cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A frames in a Walmart lot ?

AlwaysTravelin
Explorer
Explorer
when you are set up somewhere besides an RV park.... like in a walmart parking lot ? do people come over to you and knock on the door to ask about your little Aliner or Chalet ?

these little trailers are so different ...i envision that most people are curious about them and they attract attention.
is that about right ?

if so... that kind of makes me a little nervous about dry camping
in a walmart lot if i am traveling from one place to another.
i'll be on the road alone
23 REPLIES 23

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Once some curious people knocked on our Aliner door, but usually they catch us outside and ask questions. There are all kinds of people so expect anything. Suggesting a small town for an economical camping spot to overnight. They are usually quiet and cheap.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've had others at a WM knock and ask if we wanted to join in the 'campground' pot luck dinner.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

JeepCB
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
sch911 wrote:
I have never felt the need to knock on someone else door to ask questions about their camper no matter where it's parked. Why would anybody do this?

If it is "parked" at a campground, I do certainly ask people about their camper. I have not knocked on a camper's door to ask about it, but it is always interesting to talk about "rigs".

I do not think I would bother anyone at a parking lot, Walmart, rest area, etc unless the situation seemed to warrant... such as parking my camper next to someone else's and saying "Hi!".

As to the original post, actually YES I would be tempted to ask you about your A frame camper - but I am a camper also, so I would be interested in it... and only if, as I said, the situation seemed suitable.

X2
"Life is hard; it's harder when you're stupid" J.W.

2006 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW QC/LB 5.9 CRD 6spd, w/Pacbrake.
2006 Denali 29rl-H5. 2 6V GC Batteries, but no solar yet.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I just came through Missoula Montana and saw an Aliner set up in the Walmart parking lot, along with a bunch of trailers. What's the problem with setting it up and sleeping in it if the WalMart doesn't care? I doubt if any of the travel trailer owners were worried about sleeping there. And I also doubt if you're going to get any lookers. When I travelled with my Aliner I never had any of that sort of thing.

b2220128
Explorer
Explorer
Our local Walmart used to have a nice, welcoming area for picnickers and overnight parkers. That is until some "locals" would camp during nice weather. Then the picnic tables and benches disappeared.

But let's be clear here, Walmart does not allow camping. Some Walmart stores allow overnight parking. Exactly where that line is crossed is up for debate, but ultimately at the discretion of the local store and local ordinance. Occupying a motor home or travel trailer that need no set up seems within reason to be parking.

Occupying a folding tent camper, seems to me to be camping, because there is enough set up and tear down that one cannot right away move if asked. An Aframe is a question one will have to answer for one's own self. Is it the modification of the vehicle or the time it takes that matters?
Tom

Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
If the Walmart allows camping, I cannot see why anyone would care if it were an Aliner. Most people who do not know about rigs would not necessarily even know that you had to set it up.

Yes, you are supposed to be low key about staying at Walmarts - but a bunch of RVs in the corner of the lot are pretty obvious. The idea that you cannot set up chairs, awnings, etc comes because people started doing more and more in the Walmarts, and that could bring on restrictive legislation.

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice always check with Management of the store, as some Walmarts do not allow overnight parking/camping.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
At 5'3" and a 110 pounds, my mother is not very intimidating. When she was traveling a lot i bought her a handgun and she got her CPL. Her and I both feel more content knowing she has the ability to protect herself. I come from a very 2nd amendment supportive family, maybe you dont... Regardless, whether you have mace or whatever, you might look in to ways of self protection. No one looks at my mother and knows shes packing heat, but if the time came she would be alright.

Everytime ive stayed in a parking lot, its simply to get several hours of sleep. I show up late, leave early. never been bother or even talked to. typically not a soul around
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

AlwaysTravelin
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
AlwaysTravelin wrote:

...being a single girl makes me somewhat nervous....

Wasn't aware previously that you are a solo female traveler.

You may want to rethink that Expedition. Depending on the year, they can be mighty tall. Many woman can't reach to unfold a Classic model let alone an Expedition. I sincerely hope that you are above average height.

I am about 5'6".. and pretty strong. i have hard locking top on my
pick up truck and i can manage folding that back. i am fairly sure the
A frame wont give me any trouble.... at least i hope so. lol

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
If it happens, talk to the park host and ask for a refund. They should have better control over their park (ing lot) than that.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
AlwaysTravelin wrote:

...being a single girl makes me somewhat nervous....

Wasn't aware previously that you are a solo female traveler.

You may want to rethink that Expedition. Depending on the year, they can be mighty tall. Many woman can't reach to unfold a Classic model let alone an Expedition. I sincerely hope that you are above average height.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

AlwaysTravelin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your answers. i guess i am just nervous about doing this on my own. i would expect other campers may want to ask about it if they saw me putting it up... but might be a little concerned about someone not camping ...hanging around looking a little to interested. being a single girl makes me somewhat nervous about dry camping in places like walmart. maybe i am being a bit paranoid but i have known some folks that have had some troubles.

anyway..... thanks for your help. i would like to look forward to parking in truck stops and the like as i am traveling.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it could happen no matter the type of RV you have, and can occur being parked at a legitimate campsite or overnighting in a parking lot. I've seen every type of RV at the RV shows and have little interest in disturbing others about details of their rig, I really don't think you need to be overly concerned about it due to your type of RV. We primarily focus on finding safe and somewhat quiet overnighting spots when traveling late into the night.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We have overnighted in the Aliner in the following places;
Walmart
Tractor Supply
truck stops
rest areas
shopping malls
city streets
various other retail establishments and restaurants.

We have NEVER had a knock on the door.

We have had some comments (all friendly) when people see us outside getting in or out and/or unfolding or folding.

The sixty second set up makes an A-frame ideal for overnighting.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900