cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 F150 info

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to purchase a 2011 F150 EcoBoost. As some of you may know I work for a Chrysler dealer, but we have no used Ram trucks, I cant afford a new one right now due to my wifes medical problems (needs a liver transplant). But the good news is the company I work for also has a ford dealership and a Toyota dealership. We have 4 or 5 ford trucks on hand .

Is there anything I should look for, any weakness. I will be towing a 2015 Viking FQ17 weight loaded is less that 4k hitch weight around 650. Right now I tow it with a 2005 jeep liberty with no real problems other than could use a little more power, it kinda struggles when on the interstate. I travel the interstate quite often when we need to go to Cleveland clinic for her dr appointments and take the TT and stay a campground near the clinic.
Mel Scwhentner
Chrysler tech/shop foreman 40 years
A.S.E mastertech certfied 30+year
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ
14 REPLIES 14

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
I'm behind on up dates because my stepdaughter is in the hospital having my next granddaughter her first my 4th. Any way looked at this truck and it looks like i it wasrode hard and put away wet. Is jit packed full of mud and lots of oil leaks. But I did find another truck . but will ask about it later when I get home using phone right now.
Mel Scwhentner
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
The frame is very stout and the 6R80 had manual shifting starting in 2011. So you have much better control of the unit. There have been several revisions to the turbos used on the Ecoboost from 2011 to 2014. I think late 2012 is when they settled on some slightly larger turbos than from 2011. There have been several flashes and wind deflector upgrades, but I think the 2014 F-150's had no deflector and instead just had a different engine calibration to fend-off the condensation issue. I loved my 2010 and know it would had been a better truck with the ecoboost (power wise, not mpg wise).
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers for your wife. We just celebrated one year of my father having a double transplant (liver and kidney). It's given him a new life. Your wife's time will come. 🙂

I towed that same weight for 6k miles across the desert southwest. Didn't hardly know we had the trailer with us. Plenty, plenty of truck for that weight. Now I tow about 7500 pounds, and it still does a great job, but I know it's there. 😉

Isn't 2011 the first model year? If so, there were a few issues to educate yourself on. I don't know much about them, but I would research closely.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer will be a piece of cake. See my sig for what I tow. I have 45k miles, 10k of that towing. Not one issue. Having said that, I did recently install a Wagner intercooler. Not because of condensation, but to bring the charged air temp down when towing. The OEM intercooler will heat soak pretty easily at slow speed, reducing power.

Also, get a Max Tow if you can and stay away from the Lariat or King Ranch, since those trim levels really reduce your payload. Although you should be fine with the trailer you described.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Prayers for your wife....
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Axle codes are on the door sticker. In reality, any gears will tow the trailer you have just fine. I have 3.55 gears in mine, and it tows my 6500# trailer remarkably well.

The EB is easily my favorite 1/2 ton powertrain right now. My '11 has been great thus far. 17.7 mpg lifetime (including towing), lots of power, just a great truck. I have had to replace the blender door or blender motor or something (800 miles out of warranty!), but that's been the only hiccup so far.

Good luck.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
Our ford dealership is about 45 mim away all I did last night was take it for a quick ride, seemed to run fine, I noticed a few things that I can take care of, but no major rattles or bangs. it will need tires soon. It does have the brake controller in dash, not real sure which tow package it has. They are going to bring the truck down to our shop then I will really go over it.
Mel Scwhentner
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I had the condensation in my '12 EB. After a few trips to the dealer, a few air deflector versions, and a re-flash it's been good for two years now.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Things to look for:

Have them pull an Oasis through Ford and see if it has had any issues, specifically replaced coils/plugs/cat convertor. That is a sign of the condensation issue mentioned above. It was actually pretty limited/low percentage of trucks it shows up on. Most people drill a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler and never experience the issue again. I never had the issue, but I did drill the weep hole in my for safe measure. 31k on my 2011 model, and 8k of those pulling my TT with 100% dependability.

You also should shoot for a 3:55 gear as best for towing. 3:31 prob do pretty decent, but 355 and higher is best.

Open the drivers door and look for the yellow sticker. A payload/cargo capacity of 1500# or so means you have a decent ring and pinion and a truck that isn't weighed down with a bunch of options. There are platinum F150s out there with only 1100 cargo capacity, which can be limiting when pulling a trailer.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine had an '11 Ecoboost and it was in the shop a fair amount although I don't recall the specifics. He liked the truck overall except it had a tiny fuel tank. Now he has a '14 Ecoboost with a 36 gallon tank, and it hasn't seen the shop yet. With the size trailer you're pulling, an Ecoboost would pull it really well.

Best wishes for your wife.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers for the wife, and yes the ecoboost is a good choice. So far I have heard good things from friends who own them.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I only see one problem with that combination. You'll constantly be looking behind you to make sure that trailer is still there.

The 2011 and 2012 ecos were more prone to the condensation issue in the CAC. If you live in a high humidity area, that might be a concern. Otherwise the engines have been pretty bullet proof.

http://blog.bluespringsfordparts.com/245/ecoboost-shudder/

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife. Cleveland Clinic is about as good as they come.

No complaints on my EB. It's a 7200# GVW version with the tow package (not Max tow) and it handles our 21FBS easily. I like the ride better than DW's Toyota. It's certainly not lacking for power.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
First off, my absolute best wishes and prayers for a bright future for your wife!

Now, the F-150 with the ecoboost will make very short work of your RV. Comparing it to the TV you have now.....well, there is no comparison. I don't know them well enough to speak of the possible issue's with that particular year model. But, the ecoboost has proven a real performer that has garnered lots of praise for its ability. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more info!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!