cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007.5 Dodge 2500 steering wander?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Seems this is a common problem. Steering tends to wander. At highway speeds have to make constant minor corrections. I don't believe anything is worn out as this issue has existed since new.

Steering linkage was replaced with newer 2008+ design several years ago. No improvement for wandering although handling over rough wash board dirt roads improved.

Tie rod was replaced this year as part of a recall. No change to wandering issue.

Several have stated two issues. First is a poorly designed steering box with excessive play in the output shaft. Second is excessive flexing on the steering box mount. I've been told that installing a steering stabilizer to tie the frame rails together and eliminate flex may help considerably.

Anyone have this issue with a 2007-2010 Dodge Ram 6.7L 2500 and have solved it? If solution was installing a steering box stabilizer which brand did you go with?

This is the type of device I'm looking:
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
17 REPLIES 17

wapitichaser
Explorer
Explorer
Search the web for a six bolt steering box upgrade. There is tons of info on a larger steering box that is a direct bolt in that is supposed to fix the issue. It is an OEM replacement upgrade part that you can get at the dealer or online. Good luck.

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the steering box on my 2008 3500 with only 40,000 miles on it . As I turned to the left the steering would lock up! Not good! The dealer told me it would be $1100 to fix ! I called Chrysler and told them that this was nuts as the truck has such low miles on it. They gave me a case number,and later the dealer told me to bring it in ,and it would be fixed free of charge. So I guess what I'm saying is ,that they know theres a problem and to push your case with them.

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 that does exactly as you describe. I installed the same brace as RICKIM and noticed a slight improvement. Previous to that I replaced the tie rod at the pitman arm end which had slight play and had the front end aligned. There is still something not right. I was going to try a new steering stabilizer shock next and after reading here will double check my bushings. I also switched from an off brand of tire to a set of Firestone's. The real problem I have is this slight wander and corrective action I believe is causing my trailer to sway unnecessarily. I have been fighting this problem since I purchased the truck last spring.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need a good alignment. What are you running for tires and what air pressures are you running? The third ten trucks don't have the problems like the 2nd gen trucks did.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

carlw32
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my 99 it had the death wobble I replaced the track bar that got rid of the death wobble and tightened steering up.
On my current 07 I did the steering upgrade, new stabilizer, and replaced the track bar bushings just need to get the alignment after I get it back from the shop however the steering is tight again and not wobble at highway speeds.
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD 6spd
Curt 20K Slider
2013 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB

CumminsOnYerFac
Explorer
Explorer
when my ram started wobbling i went with custom diesels steering stabilizer. they offer a good price when you consider the free shipping. no issues since

dodge steering stabilizer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I installed a steering box brace on my 07 after replacing the the steering box (power assist shuttle valve stuck and locked up the box, nothing gear related). Truck drove fine before and after the replacement but since I used a cheap Napa reman steering box I installed the brace to help it last longer.
That was over 50k mi ago and the truck drives great. Just not sure if I can attribute it to the brace or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I did the BD Diesel version on my 2006 Dodge. Install is easy with correct tools. I had previously helped friends install these on 2nd Gen Dodge trucks. Might need a good torque wrench. They can usually be rented from Autozone or similar type store in your neighborhood.

GOrsted
Explorer
Explorer
If the steering/suspension parts are all in good condition, what you need is someone who knows how to do a front end alignment. My '06 was starting to wander a few years ago and the front end was in good shape. At the time it was still under warranty and I took it took the dealer for alignment in case there were parts that needed to be replaced. Their answer was an alignment which caused it to continually pull to the right. Granted it didn't "wander" the roadway, but was quite fatiguing to drive.

Took it to the only mechanic I will allow to work on my vehicles outside of warranty work and he aligned it and it drove great again. He said the alignment when I brought it in was "spot on", dead center of specs. He aligned it so that it would drive nice. You need someone who "knows" how to align it and doesn't just make sure it is "in specs". IMHO
Glenn (Dad) & Beth (Mom)
David & Audra (the twins - 12 YO)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (2500) 5.7 Hemi, auto, 4.56

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I have all my vehicles' wheels aligned once yearly--whether they need it or not. With the prices of modern tires, I need all the mileage I can get out of them.

Only a quality alignment shop can diagnose a wandering situation accurately. Trucks are really tough on tie rod ends and lower ball joints. I suggest you get your truck professionally inspected.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My local truck supply has a decent price for BD Diesels version that looks similar and decent reviews. Might just have a project for this weekend!

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your a little mechanically inclined and have decent wrenches/tools, yes, it should only take you 30-45 minutes tops.
Be sure to support the sway bar so you don't get whacked in the teeth with it. :B
You'll need to grease the bearing after install also.

I used a little anti-seize inside the bearing and also better washers, as the ones they give you weren't to my liking. Bolts were grade 5 but washers were not.

Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT’s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
RICKIM wrote:
Then went to this, Click.

Steering is much improved as far as tightness and responsiveness, and no wandering.Rick

Is this a simple do it yourself one person job to install? Website indicates 1/2 hour install so I'm assuming yes.

Idahoan
Explorer
Explorer
I have had steering issues also and have been considering a stablaizer also. I replaced ball joints, tie rod ends and track bar and it seemed steering got worse. I had a steering box replaced a few years ago under warranty and after replacing all the parts my steering felt a lot like when the steering box went out. I was figuring that is what I would have to do again. One day I noticed my sway bar end bushing bolt was broken off and missing. I replaced both sides and it was a considerable improvement in steering. Might check yours also
2017 RAM 3500 CTD
2017 Sandstorm 286GSLR
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450
2017 YZ250FX
2011 KTM 250XC
2013 Kawasaki KLX140