cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Ram 6.7L Cummins Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Welp boys...I was able to make it 2 yrs with my 2014 Ram 6.4L Hemi. It was a great truck and did a fine job toting my 5th wheel all over the southeast...BUT

The bug finally got me and I upgraded to a loaded 2016 Laramie crew cab 4x4 Cummins. And the only question I have is WHY DIDNT I DO THIS SOONER?! What an amazing truck! Ive had it a week and already put over 700 miles on it. This is the truck of my dreams. I dream about it. I work from home, so as you can see from 700 miles in a week, Im looking for any excuse to drive this baby.

The engine...its incredible. My brother has a 2012 Ram Cummins, so Ive had some exposure, but its not the same as having my own. The power is mind boggling. I'll be towing the 5er on about an 800 mile round trip the 1st week of April so Ill follow up with a more detailed report.

I dont have a lot of pics, but Ill post a couple in a few minutes.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi
52 REPLIES 52

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
OP congrats on your new truck and thanks!!!

Looking forward on hearing how she does on the up coming trip!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
4x4Dodger wrote:
On a horsepower or torque/per loaded-pound basis the new GAS engines are close to what a class 8 deisel tractor has...the new diesel pickups are actually higher if measured that way.

That's an odd statement. Big trucks have far less hp and torque per loaded pound than pickups. They are moving 100K+ pounds with around 500 hp and 2000 ft./lbs of torque. That's the equivalent of moving 20K combined with just 100 hp and 400 ft./lbs of torque. That's why the heavily loaded semis crawl up mountain passes at 20-25 mph.

First the maximum load for a tractor trailer in MOST states is 80k# very few states allow trucks to weigh more than that.

Second most class 8's have around 800-900 lb/ft of torque not 2000

Third many are 450 to 550 hp.

It's not an odd statement at all in fact it was my point: The current crop of diesel p/u's have more horsepower and torque on a per loaded pound basis than the class 8's.

The horsepower/torque race among the big three p/u makers is just so much marketing hype. Sooner or later it will have to give way to higher efficiency diesels/Gas engines with less HP but overall better performance. this is what has happened with the class 8 engine builders.

Lots of class A motorhomes have 450-600 HP and 1250+ torque.
In the west we have several states with over 100K lbs of legal weight. Of course more axles are needed. You should see our gravel haulers pulling the grades. Slow but sure.
Must be a reason I don't see gasoline engines in OTR trucks :W
Which reminds me of our 1985 Pace Arrow. Slow and slower.......
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
"Second most class 8's have around 800-900 lb/ft of torque not 200"

This is grossly inaccurate. You have to try pretty hard to find a class 8 with less than 1,000b/ft, most are at least 1,200lb/ft. .

Re modern diesel pickups having more hp and tq per lb than a class 8 with trailer in tow, I agree and that remains true even with the accurate figures listed above.

Not sure about your talk about gas replacing the current diesels. Diesel will remain the primary fuel for those that tow worldwide, at least until electrics fully take over.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
For the OP: Congratulations on your new truck. I too have the Gas Ram and I cannot imagine the diesel towing any better in real terms than this truck does. (I often pass the diesels on long upgrades with similar sized trailers)

I passed a Corvette the other day towing with my old Ford 6.0 Powerstroke so my truck must be faster right? LOL I'll be close to you next weekend if you would like to come hook to my 20,000# rig with you gas truck.

You are doing what so many do in these discussions; try to derail them into shouting matches with spurious comparisons and a snarky tone.

First I clearly said in my post that I passed on long uphills and steep grades diesels that were hauling SIMILAR sized trailers to mine. These trucks were clearly at the end of their power curve and I had to pass them or get stuck behind them going much more slowly than necessary or desirable.

My truck and trailer weighs in at over 16,000 lbs.

Your Corvette analogy is just silly.

The new gas engines and transmissions are fast closing the Gas/Deisel gap when transmissions were 3 or 4 speeds and you needed a 4:10 rearend to compensate. Those days are gone.

On a horsepower or torque/per loaded-pound basis the new GAS engines are close to what a class 8 deisel tractor has...the new diesel pickups are actually higher if measured that way.

Most guys I believe have a diesel because they WANT one not because they need one...and that's ok.

Diesels have their place, their advantages and disadvantages.

And indeed my 5.7 could tow your trailer. It would take more RPM's to get it started from a stop, more fuel and it would not pull your trailer as easily as it pulls mine ...but it would pull it.

So let me get this straight. You say your truck and trailer together weighs 16,000? You are saying that you would have to pass me if I was pulling a 9000# trailer because it would be obvious that I would be at the end of my powerband because I was going slower than you wanted to go. Haha. Thanks for the laugh.

You are either:

Purposely misconstruing my post

or your reading comprehension skills are lacking

I sincerely hope it's the former.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
4x4Dodger wrote:

That's an odd statement. Big trucks have far less hp and torque per loaded pound than pickups. They are moving 100K+ pounds with around 500 hp and 2000 ft./lbs of torque. That's the equivalent of moving 20K combined with just 100 hp and 400 ft./lbs of torque. That's why the heavily loaded semis crawl up mountain passes at 20-25 mph.

First the maximum load for a tractor trailer in MOST states is 80k# very few states allow trucks to weigh more than that.

Second most class 8's have around 800-900 lb/ft of torque not 2000

Third many are 450 to 550 hp.

It's not an odd statement at all in fact it was my point: The current crop of diesel p/u's have more horsepower and torque on a per loaded pound basis than the class 8's.

The horsepower/torque race among the big three p/u makers is just so much marketing hype. Sooner or later it will have to give way to higher efficiency diesels/Gas engines with less HP but overall better performance. this is what has happened with the class 8 engine builders.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Ok you got the fastest gasser west of the Mississippi! We get it. Prolly blow the doors off my diesel up the Ike....

No that was not my point. My point clearly was that diesels are not always in all situations necessary superior to the newer gas engines with highly efficient transmissions and more horse power than in previous years....

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
For the OP: Congratulations on your new truck. I too have the Gas Ram and I cannot imagine the diesel towing any better in real terms than this truck does. (I often pass the diesels on long upgrades with similar sized trailers)

I passed a Corvette the other day towing with my old Ford 6.0 Powerstroke so my truck must be faster right? LOL I'll be close to you next weekend if you would like to come hook to my 20,000# rig with you gas truck.

You are doing what so many do in these discussions; try to derail them into shouting matches with spurious comparisons and a snarky tone.

First I clearly said in my post that I passed on long uphills and steep grades diesels that were hauling SIMILAR sized trailers to mine. These trucks were clearly at the end of their power curve and I had to pass them or get stuck behind them going much more slowly than necessary or desirable.

The new gas engines and transmissions are fast closing the Gas/Deisel gap when transmissions were 3 or 4 speeds and you needed a 4:10 rearend to compensate. Those days are gone.

Most guys I believe have a diesel because they WANT one not because they need one...and that's ok.

And indeed my 5.7 could tow your trailer. It would take more RPM's to get it started from a stop, more fuel and it would not pull your trailer as easily as it pulls mine ...but it would pull it.

So let me get this straight. You say your truck and trailer together weighs 16,000? You are saying that you would have to pass me if I was pulling a 9000# trailer because it would be obvious that I would be at the end of my powerband because I was going slower than you wanted to go. Haha. Thanks for the laugh.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ok you got the fastest gasser west of the Mississippi! We get it. Prolly blow the doors off my diesel up the Ike....

:B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
4x4Dodger wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Have to admit I'm a bit jealous. But I had to get rid of my half ton first before I took that step. Maybe in a few years. They are nice rides, though. Enjoy it!
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.