cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Lance Right Turn Signal

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
All....we are out on our second trip of the year and discovered just as we arrived at campsite that right turn signal isn't working...nor is the right reverse light, but running lights are good to go. We have a 2014 1172. I've checked the connection at the plug to the truck as well as cleaned them with no luck. I've found reference in owners manual about a exterior light fuse box but I can't find it. Does anyone know where this would be? I'm thinking that the 7.5 amp fuse might be out. Any other ideas or places to check would be appreciated!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC
23 REPLIES 23

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I find that most RV technicians are great at pulling things apart and most forget or dont take the time to put them back together again. It must be in their training manuals because they all do it.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Allโ€ฆthanks for the helpโ€ฆas it turned out when I had some work done to repair the refrigerator last year I believe the technician must have pulled a couple of the wires out of the fuse block under the step. When I checked it again and grabbed the brown wire (right turn signal) to test it, it came up in my handโ€ฆ.reconnected and all was good.
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you've checked the bulb itself? Reason I ask is that over the years my 1995 Lance has eaten those 1157 bulbs for breakfast and spit them out later at lunch. Mine routinely used to blow one of the filaments in those bulbs, mostly on the left side, until I replaced with an LED assembly. Haven't haven't a problem since. Backup lights, same thing, used to blow the lights about every two years or so.

Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

davejodoin
Explorer
Explorer
you will find the fuse panel hiding under your step to the bed, behind the electrical box, probably mounted on the bottom of the back piece of plywood under the slide out relay module, i had to move mine so it was accessible.I ended up moving the slide out relay module to the right and moving the taillight fuse panel (which has a clear plastic cover over the fuses) betweem that and the isolator

Capt__Caper
Explorer
Explorer
The wires under the camper behind the bumper is probably the issue. And bulbs as well. I had issues with mine on both accounts after a year. Connections and grounds. Bad spot for them. Cheap wireing etc. The backup lamp has to be grounded to the frame. Best to start looking for volts there. The camper is 2013 but probably made in 2012 so it's a couple of years old. Enough to give him issues.
2011 F350 Super Duty,SRW, 6.7 PowerStroke,Crew Cab,Lariet,4x4, 3.55 Locking Diff ,Short Box.Timbrens,Happy Jack's, Gator Guard bed liner, Penda bed mat.
2012 Lance 855S 9K Coleman A/C,Duel Batteries

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
R2D1 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the TIPM can shut down a single backup light on the camper when they tied together on the same wire in the circuit. Iโ€™d be more tempted to believe that it is a poor connection in the common white ground wire that the right stop/tail and right backup light share. Does the right tail light portion of the light assembly work? If so, Iโ€™m baffled. That is, unless the lower current tail light portion is finding enough of a path to ground to illuminate? You do have LED lights, correct?

If it were me, and I didnโ€™t have a volt/ohm meter, I would go low tech and try to verify the possibility of bad ground by grabbing a wire, ground it to the truck and connect the other end of it to the spice where the white wires at the right rear light assembly come together to see if any lights work. If anything lights up, Iโ€™d assume itโ€™s a bad connection/splice on that side of the harness.

By โ€œloading lightsโ€ are you referring to what Lance calls the โ€œdocking lightsโ€? The docking lights appear to be on a separate circuit; the truckโ€™s backup light wiring does activate a relay to turn those on, but they do not appear to be in the โ€œbumper wire harness.โ€

I agree that the TIPM can't control a single B/U lamp. The OP could have more than one problem or maybe even just a missing ground.

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that the connector for the two (backup & right turn signal) has come apart, faulty or possibly a bad ground. Lance should know where and how to get to that connector.

R2D1
Explorer
Explorer
I find it hard to believe that the TIPM can shut down a single backup light on the camper when they tied together on the same wire in the circuit. Iโ€™d be more tempted to believe that it is a poor connection in the common white ground wire that the right stop/tail and right backup light share. Does the right tail light portion of the light assembly work? If so, Iโ€™m baffled. That is, unless the lower current tail light portion is finding enough of a path to ground to illuminate? You do have LED lights, correct?

If it were me, and I didnโ€™t have a volt/ohm meter, I would go low tech and try to verify the possibility of bad ground by grabbing a wire, ground it to the truck and connect the other end of it to the spice where the white wires at the right rear light assembly come together to see if any lights work. If anything lights up, Iโ€™d assume itโ€™s a bad connection/splice on that side of the harness.

By โ€œloading lightsโ€ are you referring to what Lance calls the โ€œdocking lightsโ€? The docking lights appear to be on a separate circuit; the truckโ€™s backup light wiring does activate a relay to turn those on, but they do not appear to be in the โ€œbumper wire harness.โ€

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
usmcshepherd wrote:
I have full truck lights and all lights on camper work except right rear turn signal and backup light. All connections that I can access are cleaned and tightened, but still no luck. If thisTIMP circuit is tripped would that shutdown the entire camper or just one light? Also, the right side marker light works as do the loading lights which are all part of the rear harness. I think I'm at the point of checking the current and at this point I don't have anything to check that. Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

The TIPM will shut down individual circuits. So it can shut down just one turn signal and back-up lights on the trailer connector without affecting any lights on the truck itself.
You need to get a volt meter and check for voltage where the camper plugs into the truck to isolate the issue. If you get a very low or no voltage on that connection then the truck is the culprit. But the TIPM only shuts off power if there is a real short - so you have to fix that as well or it will just happen again after the reset.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the past, I've had intermittent problems solved by replacing bulbs. I never could find anything visibly wrong with the bulbs, but replacing them fixed the circuits.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I have full truck lights and all lights on camper work except right rear turn signal and backup light. All connections that I can access are cleaned and tightened, but still no luck. If thisTIMP circuit is tripped would that shutdown the entire camper or just one light? Also, the right side marker light works as do the loading lights which are all part of the rear harness. I think I'm at the point of checking the current and at this point I don't have anything to check that. Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's the TIPM then the trucks lights will work but the TIPM will have shut off power to the campers connector. I would verify there's power to that connector before going any further.
If the TIPM is tripped then you have a short on that circuit. The TIPM will have to be reset by a dealer.

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We use die-electric grease, available from most parts stores, at all connector points. It seems to keep all the lights working. That includes the connector at the rear of the TC. I also put it on the bulb bases.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you are able to remove the actual bulb holder from behind the lens, use your meter to measure from the center of the bulb socket to a good ground on the truck. This will determine whether you have a power problem, or a return problem.

If you don't see power, then it is the feed to the bulb socket, but if you do, and it sounds like it might be two bulbs in that module, then check both sockets to a good ground... then it is the return.

If the wiring has plug in connectors that could be where the neutral wire is not making a good connection.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel