Up the Ike Gauntlet.

Link
41 REPLIES 41

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Like others have posted, the focus should have been on temperatures generated instead of speed. I'm perfectly happy coming in behind the pack knowing I can continue on without heat or mechanical issues in my older 6.0 PSD that everyone loves to hate. I have been lucky that reliability has been a strong point of my truck (even if some think it is an enigma) while still giving me sufficient power to climb hills under load comfortably all while being 100% stock.

The emissions complexity and initial cost of current diesels is swaying me toward a gasoline engine in my next truck even though I love diesels. The push has been for ever increasing performance without efficiency gains which also drives up operating costs. I think it's pretty sad when a diesel diehard is looking to abandon the technology due to the direction the manufacturers and marketing are pointed.

I had a 6.0 PSD and traded it for a 6.7 PSD and I can honestly say my 6.7 PSD outperforms (big time) and makes better fuel economy than my 6.0 PSD so I'm not the least disappointed with my current emissions equipped diesel so far.

In addition I think this kind of test with a gas powered truck would really differentiate the performance difference between a diesel and gas powered truck. Let's just say it would "separate the men from the boys"! :B

If you were to have the 6.2 GM with a turbo charger then you may have to rethink your statement.

Comparing a turbo charged engine to a non turbo charged is no comparing apples to apples!

Turbo charged gas engines in larger displacement most likely will bi in the future trucks.

blt2ski
lets see, one has about 25K lbs total wt, with say 90 aq ft of frontal area, about 150hp to go 60 on a level. Then an additional 60 or so per 1% grade, so a 5% grade needs 450 hp to hold 60 mph........which of these rigs has 450hp?

any way, not surprised ANY of the big 3 diesels trying to move 25K lbs is in the 40 mph range frankly! None of them have the HP to hold a hill like that at 60 mph.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RamTC wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
RamTC wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Huntindog,

Qoute:

"It's been a couple of years but, it was brought up about how Ford and Dodge came up with their power numbers vs. GM.

GM was the ONLY one to rate the power by the stringent SAE method.
I forget the particulars, but basically think peak vs. continuous power. That explains how a lower rated truck such as the GM can win these contests."

BINGO!!!! You win 1st place!

And if the engine is stripped on a test stand or the output measured at the drive wheel!

Where's this info coming from? Motor Trend reports that all three HD's still use their own in house numbers for 2015, not the J8207 rating your implying on this HD thread.
Here ya go.

SAE certified dyno tests

Thanks, I mistakenly thought the reference was about Tow ratings.
No it's not tow ratings, but it can form the basis for them...
More importantly it is a unbiased approach,that shows who is really telling the truth, and who is blowing smoke.
And based on the performance of the road tests being done at that time, it proves that blowing smoke, doesn't get the load up the mountain.
It takes REAL power to do that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The DEF tank location sucks, even if it does not affect performance off road, it simply looks bad. The rest of the truck, I am pretty happy with. I wish I could get the interior leather of the High Country without the colored bumpers, but the GMC HD All Terrain Package looks real good, looking forward to seeing it in person.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
Like others have posted, the focus should have been on temperatures generated instead of speed. I'm perfectly happy coming in behind the pack knowing I can continue on without heat or mechanical issues in my older 6.0 PSD that everyone loves to hate. I have been lucky that reliability has been a strong point of my truck (even if some think it is an enigma) while still giving me sufficient power to climb hills under load comfortably all while being 100% stock.

The emissions complexity and initial cost of current diesels is swaying me toward a gasoline engine in my next truck even though I love diesels. The push has been for ever increasing performance without efficiency gains which also drives up operating costs. I think it's pretty sad when a diesel diehard is looking to abandon the technology due to the direction the manufacturers and marketing are pointed.

I had a 6.0 PSD and traded it for a 6.7 PSD and I can honestly say my 6.7 PSD outperforms (big time) and makes better fuel economy than my 6.0 PSD so I'm not the least disappointed with my current emissions equipped diesel so far.

In addition I think this kind of test with a gas powered truck would really differentiate the performance difference between a diesel and gas powered truck. Let's just say it would "separate the men from the boys"! :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
RamTC wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Huntindog,

Qoute:

"It's been a couple of years but, it was brought up about how Ford and Dodge came up with their power numbers vs. GM.

I forget the particulars, but basically think peak vs. continuous power. That explains how a lower rated truck such as the GM can win these contests."

And if the engine is stripped on a test stand or the output measured at the drive wheel!

Where's this info coming from? Motor Trend reports that all three HD's still use their own in house numbers for 2015, not the J8207 rating your implying on this HD thread.
Here ya go.

SAE certified dyno tests

Thanks, I mistakenly thought the reference was about Tow ratings.
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RamTC wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Huntindog,

Qoute:

Here ya go.

SAE certified dyno tests
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Huntindog,

Qoute:

Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog,

Qoute:

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

The only thing I absolutely can't wrap my head around when it comes to the GM Duramax is that dang DEF tank hanging down just waiting to be knocked off by a chunk of ice, rock, etc. They really need to rethink that placement.

I take my truck places 95% of the population wouldn't take a CCLB truck. In three years of boondocking,hunting,fishing,etc, there isn't a mark on the tank.

If for some reason you thought you needed it,you can buy a skid plate for the DEF tank.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
ib516 wrote:
ksss wrote:

I would like to also know the ambient air temp as well as coolant and tranny temp of the these trucks when they reach the top. That to me tells me more about the capacity of the pickup than does speed/time up the hill alone.

Exactly. The video lacked those kinds of details which I was wanting to know.

There is a reason they did this where they did this and when they did this. I would bet money it was no accident there was snow around when they did this test.

There was a reason they did not do this test on a 105 degree day on the Cajon pass.

There is a reason boats with the same engine as trucks are rated at a way higher HP and way higher duty cycle.

It's easy to make any HP you want. It's extremely difficult to handle the thermal load for that high HP. Ever see the fan or radiator size on a 6.7 Ford, 6.7 Dodge or 6.6 Chevy? :E

The reason they tested the truck when and where they did is because guys do all their tests on the same section of highway. Probably because they're based out of Colorado.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
ksss wrote:

I would like to also know the ambient air temp as well as coolant and tranny temp of the these trucks when they reach the top. That to me tells me more about the capacity of the pickup than does speed/time up the hill alone.

Exactly. The video lacked those kinds of details which I was wanting to know.

There is a reason they did this where they did this and when they did this. I would bet money it was no accident there was snow around when they did this test.

There was a reason they did not do this test on a 105 degree day on the Cajon pass.

There is a reason boats with the same engine as trucks are rated at a way higher HP and way higher duty cycle.

It's easy to make any HP you want. It's extremely difficult to handle the thermal load for that high HP. Ever see the fan or radiator size on a 6.7 Ford, 6.7 Dodge or 6.6 Chevy? :E
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes DEF is mostly water so it freezes. All the 2500/3500 diesel trucks from the big 3 have heated DEF tanks (more complexity).
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV