cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins - my last hesitation

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a 100 times here, so sorry in advance. I've been soliciting opinions on some of the various vehicle forums and thought this looked like a great place to get non brand specific advice.

Here's my situation. I am in the market for a new truck because I'm planning on selling my little pop-up trailer and moving into a larger travel trailer. I don't want anything massive because I want to be able to get it into some of the tighter mountain areas, but loaded with water, gear, toys and the seemingly limitless other items necessary to keep my wife and children happy, I'd expect this trailer will weigh in around 10,000 lbs, give or take. I live in Idaho so the mountain passes I'll encounter regularly are significant.

Initially I was thinking of a Ford Ecoboost, which is rated to handle the above trailer. But in the mountains with my family on board, I'm not so sure the margin of error with that kind of vehicle is enough to make me comfortable. Plus the payload on those trucks in a crew cab + 6.5' configuration can be challenging.

This string of logic led me to 3/4 tons, and I'm pretty sold on the Ram. The suspension setup seems perfect to me with coils and solid axles on both ends. And I like the engine options better than the Ford or GM, both gas or diesel. It may be silly but I'm also not a fan of the IFS on the GM. And pricing wise, the Dodge dealerships seem to be more willing to come down off sticker (perhaps the Dave Smith effect - I'm not sure).

Of the Rams, my natural inclination is the CTD. I've been around diesels a lot, and I love the way they drive and pull. I do a lot of my own maintenance so the extra costs can be minimized. I can get a Tradesman level truck with all that I want amenity-wise for around 37k or thereabouts. But my hesitation is I live a little over five miles from the office, and this truck will be my daily driver. A 6.4 obviously won't tow as well or get the MPGs, but it would be around $6k less up front and would likely work better as a daily driver.

Does anybody here have long term experience with a diesel as a short distance daily driver? I would use it on longer drives as well, in addition to the trips I'd take with the trailer, so it isn't like it would only be doing the short 5 mile drives. But it will be a daily fact of life.

I generally keep vehicles for quite a few years so I'm putting a lot of thought into this (or obsessing about it, if you listen to my wife).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
54 REPLIES 54

envelopo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2014 Ram 6.4 Hemi CCSB 4WD to tow our 8000lb travel trailer, great truck but after the first real tow through the mountains I headed directly back to the dealer and traded it for a 2015 with the CTD, much better tow and all round truck IMO. I just dont enjoy screaming at 4K + rpm in 2nd up every hill and a down shift every bump in the road or gust of wind. The 6.4 returned 7.5 towing and averaged 13.2 not towing over the 8000 miles we had it. The CTD is returning 13 towing and averaging 18.8 doing the same commute as the 6.4. Not bashing the 6.4, and I would still have it if I lived in a level area of the country...mabie.
2015 RAM 2500 CCSB 4WD Laramie CTD
2011 Arctic Fox 27T Travel Trailer

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD, this link will answer most Ram specification questions.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/ram/2535mo.pdf
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2500 gasser specs are in my sig.

A friend of mine just bought the identical truck, except his is a 3500 srw diesel.

His has 500# more front and rear gawr (6000 F & 7000 R), about 850# more payload and a gvwr of 11,700#. He also has ~1500# more max tow rating, and 2500# more gcwr. The 3500s do ride a bit rougher due to the rear leaf springs.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've bought a number of vehicles from Dave Smith motors over the years. Better price and experience generally. PM me if you want sales contact information. They have a bunch (something like 1500) vehicles on the lot... The other tool to use is the Costco auto program. You can get pricing and options so you can figure out what you want and be educated before you go to the dealers and test drive a bunch.

Get a diesel if you can afford it, 10K trailer will make a gas engine wind up pretty good (I'm not saying that is bad, but some are bothered by a gas engine running at 4-5k rpm pulling a mountain pass)..

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Some weights and capacities to think about:
1. Even the heaviest BP toy haulers have a tongue weight of about 2000 lbs. Not all of this will go on the rear axle since you will be using a WDH.
2. The heaviest SxS/UTV you will fit in a standard bed will weigh about 1500 lbs. Going with a short bed will limit you to quads which weigh under 1000 lbs.
3. Most SRW trucks weigh less 3000 lbs empty on the rear axle.
4. Most 3/4t trucks are stickered with a rear axle rating over 6000 lbs while the 1t trucks are over 7000 lbs.
5. RAM uses a different frame between the 2500 and 3500 which benefit you to get the heavier truck. GM and Ford 3/4t and 1t trucks vary only by springs and wheels that are included in the standard package and are more or less differentiated by marketing than capability.

OT: My truck typically carries 7000 lbs on the rear axle when not towing and close to 8000 lbs when towing with the truck camper on the back. My next truck camper and trailer will be even bigger, so I am currently looking at the Class 5's that have large capacity rear axles.

As of 2014, the Ram 2500 actually began using the 3500's frame, which I think debuted in the 3500 in 2013. Supposedly it's a pretty stout chassis. So the main difference between the trucks is the rear suspension (coil vs leaf). The 3500 also has a slightly larger rear axle and the option of the high output Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Beyond that I'm not sure if there are any other differences.

The 2500 & 3500 non dually both use the same axles. The 3500 dual rear wheel model with the high output Cummins uses the larger 11.8" axle.

Thanks for the clarification. So really the difference boils down to the rear suspension setup.

I'm thinking the 2500 might be the better fit for my situation and a better balance between comfort and capacity. I don't ever foresee myself wanting a really large FW type trailer because it would limit me too much on where I like to go. Plus I don't have a huge family - there's just the four of us.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
1. Even the heaviest BP toy haulers have a tongue weight of about 2000 lbs. Not all of this will go on the rear axle since you will be using a WDH.
2. The heaviest SxS/UTV you will fit in a standard bed will weigh about 1500 lbs. Going with a short bed will limit you to quads which weigh under 1000 lbs.
4. Most 3/4t trucks are stickered with a rear axle rating over 6000 lbs while the 1t trucks are over 7000 lbs.
5. RAM uses a different frame between the 2500 and 3500 which benefit you to get the heavier truck. GM and Ford 3/4t and 1t trucks vary only by springs and wheels that are included in the standard package and are more or less differentiated by marketing than capability.

OT: My truck typically carries 7000 lbs on the rear axle when not towing and close to 8000 lbs when towing with the truck camper on the back. My next truck camper and trailer will be even bigger, so I am currently looking at the Class 5's that have large capacity rear axles.

As of 2014, the Ram 2500 actually began using the 3500's frame, which I think debuted in the 3500 in 2013. Supposedly it's a pretty stout chassis. So the main difference between the trucks is the rear suspension (coil vs leaf). The 3500 also has a slightly larger rear axle and the option of the high output Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Beyond that I'm not sure if there are any other differences.

The 2500 & 3500 non dually both use the same axles. The 3500 dual rear wheel model with the high output Cummins uses the larger 11.8" axle.

As stated, the RAWR is higher on the dually, @ 9750#, AAM rates it at 11,800#, Ram rating is 9750 with E rated tires (4 @ 65 psi each). Can increase RAWR by increasing air pressure in E rated tires to max sidewall pressure of 80psi...one of the "easier/ simplist" ways to increase RAWR if one is into that sort of thing..(of course, not "leagally":)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

I have been told that the 2500 with coils has a much better ride than the 3500 with leaf springs. I'm not sure if that is a factor for you or not.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I should look more at the 1 ton. You can get those in a crew cab short box configuration, correct? What sort of curb weight difference is there? This will be camping/hunting truck, and while I don't expect an 8,000 lb diesel truck to be a limber offroad vehicle, I will need it to handle some rougher forest service type roads. One thing I like specifically about the 2500 is the coil springs which should flex a little better than the leafs in the 3500. But I also don't want to limit myself down the road.

Edit - I looked at inventory at the local dealers and none appear to have a crew cab short box 3500. I could technically fit a long box in my garage but I don't think I want to drive something that big on a daily basis, let alone try to coax it down a narrow forest service road.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Well you guys have me pretty well convinced to just get what I really want and go with the Cummins. I'm sure I'd like the Hemi and I know it's a good motor too, but I think I'd have a lingering case of buyers remorse if I went that way.

Appreciate all the great input!

Good call.

I assume you will be visiting Dave Smith Motors in Kellog, ID.

Good choice, get the 3500 with the Aisin. No buyers remorse there either.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
If you have any thought of ever going to a fiver get a 1 ton for the payload.Otherwise a 3/4 ton will be fine with most bumper pulls

OP stated he wants the bed for toys...although no specific mention of the toys. He also stated a TT around the range of 10k GVWR. If the toys are bed loaded ATV/UTV, then a 1 ton absolutely makes a lot more sense.

OP, since the foot print between a 3/4T and 1T SRW is identical, it does make more sense to pay the minimal extra $ and go with a 1 ton. You will be a lot more pleased with the extra payload ratings. It is nice to heavily load my bed and then hook up my 9500 GVWR TT, load the family and know I'm no where near being overloaded. And yes, I do some significant mountain passes almost every tow. I would not be able to say the same thing with a 3/4T.

And as mentioned, lots more options if choosing to upgrade to a 5'vr. Although my latest thought is I will be selling the TT in 4-5 years and go with a slide-in. I am absolutely shocked how much 4 season slide-ins weight...1 ton area if not 1 ton DRW.
I love me some land yachting

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Well you guys have me pretty well convinced to just get what I really want and go with the Cummins. I'm sure I'd like the Hemi and I know it's a good motor too, but I think I'd have a lingering case of buyers remorse if I went that way.

Appreciate all the great input!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I think you have it all sorted out. While I understand the gassers have improved performance and are very capable. The diesel with make a better tow vehicle. Exhaust brake is a huge added bonus.
The short trips will not be an issue. If you have any thought of ever going to a fiver get a 1 ton for the payload.Otherwise a 3/4 ton will be fine with most bumper pulls
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637