cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ram 2500 6.4L Tow Review

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Today I took my new Ram for its longest tow to date, a 350 mile trek through Ky and and the Smokey Mountains ending the day in NC. This was a good test with light to heavy rain all day, low visabilty and lots of elevation and long sweeping turns at grade. Overall the Ram performed amazingly.

The cargo was my 8000 lb travel trailer, my family of four and my 60 lb pit bull. The 6.4L hemi handled the workload with ease. On flats I was able to run 60-65 at around 2000 rpms in 5th gear. On slight grades 4th gear and 2500-3000 rpms did the trick easily. On severe grades 3rd gear at 3000-4200 rpms was the ticket. 99% of the time the truck stayed between 1900 and 2500 rpms. The low rpm torque is evident, especially coming from a Tundra that loved to rev.

The transmission is also great. In tow mode it holds gears perfectly up grade and downsifts to utilize engine braking on the way down. On severe grades I used the manual mode to hold gears up and down the slopes. I rarely had to use the brakes, only when slower vehicles left me pinned in a lane. And this was all the way through I40 and the Smokey Mountains to Ashville. Quite a workout for sure. The Ram handled it with ease.

Temperatures stayed consistent all through the trip. Coolant running 195-210, oil temp 195-215, trans temp stayed at 160-165.

I am extremely happy with my purchase. I love my truck.

A shot at the campground this evening.

2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi
139 REPLIES 139

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
e-light wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
e-light wrote:
Just made it home...drove from Ashville to Louisville today. I need to update my tow report based on my latest adjustments. Someone asked how the new Ram compares to the Tundra. After getting my hitch tweeked just right, there is no comparison. The Ram could prob tow my trailer without weight dist with little issue. I had to adjust the chains so that most of the weight is on the truck. Wow what a difference. People say you cant tell its back there, and while u always know its back there, after getting everything setup right...yeah its like u cant tell its back there. Through Smokey mountain nat park I set the cruise on 60 and got 10.2 on the 1st tank.

What i learned is that the truck will manage speed with tranny. Just set the cruise and let it do its thing. Fuel milage was much better this way as well. Tranny downshifts automatically to maintain speed down hills. Never had hit the brakes.

After knoxville I kicked it up and ran speed limit +5. Power was not an issue. The Hemi roars to life and climbed hills with ease. The truck runs like a swiss watch. I am completely amazed. Wife loves the truck now. Its a frickin pullin machine!

Great report E. Wait until you get you a Cummins before you say it's a towin' machine though...LOL! BTW, how 'bout dem CATS!

Hope they bring that title back to the Bluegrass where it belongs!

Me too! Glad you had a safe trip.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
e-light wrote:
Just made it home...drove from Ashville to Louisville today. I need to update my tow report based on my latest adjustments. Someone asked how the new Ram compares to the Tundra. After getting my hitch tweeked just right, there is no comparison. The Ram could prob tow my trailer without weight dist with little issue. I had to adjust the chains so that most of the weight is on the truck. Wow what a difference. People say you cant tell its back there, and while u always know its back there, after getting everything setup right...yeah its like u cant tell its back there. Through Smokey mountain nat park I set the cruise on 60 and got 10.2 on the 1st tank.

What i learned is that the truck will manage speed with tranny. Just set the cruise and let it do its thing. Fuel milage was much better this way as well. Tranny downshifts automatically to maintain speed down hills. Never had hit the brakes.

After knoxville I kicked it up and ran speed limit +5. Power was not an issue. The Hemi roars to life and climbed hills with ease. The truck runs like a swiss watch. I am completely amazed. Wife loves the truck now. Its a frickin pullin machine!

Great report E. Wait until you get you a Cummins before you say it's a towin' machine though...LOL! BTW, how 'bout dem CATS!

I know about the Cummins...my brother has one just like mine but with the Cummins. It's a beast! When mine is paid off it's getting traded in for a fully loaded Cummins...

Yeah how bout them Cats! 3 great shots in a row for A Harrison. Hope they bring that title back to the Bluegrass where it belongs!
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
e-light wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Usually any 4WD vehicle is flat-towable by shifting the transfer case into neutral, I know my Suburban is. Maybe e-light will check his owners manual when he gets back from vacation.
'

Yup, you sir are correct...from the owners manual

2014 Ram Owners Manual wrote:
N
Neutral - This range disengages the front and rear
driveshafts from the powertrain. To be used for flat
towing behind another vehicle. Refer to โ€œRecreational
Towingโ€ in โ€œStarting and Operatingโ€ for further information.

This is from the 4wd section...mine is 4wd and has N so it could be flat towed
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

e-light
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
e-light wrote:
RR24 wrote:
e-light, Looks nice, is that a Tradesman or SLT model? also what would be a ball park figure out the door on a nice truck like that be?

Thanks

Hi thanks, not sure what total with taxes was. Its a tradesman model, sticker was $42k and change, got it for $30k and change. It has 6.4, 4.10, 4x4, power windows, remote locks, uconnect 3, chrome package, 10,000 gvw, trailer brake, carpet delete...prob some other stuff too. Pretty much every thing i needed and nothing I didnt. Love the vinyl floors. The wife didnt like at first. After a few days on the road she is a big fan. Two children cause no harm :). Cleanup with a broom...

Dont get me wrong, id love to have a decked out Ram! Just couldnt afford it right now. When this one is paid off I promise a loaded Cummins is coming home with me ๐Ÿ™‚

Sounds like a heck of a bargain on a very good tow dawg. Might look at the 2500 6.4 Hemis when it's time to replace the 'ol Tundra.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually any 4WD vehicle is flat-towable by shifting the transfer case into neutral, I know my Suburban is. Maybe e-light will check his owners manual when he gets back from vacation.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great truck and plenty of power for all but the huge 5th wheels.
Does anyone know if it's possible to flat tow this truck behind a motorhome w/o a driveshaft DC?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good write up! I just made that drive to Asheville NC this week to see a customer, and was wondering how it would be towing the TT on some of those loooong grades on I75 heading down to Knoxville. Had a brand new Taurus, which drove nice but was uncomfortable as heck....rental roulette LOL.

Very nice truck and what I will be looking at when I am ready to buy. It looks like we finally have a gas motor that can carry the torch of the venerable 8.1 big block. I was hoping that your tow report would be favorable!

FWIW, good thing you do your own maintenance, I just had a VERY bad service experience with Oxmoor Dodge over in St Matthews on my wife's '05 Hemi Magnum.

Good luck with the new truck!!

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the 6.4 is proving to be a worthy upgrade over the 5.7! Nice looking truck btw.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Your parked crooked and real Pizza don't have meat :W
Not touching the brakes down a 7% grade is interesting for a gasser, what weight again? I know even with my Jacobs I need to stab them once in awhile.
Where is all the snow? Thought you guys got blasted this year? Early spring here but we still have snow.
Have a great time!

Ha! Parking lot was plenty empty so I just backed on in there ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah we did get a lot of snow and Im sure they still have lots of it at altitude. Black Mountain city is at about 2400' or so, pretty high up, but we've had enough sun and heat to melt everything at this level.

I should have clarified the 7% grade part, that was uphill this time around. On the way down it the first time through I did have to hit the brakes, not much though, I geared down and stabbed the brakes a few times as needed...engine braking works great on these newer gaser transmissions. Not like the Cummins exhaust brake, but def helps keep the brakes cool in the mountains if you take advantage of it.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Your parked crooked and real Pizza don't have meat :W
Not touching the brakes down a 7% grade is interesting for a gasser, what weight again? I know even with my Jacobs I need to stab them once in awhile.
Where is all the snow? Thought you guys got blasted this year? Early spring here but we still have snow.
Have a great time!
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
More truck p0rn...Black Mountain, NC...at an awesome pizza joint called Pepperoni's, highly recommend if youre ever in the area.

Also a mpg update. Faced heavy winds and higher towing speeds meant rough milage today. Full tank through the foothills and the 7% grade going into NC, evic showed 7.3, hand calculated 6.8. Stunned it was so low. But It was windy as hell and I was running cuise at 65 most of the way and 60 up the steep grades. Saw at least 5 trucks pulled over with hoods raised on the way up the mountain.

My Ram handled the grade with relative ease. I controlled the transmission with the manual limiter up the grade and used engine breaking on the way down, didnt even have to touch the brakes...fuel milage is a little disappointing, but power is there and cant expect to do much better on a gasser. U want power it will cost u mpg
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
RR24 wrote:
e-light wrote:
RR24 wrote:
e-light, Looks nice, is that a Tradesman or SLT model? also what would be a ball park figure out the door on a nice truck like that be?

Thanks

Hi thanks, not sure what total with taxes was. Its a tradesman model, sticker was $42k and change, got it for $30k and change. It has 6.4, 4.10, 4x4, power windows, remote locks, uconnect 3, chrome package, 10,000 gvw, trailer brake, carpet delete...prob some other stuff too. Pretty much every thing i needed and nothing I didnt. Love the vinyl floors. The wife didnt like at first. After a few days on the road she is a big fan. Two children cause no harm :). Cleanup with a broom...

Dont get me wrong, id love to have a decked out Ram! Just couldnt afford it right now. When this one is paid off I promise a loaded Cummins is coming home with me ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow thats about a 28% discount, sounds like a heck of a deal to me.:B

Yup it was a great deal. They are one of the high volume dealers in the US. They have a lot of trucks on the lot and the prices are the best I could find. I drove 93 miles I think to get it. In Louisville the dealers wont come anywhere near the prices at Bob Allen Ram. Plus no one has the selection of trucks around here like they do in Danville. Check their web site. They have great prices and they will make a deal for you.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
LOL E
Spoon is coming shortly :B His Tundra towed the space shuttle or something like that.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin