cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whats with this strange looking Dexter brake adjuster?

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I had a wheel brake assembly on the trailer making a metal to metal dragging sound so I pulled it apart. What I found was the adjuster spring broke which allowed the adjuster to fall out of position. Not much damage but the adjuster is toast. Strange though because even though its an adjuster, there is no star wheel but rather a smooth surface where you'd think the star wheel should be.

I tried to find another adjuster at the local shop and they only had an adjuster with a star wheel. So I went online and still couldn't find this "non-star wheel" adjuster. What the heck is it? Is it supposed to adjust automatically? Is it a "one time" adjuster? Is it meant to be adjusted at all?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
12 REPLIES 12

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have self adjusting brakes; as I remember, the adjusters don't look like they have "teeth".

Doug

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Read above and you'll see where I sheepishly found them to be broken after thinking they were supposed to be smooth.

I called Dexter and they acted like they wanted to help but since I didnt have the axle tag number on hand, I couldnt give them all the information they needed to address the situation and maybe get me some replacement adjusters. I havent called them back but really its just been easier and quicker to pick up some new adjusters at the local shop and take the time to put things together back in order.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never seen adjusters that didn't have notches for a brake tool. Does it look worn/broken, or like it was originally smooth?
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have 7" Dexter brakes on my snowmobile trailer. The star snaps right off like the are made of potato chips. Worse, Dexter doesn't sell replacement adjusters for the 7" brakes, you are to replace the entire assembly. I made adjusters from stainless steel.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wonder what previous owner did .....and WHY :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
OK.....OK.....I feel like a fool for not better investigating the parts but yes, you are all correct in that these are star wheel adjusters. But for whatever crazy reason the star tips have snapped off which means it look like there was nothing there.

To add to the weirdness of it all, I cant understand why this would happen. Like I mentioned, this trailer has maybe around 2000-3000 miles on it so what would cause the star adjusters to fall apart like this?

Again, I'll be calling Dexter and seeing if they can add some input on this situation.

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry..... I should have been clear in saying that I took apart another wheel to confirm what was missing and how things should look. Not only is the destroyed adjuster smooth but the other brake assembly looks exactly the same. So yes, these are some odd looking "non star wheel" adjusters. I'm surprised to see that no one has heard of them because they're not smoothed off or replaced. These are Dexter parts from around the year 2005 and they have maybe 2000 miles on them. I'll be calling Dexter tomorrow. :h

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Even the self adjust ones, like in that video, has a star wheel.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
What did the adjuster look like before it became "toast" ?

Maybe you should look another wheel on your trailer.

X2, Maybe it looked like a star wheel before rounding out and becoming toast. I would look at the other side and see what it looks like. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
You might check on the Dexter site or call them. My old Dexter brakes had the star adjuster.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
What did the adjuster look like before it became "toast" ?

Maybe you should look another wheel on your trailer.