cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Ram w/Hood Scoop

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like drittal was right. Ram appears to be adding a hood scoop to increase power output for 2018. The grill shape looks like it may resemble that of the 1500.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
44 REPLIES 44

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link and info Fish and Bedlam. Much appreciated!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
So Ram gets a free pass here??? You can bet if they had a scoop before GM all the Cummins boys here would be crying foul saying GM copied.

Really? If we are going to be getting stupid here than we can cry foul that GM copied the hood scoop from the 1970 Dodge Challenger.

Seriously though... are you trying to troll here? Don't cut in on Fishies territory...

You used to be a lot less sensitive when you drove a Toyota... I think you know why! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't see the benefit of a scoop on the Ram since it has active air and can pull air from behind the grill (a high pressure zone). I think they may have a new hood design that replaces the shark gills it's had since 2010.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
So Ram gets a free pass here??? You can bet if they had a scoop before GM all the Cummins boys here would be crying foul saying GM copied.

Really? If we are going to be getting stupid here than we can cry foul that GM copied the hood scoop from the 1970 Dodge Challenger.

Seriously though... are you trying to troll here? Don't cut in on Fishies territory...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:

That is because this is the completely wrong forum to discuss non OEM performance modifications. Just like if someone asks about programming a modern gas engine the consensus here is it is impossible otherwise the OEM's would have already done it.

That is funny. I guess they don't know that engines these days are tuned to meet emissions above all else. Performance and longevity is lower on the list because if the engine does not pass emissions then it cannot be put in a vehicle.

Prime example was my 2011 Ecoboost. Tuned to 420hp and 530 lb-ft, it actually ran better with less knocking than the stock tune on the data logs. It was probably putting out more NOx than the EPA would allow, but it was running a lot better for longevity and performance.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
2001400ex wrote:

Yes the new scoop on the Chevy has an air intake. I have an 08, and the killer in diesels is exhaust gas temperatures. I finally did my exhaust and EGR deletes and it runs a couple hundred degrees cooler on EGTs from that alone. Where before my fan clutch would come on a couple times on a mountain pass, now doesn't because the truck is cooler. I've read that an air intake on my 08 can decrease the EGTs another 50-100 degrees. Now I only tow about 8,000 pounds so I could go the speed limit before on passes, but if you are towing heavier, that 50-100 degrees can be 5 miles per hour faster on a mountain pass.

That's mostly what the companies have done is add cooling to the engines over the years. Since they starting using variable vein turbos in the 2000s, stock diesels could get to the same HP and torque and the latest diesels with only a programmer. You just have to watch temperatures to ensure they don't overheat.

BINGO! All three of the modern HD diesels can easily get to at least 500hp and 1000 lb-ft or more at the crank. It is doing it while meeting emissions and keeping the EGTs low is the issue.

It is funny that most people say that intakes are worthelss and the trucks have plenty of air up to 500 hp. Yet all of the manufacturers are starting to add air induction systems for more air. These people neglect to realize that for every 1 degree you cool the air coming in, you cool the EGTs by 1.5-2 degrees so adding an intake does have its benefits.

That is because this is the completely wrong forum to discuss non OEM performance modifications. Just like if someone asks about programming a modern gas engine the consensus here is it is impossible otherwise the OEM's would have already done it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ShinerBock wrote:
2001400ex wrote:

Yes the new scoop on the Chevy has an air intake. I have an 08, and the killer in diesels is exhaust gas temperatures. I finally did my exhaust and EGR deletes and it runs a couple hundred degrees cooler on EGTs from that alone. Where before my fan clutch would come on a couple times on a mountain pass, now doesn't because the truck is cooler. I've read that an air intake on my 08 can decrease the EGTs another 50-100 degrees. Now I only tow about 8,000 pounds so I could go the speed limit before on passes, but if you are towing heavier, that 50-100 degrees can be 5 miles per hour faster on a mountain pass.

That's mostly what the companies have done is add cooling to the engines over the years. Since they starting using variable vein turbos in the 2000s, stock diesels could get to the same HP and torque and the latest diesels with only a programmer. You just have to watch temperatures to ensure they don't overheat.

BINGO! All three of the modern HD diesels can easily get to at least 500hp and 1000 lb-ft or more at the crank. It is doing it while meeting emissions and keeping the EGTs low is the issue.

It is funny that most people say that intakes and the trucks have plenty of air up to 500 hp. Yet all of the manufacturers are starting to add air induction systems for more air. These people neglect to realize that for every 1 degree you cool the air coming in, you cool the EGTs by 1.5-2 degrees so adding an intake does have its benefits.

Valid point for sure. You can't make power on air alone and with these new trucks pushing numbers of moderately modified trucks from 10 years ago, u know they're adding fuel which raises egts.
I'm still just in awe of the OE power being put down by all the mfgs cars and trucks!
Growing up in the 70s-80s and being a car nut since a little kid I really thought the last of the "good ones" went away circa 1970-72. 20 years of pos emissions choked c rap and then BAM, let the hp wars begin.
Who'd think you could go drop your credit card at the dealer on a factory 700hp coupe or sedan or several other American made, non exotic, models in the 4-500 hp range and a couple at 600, and then go get you a 6 cyl hot rod turbo half ton, any number of 400+hp gasser trucks, or your favorite flavor of diesel with 900 ft lbs on tap without so much as popping the hood on any of them??
Even basemodel pickups have 300hp now and light duty diesels are showing up with stock HD power of 10-15 years ago.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
N-Trouble wrote:

Ok. Ram s ucks for copying GM with a hood scoop. And Same to ford for copying Dodges big rig styling back in 99 and shame on GM for..........something!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NJRVer wrote:
So what good is that hood scoop on the "disguised" Ram when it is blocked by a cover.

Who knows, the new RAMs already have a cool air setup that gets air from the passengers side grill area. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:

It is funny that most people say that intakes are worthelss and the trucks have plenty of air up to 500 hp. Yet all of the manufacturers are starting to add air induction systems for more air. These people neglect to realize that for every 1 degree you cool the air coming in, you cool the EGTs by 1.5-2 degrees so adding an intake does have its benefits.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
It's just more absurd power wars I don't care about.

Some say absurd, others say just enough, others ask How can I make some real power with this thing? Ain't it great?
If the Ram scoop is as classy as the new Dmax. Ala SRT style I bet it will look good.
I'm not a fan of aftermarket scooped hoods in general on pickups but the GM one looks decent.
I don't think they need the air though, unless maybe it's an engine intake.
Cooling systems on these trucks are very robust. My front cooler on my 07 has had all the fins smashed in since almost new. (Thanks To my toddler kids discovering they could push the fine over with their fingers one day!). Never a cooling issue at all, even heavy hauling in the summer.
Now bring on the 5th gen Rams or a Dmax mega cab so I can get a new truck please!

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
So what good is that hood scoop on the "disguised" Ram when it is blocked by a cover.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kenworth with a hood scoop vs a Dodge without one:

Clicky

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
fla-gypsy wrote:
It's just more absurd power wars I don't care about.

Some say absurd, others say just enough, others ask How can I make some real power with this thing? Ain't it great?
If the Ram scoop is as classy as the new Dmax. Ala SRT style I bet it will look good.
I'm not a fan of aftermarket scooped hoods in general on pickups but the GM one looks decent.
I don't think they need the air though, unless maybe it's an engine intake.
Cooling systems on these trucks are very robust. My front cooler on my 07 has had all the fins smashed in since almost new. (Thanks To my toddler kids discovering they could push the fine over with their fingers one day!). Never a cooling issue at all, even heavy hauling in the summer.
Now bring on the 5th gen Rams or a Dmax mega cab so I can get a new truck please!