cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 GMC Sierra

acut2660
Explorer
Explorer
First let me disclaim that I have not searched all of the forum for previous links on this topic. I will apologize in advance for that. Now, is there anyone out there using a 2014 GM half ton as their TV. I just purchased a 2014 Keystone Bullet 272BHS. Dry weight is just under 5,000lbs. Based on the numbers on the trailer CCC will bring the allowed GVW to 6,500lbs. Going to be using Equalizer WDH w/ SC. Anyone out there have a similar setup? For the Ford guys out there, I have driven the F-150EB but just not real confident with Ford and my local dealer is a professional scam artist.
36 REPLIES 36

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the advise, everyone. Thnx
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
jim summers wrote:
From the Chevy charts it appears that the 1500 will trailer more and pull more than the 2500. Why is that? The comparisons (off the Chevy) website are as follows:
Silverado 2500 GVWR=9500 payload=3347 Max trailering(3.73=) 9700 GCWR(3.73)= 16000
Silverado 1500 GVWR=7200 payload = 1947 (2500 wins here)Max trailering = 11300 GCWR = 16700

I don't understand that comment about a "1500 maxing out payload first". My 6000+lb. TT has a tongue weight of 650 lbs. That leaves 1350lbs still avail payload in the Silverado 1500. If 2 pax = 400 lbs. that leaves 900 lbs in the bed. I figure my generator, compressor, truck junk, golf clubs, TT pads,etc. will weigh 300lbs. So- I can't understand about a "1500 always maxing out payload first". Not arguing, just confused.
If a new 1500 w/ max trailering pkg will trailer 11300 & its GCWR is 16700; it "seems" that my 6000 TT & a 7200lb truck (that's maxed out weight-GVWR), leave me safely at about 75% of my "factory max capability". What am I missing ? thnx again-everyone!

Jim,

Comparing the 1500 and the 2500HD, I would think it is only fair if trying to compare the max tow ratings, to compare the 4.10 gears in the 2500HD to the 3.73 in the 1500.

The 4.10 give you these numbers trailering: Max "conventional" trailer- 13,000lbs, max 5th wheel- 14,200lbs. GCWR- 20,500lbs.

Now as I understand, most people recommend 12-15% tw, so many would say your ~10% tw is light, BUT if it tows without any sway issue, then that helps with a 1500 payload!!!! Now with that said, if you had a 9,000lb trailer, for argument sake, lets use a 13% tw, which would be 1,170lb tw, 1,950-1,170= 750lb payload left. 2 passengers, rough estimate 400lbs, leaves you with 350lbs left for coolers, firewood, generator, etc. This doesn't even inclued any truck accessories like spray in bed liner, truck cap, etc. And the 9,000lb trailer is still 2,300lbs below the max trailer rating. An 11,000 trailer, 13% tw- is 1,430lbs, just 500lbs short of max payload before any passengers.

Hope this helps as to why in most situations the 1500 will run out of payload as others have posted before the max trailer weight is reached. I also think the 1500 is rated to tow such a high amount because of the 1500 truck wars. Just a crazy thought!!!

Now from the sounds of it for your 6,000lb+ trailer, even with a 13% tw of 780lbs (figuring on high side!), you still would have 1,170lbs of payload left. If your looking into a new truck, if you don't see a new, BIGGER trailer in your future, it looks like it would be a great combo!!!!

Chris
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
From the Chevy charts it appears that the 1500 will trailer more and pull more than the 2500. Why is that? The comparisons (off the Chevy) website are as follows:
Silverado 2500 GVWR=9500 payload=3347 Max trailering(3.73=) 9700 GCWR(3.73)= 16000
Silverado 1500 GVWR=7200 payload = 1947 (2500 wins here)Max trailering = 11300 GCWR = 16700

I don't understand that comment about a "1500 maxing out payload first". My 6000+lb. TT has a tongue weight of 650 lbs. That leaves 1350lbs still avail payload in the Silverado 1500. If 2 pax = 400 lbs. that leaves 900 lbs in the bed. I figure my generator, compressor, truck junk, golf clubs, TT pads,etc. will weigh 300lbs. So- I can't understand about a "1500 always maxing out payload first". Not arguing, just confused.
If a new 1500 w/ max trailering pkg will trailer 11300 & its GCWR is 16700; it "seems" that my 6000 TT & a 7200lb truck (that's maxed out weight-GVWR), leave me safely at about 75% of my "factory max capability". What am I missing ? thnx again-everyone!
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
owenssailor wrote:
The payload capability in "1/2 ton" pickups is a very real issue. It is not hard to hit the rated limits for the truck. The WD hitch and tongue weight can add up very quickly.

That limit will be reached far sooner than the towing rating.

Everything you said is correct but the OP isn't going to have those problems based on the trailer he is considering.

As a general rule you will never be able to tow the maximum ratings in a half-ton when you take payload in to consideration.

While it sounds like the OP should be fine, until he tells us everything he plans on doing to the truck and what he will load in the bed, it is hard to say for sure.

Will he add a spray in bed liner, cab high (or taller) bed cap, weeks worth of firewood, etc??? OP also stated truck will be a crew cab, but never has posted how many family members, or even the total "rough" weight of all passengers.

Does it sound like a good match, yes, but without knowing all what the OP will have in the truck it is still a "Conditional Yes" IMHO.

And I can't believe GM isn't offering a tow mirror option on the '14's!!! Wonder why!!!??? Though I haven't tried to build one myself.

Acut2660,

Do you currently have a truck/suv? If so, I know this is a crazy thought, BUT, go weigh the vehicle empty: no passenger, coolers, firewood, etc, that you think you would normally load in the new truck/ Now go home, load all passengers (even if all won't be going camping on all trips), coolers, chairs, firewood, etc up and go reweigh the vehicle. This will give you a good idea what your payload will be in the new truck. Now add about 100lbs for the hitch, then see what you have leeft over to compare to the Sierra's payload. Then decide if have enough for the trailer tongue weight and anything else you would like to do to the truck: bed cap, spray in liner, etc.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Chris

Chris,
I just did what others on here say is impossible. I just completed an 8 month-8,000 mile towing trip (32 states) with my half-ton and 29 foot trailer. A a matter of fact I put on another 10,000 miles on the truck over and above the towing miles using the truck for touring and and seeing the sights. So yes, I know a thing or two about towing with a half-ton. And I must add I had ZERO problems on the trip. Not even a flat tire running Carlisle RH tires.

Trying to get others a "buy in" to tow with a half-ton on this forum is a complete waste of time-I guess the OP doesn't know this. Your as likely to tell him to tow with a half-ton as you are to tell him to run ST tires.

CK,

If I have taken your reply the wrong way I will appologize in advance, but this is the way I read it- Please correct me if I am wrong!

I don't see where I ever stated, nor implied you don't know what your talking about when it comes to YOUR setup! Maybe re-read what I posted: The fact the OP has never even told us how much passenger weight will be in the truck, let alone what he/she plans on loading in the bed of the truck! SO what I DID say was that to be a safe answer, it is a "Conditional Yes", you should be ok with that setup.

As for your 18k mile trip you just completed, it sounds like a great trip! And yes, it gives you a good basis for making suggestions, but I go back to the fact that we (all of us who have replied to this thread) still don't know what the OP's truck will have in it before the trailer is hooked up.

As for making a statement about me telling him "you're as likely to tell him to tow with half-tons as you are to tell him to run ST tires", I didn't think you knew me. For the record, I RUN ST TIRES on our trailer!!!! Carlisle RH's as well!!! ONLY reason I would switch to LT's is not because of the "China bomb" fear, but because of the speed rating of 65mph for ST's! I know what the limitations are, so with that in mind I keep the speed down- not that I want to tow a trailer at 80+mph! Being AT the speed rating is my only concern by towing at 65ish mph. Just like moving up a load rating on a tire when the rim allows (psi rating) to have a little more margin.

And being a former (stock except LT tires, truck cap, step bars, mud flaps, vent visors, and a Curt class v hitch to eliminate the CHEAP factory round tube hitch!) '10 Chevy CCSB 4x4 5.3/6 spd/3.42 owner myself, I also know what the limitations are. I used to be in the "the trailer weight is below the tow rating, so we are all set" group! Then I learned the correct way! As I have mentioned in other post, we were about 200lbs over our gvwr, but about 200 under the rawr on our 1500. That was with a full gas tank, a family of four that weighs about 475lbs total (for now- we have twin 10yo boys who are growing!), about 130lbs of (4) bikes in the bed, a cab high Century truck cap (about 200lbs), spray in bed liner (50lbs???), tool box & milk crate with a bottle jack and a couple boards for the jack (maybe 50lbs???). Our tw was 920lbs if I remember right (scale slips are at home). Yellow sticker rated payload was 1550lbs. Didn't even have any coolers or firewood in the truck (they were in the trailer when we hed the 1500), and we were over the gvwr. And my wife wanted the coolers & (when we take it) firewood out of the trailer and in the truck bed! That is the main reason we now have a 2500HD!!! With 3 coolers (1-adult drinks, 1-bottled water, and a smaller 1-kids drinks), plus 2 totes of firewood (that weigh about 150lbs/each) we would have been even further over the gvwr. Even with moving the bikes to the rear of the trailer on a bike rack when I get a proper setup for it!

I, like many on here who have learned, found out just how quick weight adds up!!!! Even if it's just small things: camp chairs, Coleman Roadtrip grill, propane bottles for the grill, E Z Up, etc... It adds up quick!!!!

And yes, I had the option to remove the topper during the summer, storing it was an issue though, and it is nice having a covered bed, though a tonneau cover would have helped in that area to an extent!

Again, if I took your reply the wrong way, I apologize!!!! I am only trying to get the OP to think about EVERYTHING that will be going in the truck weight wise before even hooking the trailer up.

Chris

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
owenssailor wrote:
The payload capability in "1/2 ton" pickups is a very real issue. It is not hard to hit the rated limits for the truck. The WD hitch and tongue weight can add up very quickly.

Everything you said is correct but the OP isn't going to have those problems based on the trailer he is considering.

As a general rule you will never be able to tow the maximum ratings in a half-ton when you take payload in to consideration.

While it sounds like the OP should be fine, until he tells us everything he plans on doing to the truck and what he will load in the bed, it is hard to say for sure.

Will he add a spray in bed liner, cab high (or taller) bed cap, weeks worth of firewood, etc??? OP also stated truck will be a crew cab, but never has posted how many family members, or even the total "rough" weight of all passengers.

Does it sound like a good match, yes, but without knowing all what the OP will have in the truck it is still a "Conditional Yes" IMHO.

And I can't believe GM isn't offering a tow mirror option on the '14's!!! Wonder why!!!??? Though I haven't tried to build one myself.

Acut2660,

Do you currently have a truck/suv? If so, I know this is a crazy thought, BUT, go weigh the vehicle empty: no passenger, coolers, firewood, etc, that you think you would normally load in the new truck/ Now go home, load all passengers (even if all won't be going camping on all trips), coolers, chairs, firewood, etc up and go reweigh the vehicle. This will give you a good idea what your payload will be in the new truck. Now add about 100lbs for the hitch, then see what you have leeft over to compare to the Sierra's payload. Then decide if have enough for the trailer tongue weight and anything else you would like to do to the truck: bed cap, spray in liner, etc.

Chris

Chris,
I just did what others on here say is impossible. I just completed an 8 month-8,000 mile towing trip (32 states) with my half-ton and 29 foot trailer. A a matter of fact I put on another 10,000 miles on the truck over and above the towing miles using the truck for touring and and seeing the sights. So yes, I know a thing or two about towing with a half-ton. And I must add I had ZERO problems on the trip. Not even a flat tire running Carlisle RH tires.

Trying to get others a "buy in" to tow with a half-ton on this forum is a complete waste of time-I guess the OP doesn't know this. Your as likely to tell him to tow with a half-ton as you are to tell him to run ST tires.

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
I only go by what the specs are printed on that fine yellow/white sticker on the body of the truck . Ive found what you read or heard is different from the actual payload numbers hence the Ram suck with payload numbers .

I test drove an extended cab ram 1500 v8 4x4 and a ford f150 extended cab 4x4 ecoboost and the Ford had a way higher payload and it wasnt even setup with the HD package. They both were equal in trim levels as they werent all fancy .

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
owenssailor wrote:

Exactly...and that's why these huge tow ratings are only good for bragging rights in the ads, and mean little in the real world. Anything over 10k is 2500 series truck territory no matter what the ads say.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrkoje wrote:
aedubber wrote:

The Dodge Ram payload is TERRIBLE so its like your almost forced to get a 2500 on the Ram model.

Really? I think 1400-1600lbs for a midlevel trim Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 is actually pretty decent. Switch to the Laramie Limited and the payload is horrible at 1000lbs. However for a base or midlevel truck I think what they offer is good. Keep in mind that while the payload IS lower Ram has the multi-coil rear end setup which I've noticed gives a much nicer ride especially on gravel roads.

Brings me to the question on how much payload do you really expect or need out of a 1/2 ton truck? Not that far back a 1/2 ton rated truck was exactly that - capable of hauling one-half-of-a-ton in the bed. N

Either way, I think if you need 2000lbs of payload on your truck than you would better off with a heavier 3/4 or 1ton.

Most recent test I read, the Ram 1500 had more payload than the F150 they were comparing it against.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
owenssailor wrote:

Acut2660,

Chris

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
aedubber wrote:

The Dodge Ram payload is TERRIBLE so its like your almost forced to get a 2500 on the Ram model.

Really? I think 1400-1600lbs for a midlevel trim Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 is actually pretty decent. Switch to the Laramie Limited and the payload is horrible at 1000lbs. However for a base or midlevel truck I think what they offer is good. Keep in mind that while the payload IS lower Ram has the multi-coil rear end setup which I've noticed gives a much nicer ride especially on gravel roads.

Brings me to the question on how much payload do you really expect or need out of a 1/2 ton truck? Not that far back a 1/2 ton rated truck was exactly that - capable of hauling one-half-of-a-ton in the bed. N

Either way, I think if you need 2000lbs of payload on your truck than you would better off with a heavier 3/4 or 1ton.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Airbags are not meant to increase payload, only level the truck. Payload is primarily determined by frame and axle ratings after you factor in the overall weight of the vehicle when empty.

^^^^^What he said.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Airbags are not meant to increase payload, only level the truck. Payload is primarily determined by frame and axle ratings after you factor in the overall weight of the vehicle when empty.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
For the life of me, I can't figure out why the Ram's payload is so poor, even with the air suspension. When the 2013s was first talked out, spring of last year, they claimed 3050 lbs payload. Then it went out of the door and was never talked about again.

If you're teeter tottering on the edge, simple tricks are: remove the tailgate, and put the spare in the trailer. Together, that'll free up 150 lbs or more from the rear axle (those weights are behind the rear axle).

Even then, remember that it's the axle weights you gotta really watch for, the GVW is less important as far as the safety and DOT is concerned; it's there more for warranty purposes.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote: