cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A good friend

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good friend of mine - new to RVing - bought a used 21 ft toy hauler to drag his and hers Harleys around the country and he is smart enough to know this is 3/4 ton and up country.

The 2 trucks on his short list are a 2005 Ford 6.0 and a 2009 Ford 6.4. They are on his list because they are way cheaper than Chevys or Dodges.

How to tell him to avoid Ford diesels - even though they are apparent bargains.

He is asking my advice and I don't want to come over as a brand loyal asphat.
29 REPLIES 29

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
justafordguy wrote:
To answer your question, Between those two trucks the 6.0 is much cheaper/easier to bullet proof. After the know issues on the 6.0 are fixed it is a very reliable engine.

Until it's NOT. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
He went and bought the 6.0. He is vaguely aware of "bullet proofing" and asked what I know about it. I pointed him to some of the Ford forums - but still wants my opinion.

I am a Dodge guy and don't know shite about Fords - other than watch out when buying their diesels.

I decided not to give an opinion.

You're a smart man. 90% of the time here is how it will go:

You give him advise where to bullet proof it. They will do the work and then the engine screws up or blows up 6 months down the line. You get the blame because the guy "you" recommended to do the work on the engine is not a good mechanic.

On top of that he will be 2,000 miles away from home when his engine blows up and he will want you to tow his trailer home because "you" recommended the place that screwed up his truck.

You're smart to stay out of this deal!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
You better recommend that he go to google for advice.

If he cannot figure out why the 6.0 and 6.4 are bargains, you need to stay out of that quagmire.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well decision made, I sure hope your friend got a good 6.0.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
A good friend of mine - new to RVing - bought a used 21 ft toy hauler to drag his and hers Harleys around the country and he is smart enough to know this is 3/4 ton and up country.

The 2 trucks on his short list are a 2005 Ford 6.0 and a 2009 Ford 6.4. They are on his list because they are way cheaper than Chevys or Dodges.

Well he sure doesn't need a 2500 truck or a diesel for a small 21' toy hauler.....JMO.

I would tell him to look at the '00-'06 1500HD chevy/gmc trucks with 8600 gvwr...6000 rawr....load E tires and wheels...6.0 gaz engine.....3000 lb payloads.....10k+ lb tow ratings. This truck is the old 2500 model before the 2500HD came out.

The F150HD Ford with a 3.5 eb engine 8200 gvwr....4800 rawr/load E tires and wheels...2500-3000 lb payloads....10k tow ratings.

And the '00s era 1500 Mega cab Dodge...5.7 hemi...with 8510 gvwr...6000 rawr...E tires and wheels. This truck won't have any issues carrying 3k payloads and pulling 8k-10k trailers.

Now if he just wants a diesel then the old 5.9 Cummins or the 6.6 dmax or the older 7.3 engines of that era will work fine.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I considered going this route so it's not a totally crazy idea to save a few bucks, but in the end my risk averse side won and I decided I really didn't want to deal with the headache and potential expense that goes along with these engines. A big part of my rationale was that one of my main motivators for buying the truck was to use it for family camping trips and vacations and I really didn't want to introduce unneeded stress/issues into what is meant to be family fun time. Life's too short.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He went and bought the 6.0. He is vaguely aware of "bullet proofing" and asked what I know about it. I pointed him to some of the Ford forums - but still wants my opinion.

I am a Dodge guy and don't know shite about Fords - other than watch out when buying their diesels.

I decided not to give an opinion.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:

Best advice to give your friend if new to RVing and Diesel trucks, is forget the Ford/ Corn Binder 6.0 and 6.4, and look at either a GM/Isuzu/Duramax or a Ram/Cummins.

I would only think about suggesting a Ford/CB to a person that is good at doing their own Wrenching.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 08 6.4, the truck was deleted, once that is done it will run great. They did have some with radiator issues, but by now I would think those would be mostly resolved.

I never owned a 6.0 but have a friend with a diesel performance shop, he can bullet proof one for under $4k, so if it hasn't been done I would plan for it.

For that size trailer and trying to keep on a budget like I can imagine he might be on, I would look for a gas engine truck, gm 6.0 or ford v10. Maybe even consider a 1/2 ton, I cant imagine a 21' weighting that much as most 1/2 tons can now tow 10k lbs.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Both are great engines once you put work into them. You have to remove the emissions stuff, which might not be practical where he lives due to emissions testing. The 6.0 had many other failures and you need a coolant filter ($100 fix). The 6.4 is stout but Ford did a terrible job implementing the DPF. Tell him to read on Ford - trucks.com before he buys one.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best places to learn about any issues with those engines is powerstrokehelp.com , this guy really knows these engines,the good and bad.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You need to point him to some of the discussions about the 6.0 and 6.4 problems so that he can educate himself. Just telling him "stay away those are bad engines" he may not believe you.

I'm not a Ford guy but there are Ford forums out there with plenty of discussion about these engines and their issues. Head gaskets, clogged oil coolers, EGR...

There are indeed many 6.0's and 6.4's on the road without issues, but those aren't the ones for sale by and large. The truck is for sale because there is something wrong with it, 99.9 percent of the time. When a 6.0 or 6.4 is involved, it's more likely to be an impending engine disaster than not.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question, Between those two trucks the 6.0 is much cheaper/easier to bullet proof. After the know issues on the 6.0 are fixed it is a very reliable engine.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
We also lost our @$$ on a 6.0... Go Cummins in that price range..
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G