cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Sierra 3500HD = 7,374lb Payload!?!?

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else see this? I know the "power/payload" wars between the big three have been escalating, but seriously, a 7,374# payload in a "1-ton" truck? Assuming this thing has a similar curb weight to the current model of around 8k, does that really mean that the 2015 is going to have a GVWR of 15k+? Makes my '07 dually with a GVWR of 11,400 seem pretty obsolete!

http://www.gmc.com/2015-sierra-heavy-duty-pickup-trucks.html
14 REPLIES 14

PatrickM
Explorer
Explorer
Options are always a good thing.

The new Dodge Rams (2014 Model Year) are coming with auto-levelling air bags. This is also supposed to not only help stabilize and level your load, but potentially help give a boost to payload.

"Payload – up to 7,320 pounds with a Ram 3500" --- http://turbodiesel.cumminsnewsletters.com/2013/09/2014-ram-heavy-duty-pickups-increase-capability

For folks who are potentially looking at a double or even a triple slide... options these days are nice!

Cummins to tow and the payload to match.

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a new 13' 3500 DRW for about the same price as a 14' 1/2 ton.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
To get that payload you also have to go with DRW which is a price I am not about to pay. DRW is good for pulling very heavy horse trailers but when I need it for a camper I need to scale back and get a lighter one where SRW is adequate.

GM already beefed up the suspension and frame with the 2011 HD trucks and Ram is doing this with the 2014 trucks. Only Ford has stayed with their older and much flexier frames - even worse by the way with DRW. Ford must expect that its customers will go for the F-550 for hauling very heavy payloads.

Possilian
Explorer
Explorer
I am ordering one as soon as I can. My 2011 is a great truck but i am ready for a new one. Looked at the ram and the ford trucks and they are pretty sweet also. The more hp and payload is good but no matter what I cannot go over 26k in a combo since I want to stay out of the weigh stations. Just getting into my second year with my af 900 and loving it.

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Home Skillet wrote:
BoilerEE wrote:
"1-ton" truck?

I guess people refuse to let go that classification of trucks?
Manufactures have not used that since the 90s.

It's easier than saying 3500/350 and everyone knows what it means anyway.

Maybe Ford should sell F-3500's so we can just use those numbers from now on. 😛

I know that nomenclature is extremely outdated which is why I put it in " " - guess I should have added a 😉 for clarity! A lot of the truck classifications are pretty silly anyway, like the fact that all of these "heavy duty" consumer grade trucks are technically still light trucks.

All labeling aside, the capes of the new trucks are pretty awesome ... might even make me re-think my idea of someday upgrading to a medium-duty rig ...

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
GM did beef up the front end. Now 4X4 models come with 6000 pound front axel rating.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
delete...jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A '14 3500 DRW LT 13400 gvwr reg cab long bed 6.0 engine has a 7497 lb payload per GM online weight calculator that takes in all options as configured.
Ran the same truck with the 6.6 Dmax and it came out a 67xx lb payload.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
BoilerEE wrote:
"1-ton" truck?

It's easier than saying 3500/350 and everyone knows what it means anyway.

Maybe Ford should sell F-3500's so we can just use those numbers from now on. 😛

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those payload weights are kinda like camper dry weights . 🙂

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
It must be a stripped down 1 ton dually regular cab (contractor/fleet special truck) Ford also has a 7000 plus pound payload rating for the same style truck.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I think the dually looks pretty sweet.

Notice no direct injection for the 6.0l v-8, bummer.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
BoilerEE wrote:
"1-ton" truck?

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
FTFY

http://www.gmc.com/2015-sierra-heavy-duty-pickup-trucks.html

That huge payload is for a regular cab 4x2 and includes driver, passenger(s) and all cargo.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT