cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 V plug question

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an LED TV last night i the camper. It has a transformer that plugs into a regular 120V outlet and feeds the TV 12V DC. The plug going into the RV is a round barrel plug that is hollow in the center. I bought one of these plugs last night so I can wire the TV straight to 12V power and use the TV when camping without hook-ups. My question is how are these plugs wired are for a positive / negative. Does the posistive where attach to the outside conductor of the barrel plug or the inner portion?
9 REPLIES 9

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
It should state the voltage output and polarity on the transformer. I bought a universal transformer with adjustable voltage and interchangeable plug sizes and polarities at Radioshack. Probably wouldn't handle a TV, but would operate radios, fans etc.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
On the back of the television there will be a diagram next to where you plug in the power supply. It will show a '+' or '-' sign with a line indicating that the + or - is the center and that the other is the outside.

You could also use a volt meter to indicate polarity as TT_Tim has attached the diagram. Place the red (positive) lead on the center, and the black on the outer. If you get 12V, then the center is the positive. If you get -12V (notice the minus sign), then the outer is the positive.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Weasel1USA
Explorer
Explorer
What aarond76 said is the best advise and a very nice graphic of how to do it, unless you're using a analog volt meter, in which case the needle tries to go backward. In that case the center is the negative terminal.

TT_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
aarond76 wrote:
So educate me. How do I check with a volt meter?

If the digital readout is as shows (12.7) the center is wired to positive.
If the readout is -12.7 the center is wired to Negative.

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
So educate me. How do I check with a volt meter?

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Many of these type of plugs are designed for use with cigarette lighters (which don't CARE which way they're wired). Your TV probably does care so DO check it carefully.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
mbopp wrote:
Positive should be on the center pin. I'd verify it with a voltmeter first.

X2, verify - I've seen them reversed.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Positive should be on the center pin. I'd verify it with a voltmeter first.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
inner or center