cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding factory accessories

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
For towing purposes I was so excited when backup cameras became available on trucks, as well as built-in brake controllers. But it's frustrating as most trucks I see on the lots are missing one or the other, or the towing mirrors. A couple questions/comments:

I've confirmed that you can add manual towing mirrors to the new F150 but not the power ones. Lame on Ford's part, especially since only a very small percentage are equipped with them from the factory.

How about the Ram? Last I checked you could but that was a long time ago.

Lame also on Ford's part that the backup camera is not even available as an option on the Superduty XL, and not standard on the XLT. Can you add the factory one? It's part of the logo piece in the middle of the tailgate, so probably not.

Can you add factory brake controllers to most trucks? I'm pretty sure you can on the Rams; what about the Fords?
Craig
33 REPLIES 33

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
TheSidwells wrote:
You can always buy none OEM to meet your needs.

Backup camera's are now required on all vehicles last I heard from 2016 and on. I bought my F350 with all 3 no issues and love it.

They won't be required for two more years unfortunately. There is no reason not to have a $200 backup camera on a $40k plus vehicle.

The HD trucks are more likely to have towing mirrors (they are standard on some).
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
I know on the GM side of things, lots and lots of guys buy them aftermarket just because they are so hard to get from the factory without special ordering them.

As for the power mirrors, sometimes a special wiring harness can be added. That might be something for you to look into. It's likely big buck$ to for that though.

My Ford dealer ordered the parts and tried to add towing mirrors to another customer's truck and after many hours and many dollars still couldn't get them to work. They can be added to the last generation F150 but can't to the new ones.
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Best way to answer your questions would be to go the RAM and Ford site's and build a truck. That way you'll know what options are available in the trim level you are interested in.
I will tell you from my recent experience that it's hard to impossible to find a truck outfitted for towing that had the specific equipment I wanted. Most of the trucks I looked at on the lots were either really loaded up with a lot of extra costly stuff or were bare bones "contractor/landscaper" white work trucks. I ended up doing a factory order to get just what I wanted.

I've done that, and that tells me what they could come with but not whether it can be added after the fact.

I agree, most either have too much or too little. These factory options are not expensive compared to the cost of the truck and other options they add, that I think every truck that has a hitch except maybe the base V6 models should have them. Then they can selectively add luxury options to some of them. I've seen so many stupidly-optioned trucks -- base v6 models with the towing options and HD diesels without, packages that are redundant and conflict with each other (such as one that adds one type of wheel and then a separate option for a different type of wheel on top of it), etc.
Craig

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
All Rams come wite the same wiring harness except the back up camera harness on the HD trucks. If you or the dealer orders the camera on a HD order the harness is either in bed or tailgate camera.

After the harness and equipment is installed the correct sales code has to be inputted in the bcm and turned on. This goes for anything added to a FCA vehicle. Everything is plug and play but requires dealer activation.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

dinwiddi
Explorer
Explorer
I learned long ago, when you order a vehicle it is more personal and when you begin to complain dear wife reminds one "remember you got exactly what you wanted" and that tends to end the discussion.
Jerry & Ellen
2004 276 RLS FW Coachmen

Chaparral " Miss Ellens Delight"

:R
2015 RAM 3500 Dually 4X4 Cummins 68RFE 3.73 ram prep B&W 3600

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Order the truck the way you want it. That's what I did with my current truck and probably will with the next one. I don't want a bunch of luxury fluff in my truck, just useful things.
I agree with all who say: "order it they way you want it". That's just what I have always done.

However, I would love to order just what I wanted without the extra luxury fluff. Sadly, most of the optional equipment and accessories are packaged together. You can't get this without that. And even have to move up a level or two in total trim grade packages. It's either do without or pay the price for all the extras you didn't necessarily want.

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 F-250 didn't have tow mirrors, brake controller, or a backup camera. I got aftermarket tow mirrors that are identical to the factory versions from an online retailer, they plugged right in to the factory harness. I went to the salvage yard and got the brake controller, it too plugged into the factory harness, and I all I had to have the dealership do is re-flash the powertrain control module to enable the brake controller. As for the backup camera, I got an aftermarket camera and monitor from Rear View Systems, it works great. All of these mods were much cheaper than getting them in a new vehicle and specifying them on the build sheet.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the simpler electrical stuff these days can be added afterwards, like Brake Controllers, Bed lights and so on.

Just added the RAM bed lights that came out in 2016, the only thing missing from the truck I bought off the lot. Easy to do it yourself if your truck is a 2016 as all the wiring is right there. But then you have to take the truck in to get the truck's computer updated or the stupid lights don't work. That was another C$50.

Similar computer update needed when adding the OEM brake controller I'm told.

What RAM does is first update your vehicle configuration in some central database, then use that to upgrade your truck's configuration. In my case, the dealer was able to do the first bit, but he didn't dare upgrade my truck's computer because their internet was acting up. Apparently if the update fails your truck is dead. So I had to come back later to get it done. Monumental hassle.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

TheSidwells
Explorer
Explorer
You can always buy none OEM to meet your needs.

Backup camera's are now required on all vehicles last I heard from 2016 and on. I bought my F350 with all 3 no issues and love it.
The Sidwell's

Live like no tomorrow, plan like there is....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Order the truck the way you want it. That's what I did with my current truck and probably will with the next one. I don't want a bunch of luxury fluff in my truck, just useful things.

Are you still able to apply all incentives to a custom ordered truck? The $8000+ worth of incentives right now on the Ram 2500 are all "must take delivery from existing dealer stock." Is there a way around that?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
hemismith wrote:

When I leased my Outdoorsman, that was the only gizmo missing I had wanted, the Park View rear camera. My sales guy, his sales manager and the service manager all assured me it was possible, "oh yea, we've done that before." I wasn't willing to walk away from the deal, so... well, heh, you know their assurance was a line of BS.

My truck already has the uConnect 8.4AN radio, which supports up to three camera (front, rear and bed), however Fiat leaves out the wiring harness to connect the cameras to the radio. You can order the harness, but it's crazy expensive. You can modify the existing harness if you're limber, but the dealer won't do it. They also won't re-flash the radio to enable camera input, you have to buy a hacking device from online, either a software hack that comes on a USB stick, or a hardware hack that plugs into the radio. If you think Park View is an expensive option to add when building, it's even more expensive to add after market.

I do like the idea of having it integrated, and on an 8 inch screen. The idea of having a separate screen just for a wireless camera is a turn off for me. The next trucks I'm looking at will likely be a stripper model, with just a basic radio. So I might look at a Garmin RV gps and the add-on wireless camera.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
hemismith wrote:

Lame also on Ford's part that the backup camera is not even available as an option on the Superduty XL, and not standard on the XLT. Can you add the factory one? It's part of the logo piece in the middle of the tailgate, so probably not.

Can you add factory brake controllers to most trucks? I'm pretty sure you can on the Rams; what about the Fords?

Ebay is your friend.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
You can not add the controller to the GM Twins. Way to much involved to do so. Not sure abut the Ram, but you can add the brake controller to a Ford last I have read.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
hemismith wrote:

My mirrors fold automatically when I'm not careful pulling into my garage. Otherwise they're manual. :B

As far as I know you can add factory brake controllers to any truck. Just as an FYI you can also add a factory backup camera to a Ram and have a dealer enable it and it'll work like it came from the factory that way. I've considered adding one to my truck but it's less important with a fifth wheel since I can see what I'm doing by looking over my shoulder, so I don't know if I'll do it or not. I suppose with kids I should do it just from a safety standpoint.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB