cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 volt frige

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our new highland ridge bunkhouse camper!! Got to learn everything about it now. It has a 12 volt frige and I never had one before. If I am correct it is 12 all the time even when plugged into shore power. anyone else have one? Do you like it?
16 REPLIES 16

jeeperman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes 12volt all the time.
As long as you keep your battery charged you will have a cold fridge.
When boondocking run solor

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
afidel wrote:
Yeah, 12V compressor fridges have been the up and coming thing for about the last 18 months in the RV world. They're ~$400 cheaper, 30% larger internal capacity, faster to cool down, and don't need to be perfectly level compared to the 8 cu foot absorption fridge they're replacing. Plus with solar they'll go forever. You don't even need that much solar, a single 100W panel and 2x T110 batteries ran one at Dometic for 21 days, not sure if it actually died due to too many cloudy days or if they just stopped the test.
That will be something I'll be looking for to replace mine. Summer camping in the Florida heat requires a shaded site, a re-circulation fan inside and blue ice blocks rotated from the fridge to the freezer - and ice cream is never frozen.

Not available in 12+ cubic foot sizes yet, but based on adoption for the 8 I'm sure they're working on sourcing a bigger compressor.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Yeah, 12V compressor fridges have been the up and coming thing for about the last 18 months in the RV world. They're ~$400 cheaper, 30% larger internal capacity, faster to cool down, and don't need to be perfectly level compared to the 8 cu foot absorption fridge they're replacing. Plus with solar they'll go forever. You don't even need that much solar, a single 100W panel and 2x T110 batteries ran one at Dometic for 21 days, not sure if it actually died due to too many cloudy days or if they just stopped the test.
That will be something I'll be looking for to replace mine. Summer camping in the Florida heat requires a shaded site, a re-circulation fan inside and blue ice blocks rotated from the fridge to the freezer - and ice cream is never frozen.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was that Butler RV Center that did such a great job explaining how everything worked on the walk thru?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Modern inverters don't waste much.

(Besides, those 12v compressor refrigerators work by having an internal 3 phase inverter !)

Strange. My studies on Truck Fridge, the compress runs on 12/24 V DC. Some models have a converter for when 120 is available.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
... for at least a couple of decades the trucking industry has had available a 12 V compressor operated fridge I have heard some are making way to RV world.

Yes, they are become popular because they can keep frozen foods frozen even when the outside temperature is in the 90s !

JRscooby wrote:
I do not stand under why RVers want to store solar power as 12 V then waste some turning it into 120 to power the fridge.

Modern inverters don't waste much.

(Besides, those 12v compressor refrigerators work by having an internal 3 phase inverter !)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
New to me, but i never had new stuff. The fridge costs 1/10th of my whole TT, lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
My 2021 Solaire 260FKBS has a residential EverChill 10.7 CU. FT. refrigerator (model #WD-282FWDC). There is a compressor. Here’s what the manual says:

"This refrigerator requires a standard 10.5-17V, electricity >= 17A. Direct connection with AC power is forbidden. This refrigerator is not designed to be used with an inverter."
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what the OP has since no model is given. 12vdc compressor type refers have been used in marine applications fro years. They normally run on 120 VAC when available then switch to 12 VDC when AC is not available. When in DC mode the current draw is generally in the 5 to 8 amp range.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
old idaho guy wrote:
We have a 2020 Coachmen Pursuit xps that has a 12 compressor refrigerator. No propane. Recommend some solar panels. The refrigerator is 12 cubic feet and works very well. We only camped in it once and had to run the generator for AC so I am not sure if the 200 watt solar panels can keep up.

Run gen for AC. On MH this is another that baffles me. APU on a truck uses a small engine to drive a AC compressor, and a alternator

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
question if its only 12v ?it would run a battery dead real quick. find a friend and have then do a walk threw on your rv,show you where things are and what they do,have fun.

Sjm9911 wrote:
Look for a controll panel on the fridge. It might be outside under the fridge vents. Or on the front. I've really never seen a fridge that was just 12 volts in a camper. As stated it will drin the battery fast. Plus they dont cool very well on 12 volts. More then likely you have a 3 way fridge.

Both of these assume you have a absorption fridge. In the unlikely event you have one that is 12 only, they speak true. But for at least a couple of decades the trucking industry has had available a 12 V compressor operated fridge I have heard some are making way to RV world.
I never had 1, but friends did. One had to catch the bird home from Dallas, left his truck in a truckstop. By the time I got there to bring it home it had been sitting 4 days in Aug sun. I expected to need to jump start it because truck had same batteries as mine. When Cat started, I decided to do him another favor and MT the fridge. Opened the door, stole a ice-cream bar, and headed for home.
I do not stand under why RVers want to store solar power as 12 V then waste some turning it into 120 to power the fridge.

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2020 Coachmen Pursuit xps that has a 12 compressor refrigerator. No propane. Recommend some solar panels. The refrigerator is 12 cubic feet and works very well. We only camped in it once and had to run the generator for AC so I am not sure if the 200 watt solar panels can keep up.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of refer?
I would say it is propane controlled by 12 volts DC!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker