cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.4cor 6.7?

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fell in love with the Host Mammoth Truck Camper. So am in market for a 3500 DRW - my 2500 Mega short bed has been great but it will not hold the BIG camper.

I was all ready to get the Cummins but then realized I might be happier with the 6.4 gasser - more payload.

Any thoughts?
54 REPLIES 54

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford makes "A" perfect rig for the big Host, but not "THE" perfect rig.
If Ford had the Cummins... they would own the truck market and there might not even be any such thing as a new Ram. But they don't.
The Powerstroke is (lately) a great motor too, but it's not the only one.
You can buy an equally-impressive new Chevy Duramax too.
These days no one truck maker has hands-down superiority.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Threebigfords wrote:
Great! You got the right type of engine, now you just need the right brand of truck.

Ford makes the perfect rig for the Host Mammoth. The 2015/16 F450 has a long list of advantages over the Ram 3500. Stronger Axle, better gearing, tighter turning radius, G rated tires, more power, quieter ride, lower bed height for easier camper loading, better tow mirrors, stronger factory hitch, bigger brakes, front suspension components from a medium duty truck....you get the idea.

You get the benefits of a medium duty truck without the penalty of a derated engine.

It's all about buying the best tool for the job.

Why Ford...Ram makes capable 4500 and 5500 series trucks with the Cummins/Aisin combo!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This nonsense about gassers having more payload is brochure-readers fantasy.
The engine weighs a little less, but as mentioned, that's all up on the front where none of your payload is going anyway.
In the real world - not brochure fantasy land - the diesel will out-haul the gasser every time. That's the fact, Jack.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice for what you'll be doing. But the 6.4 is no slouch. I pulled with it for the first time last weekend. I was not going on any highways, so i kept it locked in M4 so all 8 holes stay lit all the time.

Up in the mountains, on the steep grades, i got on it enough to kick it down to 3rd gear. It went to about 4k rpm and wow did she pull strong. I had to back out of it because i was accelerating too quickly, up hill!

Its a great engine. But like anything else has its limits. Id say 10k and under trailer weight, its a great choice. All trucks hold their value well, including gassers and half tons. Just my .02

Again, great choice and best of luck
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
huntram wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
The 6.7 Cummins is a $9,000 option so you need to decide if it makes sense for you. My 2016 CTD is the last truck I'm ever gonna buy due to my age so I guess it made sense for me. A friend just bought a 6.4 Gasser and loves it, though it doesn't tow heavy

But according to KBB the 6.4 hemi set up exactly like my truck sells used for $6k less private party. Now knowing that deisels in real life hold value better it could actually be more. But that $9k after 3 year's is down to $3k difference already!

Brian

Not real world in general. But then again not many high mile used 6.4s to make that comparo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

huntram
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
The 6.7 Cummins is a $9,000 option so you need to decide if it makes sense for you. My 2016 CTD is the last truck I'm ever gonna buy due to my age so I guess it made sense for me. A friend just bought a 6.4 Gasser and loves it, though it doesn't tow heavy

But according to KBB the 6.4 hemi set up exactly like my truck sells used for $6k less private party. Now knowing that deisels in real life hold value better it could actually be more. But that $9k after 3 year's is down to $3k difference already!

Brian
Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
Threebigfords wrote:
Great! You got the right type of engine, now you just need the right brand of truck.

Ford makes the perfect rig for the Host Mammoth. The 2015/16 F450 has a long list of advantages over the Ram 3500. Stronger Axle, better gearing, tighter turning radius, G rated tires, more power, quieter ride, lower bed height for easier camper loading, better tow mirrors, stronger factory hitch, bigger brakes, front suspension components from a medium duty truck....you get the idea.

You get the benefits of a medium duty truck without the penalty of a derated engine.

Sorry - a Ford Diesel is a big NO. They will have to go a long way to regain my trust.

Same for me. One big reason I shied away from them again was the CP4 HPFP. Going to Ram was a big change for me because I was a die hard Ford man and owned 3 of them including a 7.3L (great truck) and 6.0L (not so great truck). Plus my grandfather was a sales manager at a Ford dealership for many years so we all bled blue.

I don't regret my decision to go with Ram/Cummins one bit!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Threebigfords wrote:

Sorry - a Ford Diesel is a big NO. They will have to go a long way to regain my trust.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer

15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
The thing that convinced me was mountain driving - almost every trip I make involves steep mountains in AZ, NM, Utah or Colorado.

Diesel for sure then. If you were mostly on the flats a gas would work fine for what you're doing. In the mountains a lot? Diesel or supercharged gas is the only way to go.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thing that convinced me was mountain driving - almost every trip I make involves steep mountains in AZ, NM, Utah or Colorado.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good job flashman!
Having the same truck as your old mega and a good amount of seat time in 2014 Ram diesels, I can say you will be pleasantly surprised and have made a solid choic e
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Debate over - convinced me to stay with a diesel. This will be my 3rd one and I would keep the 2006 2500 Mega cab with the 5.9 Cummins but no way could it carry the triple slide TC. I just hope the 6.7 will be as good as my old 5.9.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
If you get the gasser then plan on keeeping it til the wheels fall off if you're concerned about overall cost (which you are or you wouldn't be asking about the cheaper option).
Reason being, aint nobody wants to buy a used dually gasser. May as well be a Ford Exploder from the Firestone days.......

Yes it will get you where you're going safely though.

That is totally not true! There will be plenty of people willing to give 10k less for a gasser Dually 😉

I know I did. When I bought my 99 F350 CC Dually 2WD the 7.3 PSD versions were selling for way more than $15,000.00. I bought my Gasser v10 Dually for $5,500.00. And the body and interior were nearly perfect.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

You just confirmed the point many are making! "I bought my Gasser v10 Dually for $5,500.00. And the body and interior were nearly perfect." Resale sucks!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the loss of a little carrying capacity of the diesel, in my opinion you'll be much happier with the Cummins than the Hemi. It will be much quieter for one, get better fuel mileage and last many times longer working than the Hemi.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP