cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.7 Cummins vs 6.6 Duramax

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who knows next to nothing about Diesel engines, I am trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of these to. Any opinions would be appreciated.
87 REPLIES 87

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who have commented as these are exactly the sorts of things I was hoping to hear for but feared it would quickly turn into a fanboy debate. What a great community!!!!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
azdryheat wrote:
My Duramax is quicker off the line than my friends Cummins.

This^. Have t been in a new Aisin HO Ram, but the LML and L5P will blow the doors off a 4th gen cummins/68 combo in a drag race.
I liken it to peppy vs thick power. But both will provide massive torque. Short stroke motor just spins up quicker.

IMO pick whichever one you like from a looks and ergos stance. But even that is pretty close. Both are quiet, powerful and comfortable IMO.

Both will still have a 6 speed auto for 2019. I'm excited about more trans gears in the future, but you're already future proofing your needs with that big of a truck.
I'd take an Alli trans over a 68 for mannerisms. But the 68 is proven just as reliable IMO and the 68 programming is vastly improved from Jist a few years ago.

Just a few things that I think about comparing the 2 trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ib516 wrote:
In anything newer than about 2013/2014 its a chocolate vs vanilla argument. They're both great, but some like one better than another.

This! I'd take a new Dirtymax for its hotrod traits or a Cummjns for its simplicity. But I wouldn't think twice about getting either one with respect to reliability and power. Both are stellar IMO.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
SidecarFlip wrote:
I like them all so long as they smoke....

I'll drink to that! Roll coal brotha!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2009 Duramax has been flawless. Number 8 glowplug is the only engine issue we've had. Had to replace upper and lower control arms, tie rods and shocks. 167000 miles and going strong, hopefully another 10 years with him.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm not racing trucks I will stick with my Cummins diesel. There's lots of them rolling across the USA every day with over a million miles on the engine.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned one or more iterations of every Dmax since 01. Bought them all new, and have been happy with them (never owned a 6.7). Like already mentioned the various years have their ups and downs but overall I think both the 6.6 and 6.7 are dependable and powerful. Resale is good to great depending on the model with both of them. The resale says a lot about the confidence the market has in them, even if you plan on keeping it forever, the fact that they have value even with high miles tells you about their perceived value. The decision likely will come down to the package as a whole. It is a good position to be in.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My Duramax is quicker off the line than my friends Cummins.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
In anything newer than about 2013/2014 its a chocolate vs vanilla argument. They're both great, but some like one better than another.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Like a which truck is the best both are tops in that class. One isn't better than the other.
Drive them both and then you decide which one you like.
My self I prefer the white one in a crew cab 4wd.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Without getting too much into the weeds, where this will soon go, there are some basic differences between the layouts. Both V8 and I6 have primary and secondary balance and make fine engines. A couple of the differences are:

Cummins - Inline six has 7 main bearings and long stroke crank. Better torque characteristics but slower spin up. Cast iron head and much work can be done while still in the truck. Heavy.

Duramax - V8 has 5 main bearings and a shorter stroke crank, quicker to spin. Aluminum heads and more difficult to work on due to V configuration.

Both are good formats, It's the bolt-on stuff that makes the difference in terms of reliability. If you are buying used, there were good and bad years with both.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like them all so long as they smoke....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins: Tougher than an old boot. Fewer parts. Mine has 410,000 miles and still going strong.
Duramax: Tough. More parts to wear. At one time, the connecting rods were lighter than those in a Cummins. I don't know if that is still true.
Of course, there are those who just can't stand to own an I-6 engine, they have to have a V-8. Many years ago, when I was a Ford aficionado, I felt the same way.
Years ago, I bought a '94 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD for heavy towing, and never looked back. For me, it is Cummins all the way.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"