Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 - F250 diesel - your opinon please

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
A friend's dad is selling a 2005 F-250 diesel - larriet 4x4 with an off road package. It has 150,000 Km but I know he took very good care of it. He is asking $17,000 Canadian. We would be replacing an 05 Durango with 260,000 Km - Has been a good vehicle but the higher millage is scaring me a bit to trust it very far.

What do you think of the F250? Did ford make a good diesel/tranny? Would this be a good choice for a pull vehicle and a daily driver to replace my wife's durango? - are they fairly reliable? - decent cost to opperate as long as major problems don't come up? She drives 20 on the minutes on the highway each way to work.

I know it would easily handle the 30' bullet TT that we have know. Would it be enough truck to someday pull a moderate sized 5th wheel?

Hadn't realy been looking for another vehicle but this one just came up and he just listed it today. If its a good deal on a good truck I wouldn't want to let it go.

Thanks much for the time.
31 REPLIES 31

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
These International engines had a relatively good record in MDT trucks (from what I am told) but in the Ford trucks they had different tuning and components (emissions) that sometimes were the cause of many problems. Now after saying that I bought an 03 Excursion with 230K miles for a DD that was bone stock (except K&N) spent some $$$ replacing worn components and bulletproofing and I just completed a project on a 07 F250 King Ranch 6.0L with 67K.

I would recommend that if you seriously consider one that you read up on all the known weaknesses, problems and become familiar with some of the common engine components/sensors that require attention.
Some of the common ones:
EBP-exhaust backpressure sensor
ICP-injector control pressure sensor
IPR valve-injection pressure regulator
FICM-fuel injection control module
STC fitting
HPOP-high pressure oil pump
dummy plugs and standpipes
degas bottle (and cap)
VGT-variable geometry turbo
EGR valve or delete
Blue spring mod
Not to mention reading about Ford Gold coolant vs ELC coolant, using only OEM quality filters, keeping fresh fluids at their intervals, do not allow to idle excessively and get on it every so often if it is not worked hard.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not saying it was the fastest thing out there. Just that if you want to HotRod an 8000 lb truck you better be able to pay the price. By the way, if you want to hop up a 6.4 you gotta do big $$$$ also, to make it bulletproof..I know as my brother has his at the flip of a switch to up over 1000 lb/ft torque.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Shadow_Grey wrote:

Problem with drag racing a Ford Powerjoke is that no one will come and watch!

:B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bedlam
My 2005 6.0 has done well and has been worked all its life. It was never a daily driver, although it do mountain passes unloaded in bad weather. In 2005, there were major upgrades in suspension, frame and brakes on the F250 (even though the body style did not change) which has given mine the capability to go from towing a toy hauler to hauling a truck camper with enclosed trailer in tow.

Others have not had not a positive experience...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow_Grey wrote:
As long as you treat your truck nice it will be nice to you. That truck, by now, would have had problems if it is going to. DO NOT TUNE IT, unless you stud it and modify the coolant and exhaust systems! Believe me, I know! That truck was made to haul stuff like the first picture and NOT be like the second picture. The pictures below are of my now gone, 2005 F250, 4 door, 4X4, long bed. Yea, 8000 pound truck outrunning most Mustangs/Camaros/Chargers/Challengers/Corvettes everyday, especially in wet/snowy weather, was fun for a while but cost $$$$.

I have owned a 6.0 Ford...and I treated it to the best maintenance and highest quality parts available...with the 6.0, it means nothing...the engine is literally a "roll of the dice"...

Bulletproofing...not really possible...I tried...I was on a second engine, one bought from a fab/design shop that worked for Ford on fitment issues with new trucks...no miles...only a few hours...put in all the "bulletproof equipment before even starting it up...15000 miles later, a turbo, that was new 28000 miles before, spit out a small piece of metal, it went through the intake and wiped out an intake valve...yep...bulletproof...not...

The 6.0 can be made better...but why start out with the cards stacked against you...there are better choices out there...yes...they cost more...but at least their track record is a good one...JMO...YMMV

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shadow_Grey wrote:

Problem with drag racing a Ford Powerjoke is that no one will come and watch!

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you treat your truck nice it will be nice to you. That truck, by now, would have had problems if it is going to. DO NOT TUNE IT, unless you stud it and modify the coolant and exhaust systems! Believe me, I know! That truck was made to haul stuff like the first picture and NOT be like the second picture. The pictures below are of my now gone, 2005 F250, 4 door, 4X4, long bed. Yea, 8000 pound truck outrunning most Mustangs/Camaros/Chargers/Challengers/Corvettes everyday, especially in wet/snowy weather, was fun for a while but cost $$$$.

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hank85713 wrote:
EOT Engine oil temp
ECT engine coolant temp

And ford is dropping the cummins from the bigger trucks as the new PSD is all they will offer.

Also anything less than 15 deg delts is good as it indicates that the oil cooler/egr are doing their jobs. The engine oil is cooled via the liquid to liquid oil cooler in the engine. Many late model veh's use this technique to keep their engines together. My son in law had a water hose let go on his mazda sedan I didnt know they were using them and ended up with warped heads!

Yes there are many acronyms for everything and as I said do your homework on the truck. My family has them and we are happy with them. SOme folks harp about them! On our trip this summer as noted by someone else, ther are many 6.0 PSD's towing and out on the roads. The issues on any board are from the few that are making the rest look bad, and ford and international did not help matters. The put out a product that they thought was ready with supposedly a million miles worth of testing and failed to prepare the work force to be able to work on them as required. International built the engine and has run it successfully so you really cant say its a terrible engine. It has it warts courtesy of ford, but the basic power plant is good IF its taken care of and in some cases even if its not.

thanks hank
now that makes sense on the difference between the engine oil and cooling water temp and why it matters.

On Powerstrokenation.com forum there is a cool feature that when a acronym like EGT is used it show up in green and you put the pointer on it and the actual name pops up you know what the shortened version stands for.

Just like when i was in the army it takes a couple years or better to get a handle on all the acronyms used and some you only see every so often which make them harder.

thanks again.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:

And ford is dropping the cummins from the bigger trucks as the new PSD is all they will offer.

I have been hearing that for years, so will see if it ever actually happens.

The 2015 F-650/750 still spec an ISB.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I owned a 05 and traded it with ~ 170k miles. It was a really good truck with very few problems and was backed by one of the best transmissions.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
EOT Engine oil temp
ECT engine coolant temp

Also anything less than 15 deg delts is good as it indicates that the oil cooler/egr are doing their jobs. The engine oil is cooled via the liquid to liquid oil cooler in the engine. Many late model veh's use this technique to keep their engines together. My son in law had a water hose let go on his mazda sedan I didnt know they were using them and ended up with warped heads!

Yes there are many acronyms for everything and as I said do your homework on the truck. My family has them and we are happy with them. SOme folks harp about them! On our trip this summer as noted by someone else, ther are many 6.0 PSD's towing and out on the roads. The issues on any board are from the few that are making the rest look bad, and ford and international did not help matters. The put out a product that they thought was ready with supposedly a million miles worth of testing and failed to prepare the work force to be able to work on them as required. International built the engine and has run it successfully so you really cant say its a terrible engine. It has it warts courtesy of ford, but the basic power plant is good IF its taken care of and in some cases even if its not.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the worst engine in pickup history, there are those with good luck and those with expensive ones. Yes any engine has it's issues, but the 6.0 was the worst. The 6.4 was slight better, and the 6.7 seems to be a little better still... But ford hasn't ran a worthy or reliable diesel snide early 2003 with the 7.3.

To show you how much confidence Ford has in their 6.7 they use the Cummins 6.7 in the F-650 and F-750 platform.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
while it would seem so simple give it a try.. put EOT/ECT in google and see what come up. more acronym that try to explain it, but not what it means..
just sayin.. so what does EOT/ECT stand for now..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
carl2591 wrote:
like many i believe with all the acronyms posted on the diesel and other sites some of us are not sure what they mean..

for instance what is EOT/ECT and why is 15 deg good.

EOT/ECT is the parameter displayed on the scan tool.

15 deg is good, because more than 15 deg or less than 15 deg is bad.

I have figure out EGT, exhaust gas temp,and some other but a lot of people do not know what they mean.. so maybe we can post the meaning of the acronyms so all can enjoy the expertise of the post.

What is the point of acronyms if you have to spell them out every time? You may as well spell them out.

If you need help figuring out the acronyms, google is your friend.

Just replying to a smarmy post in an appropriately smarmy fashion...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.