cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to leave, truck batteries are dead question

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I loaded the camper last night packed everything up had the truck running idling for a while no problem. Today I go to start truck batteries are dead and I can’t figure why the meter is saying the camper battery is OK, lights work.Can anybody help me with this? Thanks
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator
30 REPLIES 30

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
NVR2L82AV8 wrote:
Yep, it's your truck. As a 6.0 Ford PowerStroke owner I'll add some things to ponder (not from experience--sarcasm). If you rely on your Trucks alternator to "charge" your Camper batteries you should definitely think about a bigger alternator than stock or OEM. I replaced my OEM alternator five years ago and all my truck electrical issues vanished -- full stop. Since I had plenty of "amperage" available I even added a 6AWG line to charge my batteries separately---I could have never done that with an OEM Alternator. My Leece Neville 230 AMP alternator will charge at idle--you're OEM will struggle if not provide zero charging capability.

Go on-line and invest in a 230AMP alternator - Trust me, You will kick yourself for not doing it a long time ago.

I'd also offer that you need to replace your truck batteries as a pair. Since they are below 12.6V I'd charge them up. I've bought new batteries before and had one go bad - not uncommon. Take your new batteries back to the place you bought them and have them do a "Load" test. You'll know immediately if you have a bad battery and they should replace it for free if you are still in the warranty period. Another word of caution. Just because your Truck battery gets a jump to start does not mean it'll charge. An alternator requires V to excite the alternator. Generators do not. Lots of folks learn this the hard way.

If you can afford it get AGMs for the diesel. Here's a link to a 230AMP. You can search on-line for the best prices. Be advised Leece Neville's are produced in the US. So, there are Chineeesm Knockoffs (go figure). Buy from a reputable dealer.

Leece Neville 230 AMP
. 7.3 driver I will absolutellook into that alternator, I sent the truck to the shop for 2 reasons first is diagnostic the second is the serpentine belt is a major hassle for me and I don’t want to deal with it. Too old anc lazy ,I have not had an issue with the alt in the truck but we are taking a pretty long trip in August so what the hell .As for the batteries I replaced them in February so they are new I hope not shot. Thanks
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it's your truck. As a 6.0 Ford PowerStroke owner I'll add some things to ponder (not from experience--sarcasm). If you rely on your Trucks alternator to "charge" your Camper batteries you should definitely think about a bigger alternator than stock or OEM. I replaced my OEM alternator five years ago and all my truck electrical issues vanished -- full stop. Since I had plenty of "amperage" available I even added a 6AWG line to charge my batteries separately---I could have never done that with an OEM Alternator. My Leece Neville 230 AMP alternator will charge at idle--you're OEM will struggle if not provide zero charging capability.

Go on-line and invest in a 230AMP alternator - Trust me, You will kick yourself for not doing it a long time ago.

I'd also offer that you need to replace your truck batteries as a pair. Since they are below 12.6V I'd charge them up. I've bought new batteries before and had one go bad - not uncommon. Take your new batteries back to the place you bought them and have them do a "Load" test. You'll know immediately if you have a bad battery and they should replace it for free if you are still in the warranty period. Another word of caution. Just because your Truck battery gets a jump to start does not mean it'll charge. An alternator requires V to excite the alternator. Generators do not. Lots of folks learn this the hard way.

If you can afford it get AGMs for the diesel. Here's a link to a 230AMP. You can search on-line for the best prices. Be advised Leece Neville's are produced in the US. So, there are Chineeesm Knockoffs (go figure). Buy from a reputable dealer.

Leece Neville 230 AMP
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
7.3driver wrote:
This may sound like a silly question but did it rain over night when you came outside and found the truck batteries dead ?
The reason I ask is cause I have a early 1999 F350. Sometimes after a good rain what happens is water will get to the inside of the outer door handle where the electrical switch is for the inside illumination lites and cause them to come on and run the batteries down.
Ford may have corrected this on later models.
yes it did rain that night. but they were new, good as opposed to new (bad) time will tell. Good to know!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mattyj wrote:
Thanks everyone I jumped the truck and the voltage did not increase at first I thought it had something to do with the tc but I think that the tc was on truck and this happened was just a Coincidence. So when I had the truck running last night quite a while I might have killed the batteries due to the alternator being no good. I am waiting for AAA to pick up my truck and bring it to the shop, no trip this weekend, I really lucked out this happened in my drivewayAnd not on interstate 81

Replacing the alternator on a 6.0no is literally one of the easiest engines to replace on.
If you’re not able to replace it yourself and having it towed/paying retail, at least make sure you get a real quality alternator from an alternator rebuild shop or a fully rebuilt / new one if you can get new. As there is not a quality off the shelf reman out there and the 20 minute replacement job will cost you $100s in labor and towing each time.
Every vehicle that’s needed an alternator in recent years for me has required multiple replacements in short order due to being junk pieces of **** still. Remans don’t get rebuilt. They get whatever part is broke, new brushes and back in a box.
Last one I took to a shop and had it completely rebuilt.
All the pos remans from every parts store are just that, junk.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
7.3driver wrote:
This may sound like a silly question but did it rain over night when you came outside and found the truck batteries dead ?
The reason I ask is cause I have a early 1999 F350. Sometimes after a good rain what happens is water will get to the inside of the outer door handle where the electrical switch is for the inside illumination lites and cause them to come on and run the batteries down.

If interior lights run down the dual batteries in a diesel overnight, time to replace the batteries.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

7_3driver
Explorer
Explorer

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've replaced three alternators in my 2005 F350 in the past three years. The last time, I erroneously concluded my batteries were bad, after which the new batteries ran down. Sure enough, it was another bad alternator.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone I jumped the truck and the voltage did not increase at first I thought it had something to do with the tc but I think that the tc was on truck and this happened was just a Coincidence. So when I had the truck running last night quite a while I might have killed the batteries due to the alternator being no good. I am waiting for AAA to pick up my truck and bring it to the shop, no trip this weekend, I really lucked out this happened in my drivewayAnd not on interstate 81

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like the alternator on truck failed. Failures always happens at worse time.

as others said, charge truck batteries, start truck and recheck the voltage running. did it go up into the 13v or higher range?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Chuck and Di wrote:
If I read this correctly the truck batteries are 11.38 and camper batteries are 12.56. This means the camper has nothing to do with it. Problem is contained to the truck.

Thank you!
That was lost on the last 15 shade tree diagnoses responses.
OP, disconnect trailer plug , although it must be a Ford with a disconnect or I’d expect the camper battery to have suffered as well.
Jump start truck, see if alternator is working. If yes, you drainded the batteries...somehow. If not, you probably lost the alternator.
That’s where I’d start.

Edit presume you have a diesel since you said truck batteries plural. It may take a little charging to light off the diesel. If you don’t have a booster or good charger, and don’t want to spend the time/try/risk charging with the jump vehicle, if you can hook up your good camper battery to the primary side of the truck, it should start it. (So you can diagnose the alternator)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
If I read this correctly the truck batteries are 11.38 and camper batteries are 12.56. This means the camper has nothing to do with it. Problem is contained to the truck.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
No charge from the alternator might be a reason. You could have run them down the night before while you were running the truck, thinking they would be charged.
I wish you luck!
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Running batteries down to "dead" harms them. Your new batteries may never perform as well as expected. Sorry
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Charge or jump start the truck. Once running check the voltage after the jump cables/charger is removed. If you see 13.5+ volts from the alternator I would roll.