cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Tundra Double Cab SR5

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to downsize from our '05 Ram 3500 diesel since we no longer have a fifth wheel. Looking at half ton offerings and strictly shopping/studying right now.

Our Trailer: 2013 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL, Max gross trailer weight, 7500 lbs, max hitch weight 975 lbs (assuming 13% hitch weight)

Our Hitch: Reese Dual Cam StraitLine with 800 lb. trunnion bars.

Truck We're looking at: 2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 2WD, 6.5 ft bed. Salesman looked up payload and towing for THIS truck as configured, and related 1680 lbs/10300 lbs. respectively. Powertrain is the 5.7L FlexFuel, 6 speed automatic, 4.30 rear axle ratio, P255/70TR18 tires, 145 inch wheelbase. Drove the truck, not bad performance and handling without a trailer on it anyway

I know this would not be a fuel champ, towing or not. Main concern can this truck competently handle our trailer under tow? Normally aspirated engine, so I know it ain't gonna grunt like our diesel. Intend to also check out Ford and Chevy offerings, but not likely to look at Ram. And, am not looking for another oil burner of any brand. Thoughts from half ton owners, especially Tundra owners that may tow a similar trailer to ours are especially appreciated.
28 REPLIES 28

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned my Tundra for over 6 years and wouldn't give it up. My TT is the same gross weight as yours. No issues towing; yes it will go to 3500+ rpm on a longer hill, but that motor red lines at around 5600.

Towing mileage around 10 and 17-18 highway. It has almost 60k miles and has only had oil changes and one set each of brakes and tires.

I suppose the only thing I might want to change is the slight bounciness when towing on uneven freeways. But I don't do that much so not a big concern right now.

No one condones going over payload, and it doesn't sound you like you would. But the components in the Tundra are at least as heavy duty as a Ford rated for more.

And as mentioned, the new ones can have the larger fuel tank, brake controller and tow mirrors from the factory.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
That truck will serve you well for the purpose you state and still can't argue Toyota reliability overall. That said, you owe it to yourself to also look at the big 3 and Nissan XD before deciding. I think there are better options out there currently in the half ton market.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I towed a 22' 6500 lbs trailer for several years with my Tundra 5.7, handled it fine. Your trailer is a little longer and a little heavier, but it should be fine. As long as you keep your payload weight in check, the Tundra is a great towing truck. The 5.7 will give you plenty of power! Mileage won't be great, but gas is cheap right now!

Unloaded mileage the Tundras definitely don't do as well as the Big 3 anymore, but people tend to exaggerate the difference.

Towing mileage I found to be as good or better than my friend's Ecoboost with a similar weight trailer. This could be driving habits as well, but we both claim to keep it between 60-65. We both made the drive from KS to Alabama and I averaged just over 9mpg to his 7.5mpg.

I average 14mpg in my daily commute to work(8 miles from driveway to parking lot). I get 17mpg highway when not towing.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a 22' 6500 lbs trailer for several years with my Tundra 5.7, handled it fine. Your trailer is a little longer and a little heavier, but it should be fine. As long as you keep your payload weight in check, the Tundra is a great towing truck. The 5.7 will give you plenty of power! Mileage won't be great, but gas is cheap right now!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
I regularly tow a 8.2k-8.5k lb trailer with my 14 Tundra Crewmax. I recently towed from Alabama to Kansas and averaged just over 9 MPG with some pretty serious hills and winds. Expect 8.5-10 MPG towing on average.

I'm cutting it close on payload and agree with the above poster about the soft suspension being jarring on a rough interstate with expansion joints.

On any regular road, it tows exceptional. The Tundra's 5.7L is a phenomenal towing engine. I've towed about 2k miles in the past year and for a gas engine you will have a hard time finding a better towing engine/transmission. Shifts to 3rd only on steep inclines.

I plan on adding either timbren's or airbags to address the expansion joint interstate problem. If I were buying a new Tundra again, I would definitely try to talk the dealer into getting some LT tires as well. The Bridgestone P rated duelers that come stock on some Tundras are truly terrible tires and wear extremely fast.

Make sure you check the payload of the actual truck you are going to buy and make sure fully loaded for camping your numbers are going to work out. That being said, your numbers look close as mine is ~1400lbs of payload on a crewmax 4wd. The 2wd double cab should net you a couple hundred more pounds.

Tundras are great trucks. You will have to look very hard to ever find a disgruntled owner for a good reason.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 7600lbs tt with my '07 Tundra crewmax for a couple of years. Handled it with ease. We were payload limited and slightly over once the family was loaded and some stuff in the box. The double cab has more payload and if it's just the 2 of you, you will be more than fine.

When it was time to trade the truck I ended up getting a Ram 2500 for the extra payload. Worst decision I ever made. I would gladly take my old Tundra back. The Tundra with its 4:30 gears even towed the tt better than the Ram does.

Nice thing with the new '16 Tundra is that it finally comes with a factory brake controller and has a ( optional) 36gal fuel tank. A must if towing.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2009 Tundra that is much like what you are looking for and tow a 7200 loaded trailer. Have towed all over Ontario and all the way to Florida numerous times. The Tundra will tow the trailer just fine. I also use the Draw-Tite dual cam setup with 800 lb bars and works great. My Tundra has the small gas tank but the 2016 you can get with I believe a 36 gallon tank now. I would make sure I got the large tank. I also average between 8 - 9.5 mpg. Great match if you ask me as I am very happy with my combo.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:
If I were buying a half ton to tow with, I'd almost certainly end up in a 3.5 Ecoboost. The low end grunt can't be beat in that class and the 36 gallon tank is a great feature, as are the towing mirrors. I've got a friend who's had a couple of them and they perform really well with the caveat that they aren't very fuel efficient, but that's where the 36 gallon tank comes into play.

This would be my choice as well. The Ecoboost is a great tower. If you get the max tow, you get the best mirrors available, the 3.73 gears, the best IBC available, and an extra 500 lbs of payload. The Eco will get good mileage not towing, so great grocery getter for the Mrs. too.

Compare, buy what you like!

Jerry

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
Otrfun: Thanks for relating your experience. As mentioned we had a fifth wheel and will not be going down that road again. We simplified our RV looking to do the same with the TV. My wife finds the 3500 just too big and is not comfortable driving it. Then there's the nickel and dime Ram issues we have experienced that I don't want to mess with any longer.
I hear ya. Everybody's situation, wants, and needs, are unique.

Have you considered taking your loaded, vacation-ready, 27DSRL to a CAT scale to nail down some definitive numbers? Your tongue weight may be surprisingly lower . . . or higher, than your 975 lb. "assumption". Having that definitive number might make your final decision a lot easier . . . or harder, as the case may be.

Good luck!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Otrfun: Thanks for relating your experience. As mentioned we had a fifth wheel and will not be going down that road again. We simplified our RV looking to do the same with the TV. My wife finds the 3500 just too big and is not comfortable driving it. Then there's the nickel and dime Ram issues we have experienced that I don't want to mess with any longer.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We towed a ~6700-7000 lb. (loaded) toy hauler with ~1000 lbs. of tonque weight (plus 400 lbs. of passengers and gear) with a '12 Tundra double cab 5.7 2WD during several cross-country trips. FWIW, these numbers are CAT scaled--not guess-timations based on empty/GVWR factory numbers.

Don't believe the drivetrain (engine, tranny, etc.), frame, or suspension has changed on the 2014-2016 Tundras vs. the 2007-2013's (exception minor tuning to the rack & pinion and shocks). Door jam sticker payload rating for the above truck was 1460 lbs. I'd check the door jam sticker on a similarly equipped 2016 on the lot before putting much faith in the salesman's estimate of 1680 lbs.

Anywhoser, the 5.7 has more than enough power to handle 7 percent grades at 60 MPH. May have to downshift to 4th (~3k RPM), sometimes 3rd (~4k RPM's). Not a problem unless the sound bothers you. This is a 32 valve DOHC engine, so it does loves to rev.

Fuel economy was approx. 9.5 MPG at 55 MPH. Dropped down to 8.5 MPG at 60-65 MPH.

As for payload, that's another story. With 1400 lbs. of payload (tongue weight, passengers, and gear) and properly adjusted 1000 lb. WDH, it would go down a smooth road just fine. However, throw in some rough expansion joints like the ones they have on I10 in Louisiana, well things went from fine to jarring. You could feel the rubber axle stop contacting the frame on every bump. Not much suspension travel remaining when these trucks get close to their max payload. The Tundra's rear suspension has approx. 3 1/2" of travel when empty. This drops to approx. 1" when loaded to maximum payload.

Funny, you're thinking about downsizing. I just traded in my '12 Tundra for a new Ram 3500 just because of the payload issue. Yes, the Tundra "handled it", but I got tired of living on the edge. Plus, we have plans to get a larger toy hauler. It gets tiresome having your future choices limited because of tongue weight. Would much rather concentrate on living comfort, features, etc.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
If I were buying a half ton to tow with, I'd almost certainly end up in a 3.5 Ecoboost. The low end grunt can't be beat in that class and the 36 gallon tank is a great feature, as are the towing mirrors. I've got a friend who's had a couple of them and they perform really well with the caveat that they aren't very fuel efficient, but that's where the 36 gallon tank comes into play.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing for 2 years a 30ft Cougar 5th wheel weighing (have weighted it) 9600 lbs with a 2011 Tundra reg cab long box 5.7. No problem with power towing and fuel mileage not bad it I stay around 60 mph. Very stable tow vehicle with 5th. Good you have the dual cam hitch it really helps as I used to have a 4runner and trailer and the dual cam made it much better than reg non sway hitch. I get as high as 11 mpg under ideal conditions and seldom dip much lower as I adjust my speed to wind and hills etc. Do not feel I am straining truck at all but in my case I am over payload when fully loaded if I have water in my holding tanks and much in basement. Had a heavier 5th wheel before and it handled it fine, I just don't like being overweight. We tow from Alberta, Canada to Arizona every year (where I am now) and all over BC rocky mountains in summer. You will be fine as long as not over payload, that is the problem, not power.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 34' TT which is normally in the 7300LB range also with the Reese DC but with 1200lbs trunnion bars. Handles well and plenty of pulling power but MPG is anywhere from 9 to 12. My 2008 Tundra specs out the same as the one your looking at. Because of all the talk about how sensitive the Reese set up is I did add air bags to return my truck to its original height after I load it up but before I hitch up.