cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A little help from the PU crowd please

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
After 8 great years and 210K miles its time to retire the 2003 Yukon XL 8.1/4:10. I just acquired a 38' bumper tow that weighs about 9500 empty, with a hitch weight of they say 1100 lbs, but it feels a little heavier. The three vehicles I am looking at are a 2018 Sierra 3500 srw gasser for $66k CDN, a 2017 Sierra 3500 DRW gasser for 56k and a 2015 drw diesel for 61K-both used trucks have about 20k miles on them. I've never towed with a pu. Any recommendations?
Thanks
32 REPLIES 32

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! IIdonโ€™t usually get attached to vehicles but will definetly miss the Yukon. Would by another one immeadiately if GM hadnโ€™t toasted the 8.1 and pummeled the tow rating in 2006.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford up wrote:
After 8 great years and 210K miles its time to retire the 2003 Yukon XL 8.1/4:10.

You don't mention if there will be services or where to send flowers.....

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up buying a 2016 Sierra 3500 Denali sew with 26k km. Will be a few weeks until I can connect the Trailer but Way happy with the Truck. Thanks again to all for the advice.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Diesel trucks for towing.
DRW are a PITA except for hauling large campers or big trailers.
If you think long bed is hard to park, try a long bed truck with four rear wheels. They are always for sale for a reason.

Well at least you had one, the first one, as a correct statement there!
Most of us learn to drive what we have, others maybe not so much.
Never had any issue parking my dually where I wanted to. I agree though the OP doesn't need a dually but after towing with one vs the SRW I'd go dually all day long.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
After driving both the gas and diesels, albeit without the Trailer connected, I am leaning heavily towards the diesel motor. I was pleasantly surprised just how quite they have become. Wasnโ€™t really impressed with the acceleration of the 6 litre. Thanks to all for the great advice.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
PopBeavers wrote:
My son is towing a similar sized trailer. Maybe a bit smaller/lighter.

He started out towing with a Toyota Highlander. It worked, but struggled on long steep grades.

Last year I gave him my 2oo8 GMC crew cab, long bed, 4x4 gasser. It does much better, but he is jealous of my diesel.

This is not to say that I recommend the diesel. There is a lot of extra cost to step up from gas to diesel. Only you can justify that incremental cost of purchase and maintenance.

I assume you meant a Tundra as there's NO way he was pulling a TT anywhere near that size with Highlander. The hitch weight alone could not be supported by a vehicle that small.

And OP, FWIW, I pull a 34' TT with a 3/4 ton gasser. But it would appear you are about 1,500 pounds heavier than me, but I still wouldn't hesitate pulling it with a gasser.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a big fan of back roads and Off road. Moab area especially. I can see the dusky being a bit problematic especially on the Jeep trails , but as long as one back tire is on...

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what you like for sightseeing, but we enjoy small roads and gravel roads as well as small towns. Many of these are kinda narrow and parking can be a pain even without the dually. One of my favorite options on my truck is the 4wd.
Love those mountain backroads
That diesel likes the 10,000# load of my trailer.

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
The diesel will tow much better. As you mentioned the def... That is the most negligible cost. The extra 2 tires of the drw will cost you much more.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel trucks for towing.
DRW are a PITA except for hauling large campers or big trailers.
If you think long bed is hard to park, try a long bed truck with four rear wheels. They are always for sale for a reason.

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
Correct-it would be my daily driver as well. Looks like DEF is about $12.00 US for 2 gallons. It looks like the fuel tanks are larger on the diesels so it would make it worth while to Gil both fluids over the line.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
DEF only costs about $2.75/gal US at the pump so it's an insignificant expense. Any newer HD diesel would pull that trailer great and I don't think you'd regret going with an oil burner over gas.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
ford up wrote:
Thanks. Iโ€™m just trying to rap my head around DEF fluid and there doesnโ€™t seem to be anything cheap about it!

Is DEF that expensive in thr North Country ? My 2012 D/A I put one carton about each 5000 miles . Tractor Supply has the 5 gal for $19.99 U.S. but I buy the smaller carton (2 gal I think)

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
ford up wrote:
After 8 great years and 210K miles its time to retire the 2003 Yukon XL 8.1/4:10. I just acquired a 38' bumper tow that weighs about 9500 empty, with a hitch weight of they say 1100 lbs, but it feels a little heavier. The three vehicles I am looking at are a 2018 Sierra 3500 srw gasser for $66k CDN, a 2017 Sierra 3500 DRW gasser for 56k and a 2015 drw diesel for 61K-both used trucks have about 20k miles on them. I've never towed with a pu. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Go with the dually.

X-2

I would go with the diesel also. The maint every 50,000 mls will be $200-$300 higher than a gasser. Fuel cost mpg will be better than the gasser. I usually get 12+ pulling my sig TT.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.