/8" X 18 threads per inch. So each turn is 1/18" compression on the gasket. 2 turns = about 1/8".

Good luck,

Fred.

Dometic lists an actual torque value when you originally compress the gasket from it's 1" to 1/2" size and that is approximately 40 to 50 inch-lbs so you might use that value to retorque a gasket that is older.

That mumber is from the 6-03 579 installation and operating instructions.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I worked on the emergency vehicles at my work with rooftop A/C units that where leaking. The gasket had compressed itself while it was parked, and now the bolts where loose. Like I could turn them 3 turns before they made contact with the inside frame of the A/C/ Then I tightened with a nut driver.

You can use a socket wrench and extension to make it easy for you, but do not "Tighten" beyond finger tight and about 2-3 more turns. Then check it again in a month or so, and snug it down a bit more if required. After 2 years, check it again.

The bolt is probably a 3/8" X 18 threads per inch. So each turn is 1/18" compression on the gasket. 2 turns = about 1/8".

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the best of my knowledge, gravity is all that is required to attach it to the roof...assisted slightly by the mounting bolts. The gasket is the seal. It would be nice if all the other things that go through the roof were as straightforward to seal properly.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
NOTHING!!

Clean roof area around opening, Clean A/C Unit pan where old gasket was.

Install new gasket and set A/C Unit.

Tighten the 4 hold down bolts finger tight in cross pattern.
Then slowly 'snug' them up until gasket has been compressed by half (1" thick compressed to 1/2")
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.........just hand snug (Can crush gasket, warp roof and/or A/C Pan and cause leaks)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The new gasket will have one side that is peel and stick. It sticks onto the ac unit. At least the 2 that I have worked on were like that.