cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Addding nitrogen to tires

ssemalone
Explorer
Explorer
Soooo.. I have nitrogen filled tires on my microlite, How do I add more? Where can I get pure nitrogen for the tires????
30 REPLIES 30

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Red-Rover wrote:
Nascar racing teams use Nitrogen instead of air. It may not be necessary for less than severe conditions but if there was no benefit I don't believe they would take that extra step.

I was told long ago that the race teams use nitrogen because it builds up heat less than "regular" air.

That might be a benefit in tires on an Indy car at 240 mph. It isn't going to make much difference at 65
I need some wild

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
HVAC guys have nitrogen cylinders on our trucks having said that I lost my tire nozzle that fits my regulator so I used air instead nitrogen cylinders are charged to 2000 psi
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:

I was told long ago that the race teams use nitrogen because it builds up heat less than "regular" air.

This guy I once knew said...........:B

It probably says this in the Edmunds article:
The only real advantage of using "nitrogen" in tires is that in it's compressed and bottled form, there is virtually NO water vapor in it.
It is mainly the water vapor that causes pressure changes with temperature and encourages corrosion (what little there is).

Really dry plain air is 99.999% as good as bottled nitrogen.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone thinking of using nitrogen, read this first. Then you can make an informed decision.

Edmonds-Nitrogen

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I heard two nitrogen tires blow last year after the tires on the right side hit a concrete abutment...boom. For many years as an aircraft mechanic we used regular air in our tires and accumulators. After getting a nitrogen generator we switched....
Mark

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Nitrogen has benefits in tires used for air craft or race cars.

For a vehicle at normal speeds, it serves no practical purpose. It is a profit center for the tire seller.

If it makes you feel better, spend the money on it. It wonโ€™t hurt, but remember that it is not as easy to find 100% Nitrogen for bring tires up to pressure.

Normal air contains 78% Nitrogen, so is it worth it for an extra 22%? I think not.

The next time I tow my trailer at 200 MPH or it has the name โ€œBoeingโ€ on it, I will use nitrogen.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Red-Rover wrote:
Nascar racing teams use Nitrogen instead of air. It may not be necessary for less than severe conditions but if there was no benefit I don't believe they would take that extra step.

Explorer
Explorer
PRodacy wrote:
352 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Plane air is about 80% nitrogen, soooooo...
Nitrogen in RV tires is a waste. There is no, zero, nada real benefit.

May I ask what plane air is?

I think plane air is what keeps aircraft from falling down.

Do you mean airplain?
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

I think plane air is what keeps aircraft from falling down.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I believe this horse died quite awhile ago!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you get them filled? To get back to the OP's question? I have no clue. My automobile and truck are nitrogen filled by my dealer. Every time I take them in for serviceing or oil changes, they check the pressure and add as necessary. Since I service them only at my dealership (because of being new, warranties, and extended service plans). Other than that, I no clue. My dealer(s) told me if I had a low tire between services, regular air is perfectly fine.

Personally, I see no advantage with nitrogen. I personally think it's just a gemick to get people to spend more money and something to razzle and dazzle a gullible consumer.