cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3/4 Ton Trucks Will Flip

Mickey_D
Explorer
Explorer
I went back into the office last night to catch up on some work and saw a really bad accident right down the street from my shop. I am in an industrial area in North Austin and we have wide streets and a lot of mechanics in the area. A couple of them took a customers very late model shiny black 4x4 F-250 Crew Cab and did not make the turn at the end of the block. The truck rolled several times before crashing through a big chain link fence upside down. One guy seemed OK but the fire department had to cut the other one out of the truck and he looked rough. Truck is destroyed and one life may be too. Spoke with one of the guys whose place was hit and he said that it is going to be a mess, they don't know if the mechanic shop had insurance to cover this, who the truck belonged to, and because there might have been alcohol involved, who they were going to have to deal with.

Guess the lessons on this are trucks will flip on level ground before they start hitting stuff, and you never know what goes on with your vehicle when you drop it off to get worked on. I have heard of several cases lately where shops have either wrecked or "lost" vehicles so I am going to call my insurance agent and find out how this is handled and make sure that I am covered if some minimum wage tire monkey drops my car off of a lift and they have not paid their insurance premiums on time, or even worse, injures someone with my vehicle.
45 REPLIES 45

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
AngryBert-63 wrote:
Thread title is idiotic. I can 'flip' any make, model, or year of any truck you provide. Or not.

Two words. OPERATOR ERROR.

Three words. IDIOT BEHIND THE WHEEL. (get it?)

Exactly. It has nothing to do with type of vehicle. nothing is safe from rolling. Some vehicles are more Prone to rolling and COG has something to do with it, but drunk or sober joy riders have been destroying other peoples vehicles for a very long time and it really doesn't matter how much per hour they are paid.
Although I would avoid valet parking with my lamborghini if I had one:B
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Thread title is idiotic. I can 'flip' any make, model, or year of any truck you provide. Or not.

Two words. OPERATOR ERROR.

Three words. IDIOT BEHIND THE WHEEL. (get it?)
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer

I am not worried about flipping, just reminding folks that it can happen on flat ground. As far as leaving a truck with knuckleheads, have you ever had new tires put on yours? Or put it in the body shop to get hail dents taken out?

Yes, and I watch them like a hawk. My vehicle never leaves my sight.

Adam

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
pulled the wrong quote, see below.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Yes! They never rolled over before 2008. Just looked like it. We are using up gravity as you must know. In the 50s we couldn't put people on the moon.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Love reading old guy arguments! Lol.
Btw, NTrouble you're correct. And if anything, for the roughly same dia tire, a larger dia rim will actually help handing due to less side wall flex.
And I went to dubs on my Dodge recently from the old OE 17s. Trucks is not more prone to a follow er.
Man I love this forum!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who would have ever thought a drunk could roll a 4X4 truck. :S
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
If you T bone a pickup truck traveling 35+mph with a Honda Civic traveling 35+mph, there's a good chance the pickup truck is going to roll.

Not if the truck has 20" wheels. The civic would just drive right under it. ๐Ÿ˜„

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
DirtyOil wrote:

Load range E 265/70R18 General Grabber AT2 O/D 32.6"

Load range E 265/60R20 Goodyear Wrangler AT O/D 32.5"

very little difference in height between 18" and 20" WHEELS

The reason there is little difference, at least in that case, is because the number after the slash tells you the percent in aspect ratio height of the sidewall.

So, on a 265 tire, it is 265 mm wide, and 60 % of 265 is 159 mm in sidewall height (in the case of the 265/60R20)

If the number is 70 %, indicating, the sidewall height will be bigger (185.5 mm in the case of the 265/70R18)

Any tire below 65% sidewall to width height is generally considered a "sporty" tire, usually for racing ricer wannabees or those who generally have a wish for a firm ride.

There is absolutely no reason on a tow vehicle to have low profile (lower than 65%) tires. If you wanna get babes, there are much less expensive ways to do that.

I hope those guys who flipped that truck get sued for all they are worth (which is probably not much).

You ought to let GM and Ford know of you're infinite wisdom in designing HD truck tires.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
As far as hoping that the guys who took the truck get sued, probably they will be the ones who will sue.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If you T bone a pickup truck traveling 35+mph with a Honda Civic traveling 35+mph, there's a good chance the pickup truck is going to roll.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Ever more important with todays highly integrated computing system...it needs to know what tire is there

Don't know if they need dia and/or revs per mile to calculate whatever decision it needs to make

Traction control, sway control, trailer control, steering control, tranny gear selection, AND control who knows what else...

Even 4x4 control...if you have it...

LOL poor ole Uncle Ben... hope someone Quotes and paste as Bennie has me on his ignore list...:R

"needs to know what tire is there" Traction control, sway control... all work from monitoring wheel speed, using the ABS wheel speed sensors, if you have changed OEM tire diameter the computer needs to have that info imputed.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
The reason there is little difference, at least in that case, is because the number after the slash tells you the percent in aspect ratio height of the sidewall.

So, on a 265 tire, it is 265 mm wide, and 60 % of 265 is 159 mm in sidewall height (in the case of the 265/60R20)

If the number is 70 %, indicating, the sidewall height will be bigger (185.5 mm in the case of the 265/70R18)

Any tire below 65% sidewall to width height is generally considered a "sporty" tire, usually for racing ricer wannabees or those who generally have a wish for a firm ride.

There is absolutely no reason on a tow vehicle to have low profile (lower than 65%) tires. If you wanna get babes, there are much less expensive ways to do that.

I hope those guys who flipped that truck get sued for all they are worth (which is probably not much).

In the example I gave (also from Tire Rack), the difference in overall O/D is 0.1". Both were "E" rated the 1265/70R18 has a max load rating of 3525lbs, the 265/60R20 maxes out at 3195lbs for a 10% max load difference. As for Aspect ratio... the 18" are 7.3" and the 20" is 6.3" difference of 14% or 1" in sidewall height. I highly doubt either of the tires suggested by The Tire Rack can be classified as "sporty tire" as neither have speed ratings of V or even H. The point of the post was to show there can be little difference in overall tire diameter between a 18 or 20" rim.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ever more important with todays highly integrated computing system...it needs to know what tire is there

Don't know if they need dia and/or revs per mile to calculate whatever decision it needs to make

Traction control, sway control, trailer control, steering control, tranny gear selection, AND control who knows what else...

Even 4x4 control...if you have it...

Ben
Via smartphone phone...excuse my fat finger typos
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...