Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice & Feedback on Truck/Camper Combo Before Purchase

rogerwaters
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new truck and camper and wanted to run my specific combo by the community as a sanity check before committing to such a large purchase.

The camper is a new Lance 1172 with most options and I'm looking to put it onto a new Ford regular cab dually with diesel engine. If I can't afford the weight of the diesel, which I do prefer as an engine, then I'll go with the gasser which will do the job just fine as well.

The cargo capacity door jam sticker on the truck that I'm looking at is 6390 lbs. and I've estimated my total payload to be 6280 lbs. leaving only ~110 lbs. of buffer. Now I know that these trucks can handle weight above the specified limits, but I'm one of those guys that doesn't want to be even one pound over these limits - not passing judgement on anyone who sees it otherwise.

To me, this is a decision of whether or not I can afford the weight of the diesel. A big consideration is that I will be launching a boat in the shoulder season where the ramps can get quite slippery. The weight of the diesel would ensure great traction on the front tires when pulling the boat out. Therefore, even if I end up going with the gasser, I am considering sticking with the regular cab in order to shift as much as weight as possible towards the front tires - does that make sense or will the regular cab vs supercab result in very little difference of weight on the front tires?

I'm looking for feedback from the community on this combo and how I am planning on using it. Additionally, and maybe I'm just being paranoid here, but if end up with the diesel, is there any chance that I might end up with too much weight on the front axle?

Base Camper (dry) = 3923
Options = 400
Water (60 gallon) = 500
LPG = 60
Extra Drinking Water = 40
Torklift Talon Tie-down (front) = 30
Torklift Talon Tie-down (rear) = 18
Torklift Locking Guns = 5
Torklift SuperHitch Magnum = 105
Torklift SuperTruss 48" = 83
Torklift Ball & Mount = 10
Torklift Wire Harness = 2
Torklift Stable Loads = 9
Timbrens = 6
Rubber Mat = 48
Rock Tamers = 35
Boat Tongue Weight = 475
Clothes + Personal Effects = 100
Kitchenware = 100
Food = 80
Driver Extra = 50
Passenger = 200
-----------------------------------------------------
Total Payload = 6279
Truck Payload Capacity = 6390
Excess Truck Payload Capacity = 111

Thanks I look forward to the feedback!

mike
37 REPLIES 37

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
During my life time, I have known several people who had accidents and were cited for for being at fault and drunk driving. Their insurance companies covered them. Kinda difficult to be more negligent than that. While I understand the CHP may have deemed him grossly overloaded, and cited him and he was criminally charged, I really doubt that gave the insurance the ability to not cover him. Cancel his insurance or not renew, but not refuse to cover the accident.I think there is more to the story.

If you have a link, I would appreciate it. I too am not a member of the weight police and have run well over my sticker rating for years. My present truck (same TC) runs well under its sticker rating. That is not why I bought it, but it is what it is.

Wayne

I personally know a Marine that had her insurance company deny coverage on her brand new vehicle (I think they still paid medical and other damages though). She drove her and friend to the bar in her new vehicle and was supposed to be the DD for her friend. Then later in the night, after friend was already drunk, she changed her mind when she met a guy she wanted to go home with. So she gave her drunk friend the keys and told her to drive her car home.

Drunk friend ended up rear ending a stopped tractor trailer on the 60 mile trip back to Base, totaling the car and suffering brain damage.

They didn't pay her a dime for giving her keys to a drunk and she hadn't even made her first car payment yet.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
I'll see if I can find it. Insurance did deny him he lost everything. But....it is an Internet forum too. Lol
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
During my life time, I have known several people who had accidents and were cited for for being at fault and drunk driving. Their insurance companies covered them. Kinda difficult to be more negligent than that. While I understand the CHP may have deemed him grossly overloaded, and cited him and he was criminally charged, I really doubt that gave the insurance the ability to not cover him. Cancel his insurance or not renew, but not refuse to cover the accident.I think there is more to the story.

If you have a link, I would appreciate it. I too am not a member of the weight police and have run well over my sticker rating for years. My present truck (same TC) runs well under its sticker rating. That is not why I bought it, but it is what it is.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
... From what I e learned if you cause an accident and deemed at fault and given a ticket for being over weight as the source of that accident, yes insurance can deny the claim. I have asked this question and have only seen this done in extreme cases, i.e. The Toyota pickup hauling three tons of rock and had a tire blow out killing people. ...
I do not believe this. More often than not, one person is responsible for an accident, driving under the influence, speeding, running a red light, and more. Based on your post, the insurance company can deny the claim. I have never had anyone tell me from first hand experience this is true.

Wayne

Wayne, there is a thread on dune runners I believe where it did happen to a guy with an overloaded F250 pulling a 40' or toyhauler (lifted on 37's of course) that crashed into and killed a family. CHP deemed him grossly overloaded, cited him and he was criminally charged. Extreme case sure. The troopers and officers I have posed the question to state it is rare and more common with commercial haulers but they do consider this in investigations. It is usually a series of events that lead to accidents which is why it might not be pointed to as the sole cause.

Having said that I'm not the weight police and I run well over my sticker rating. I feel my truck has been outfitted for the tasks and God forbid the worst happen, I don't think my few thousand pounds is going to make or break things IMHO, now if I was pulling 30k down the road and couldn't stop it......I think insurance might look at that a little harder...but might also be the least of my concerns too.

But like you I've never had any first hand experience and don't think it ever happens much.

Bedlam
The slide on rating is less because they assume all of he seats in the cab are occupied by 150 lbs. This is taken off your available payload to give you the slide in weight rating.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
The truck should have a payload capacity and slide-in camper capacity rating. The slide-in camper capacity will be lower due to the higher center of gravity of the slide-in camper.

The payload capacity is the same whether it's for a TC or a pallet of bricks.

That might be true if the pallet of bricks were 12' high.:B

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
The truck should have a payload capacity and slide-in camper capacity rating. The slide-in camper capacity will be lower due to the higher center of gravity of the slide-in camper.

The payload capacity is the same whether it's for a TC or a pallet of bricks.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinsil wrote:
... From what I e learned if you cause an accident and deemed at fault and given a ticket for being over weight as the source of that accident, yes insurance can deny the claim. I have asked this question and have only seen this done in extreme cases, i.e. The Toyota pickup hauling three tons of rock and had a tire blow out killing people. ...
I do not believe this. More often than not, one person is responsible for an accident, driving under the influence, speeding, running a red light, and more. Based on your post, the insurance company can deny the claim. I have never had anyone tell me from first hand experience this is true.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
rogerwaters wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new truck and camper and wanted to run my specific combo by the community as a sanity check before committing to such a large purchase.

The camper is a new Lance 1172 with most options and I'm looking to put it onto a new Ford regular cab dually with diesel engine. If I can't afford the weight of the diesel, which I do prefer as an engine, then I'll go with the gasser which will do the job just fine as well.

The cargo capacity door jam sticker on the truck that I'm looking at is 6390 lbs. and I've estimated my total payload to be 6280 lbs. leaving only ~110 lbs. of buffer. Now I know that these trucks can handle weight above the specified limits, but I'm one of those guys that doesn't want to be even one pound over these limits - not passing judgement on anyone who sees it otherwise.

To me, this is a decision of whether or not I can afford the weight of the diesel. A big consideration is that I will be launching a boat in the shoulder season where the ramps can get quite slippery. The weight of the diesel would ensure great traction on the front tires when pulling the boat out. Therefore, even if I end up going with the gasser, I am considering sticking with the regular cab in order to shift as much as weight as possible towards the front tires - does that make sense or will the regular cab vs supercab result in very little difference of weight on the front tires?

I'm looking for feedback from the community on this combo and how I am planning on using it. Additionally, and maybe I'm just being paranoid here, but if end up with the diesel, is there any chance that I might end up with too much weight on the front axle?

Base Camper (dry) = 3923
Options = 400
Water (60 gallon) = 500
LPG = 60
Extra Drinking Water = 40
Torklift Talon Tie-down (front) = 30
Torklift Talon Tie-down (rear) = 18
Torklift Locking Guns = 5
Torklift SuperHitch Magnum = 105
Torklift SuperTruss 48" = 83
Torklift Ball & Mount = 10
Torklift Wire Harness = 2
Torklift Stable Loads = 9
Timbrens = 6
Rubber Mat = 48
Rock Tamers = 35
Boat Tongue Weight = 475
Clothes + Personal Effects = 100
Kitchenware = 100
Food = 80
Driver Extra = 50
Passenger = 200
-----------------------------------------------------
Total Payload = 6279
Truck Payload Capacity = 6390
Excess Truck Payload Capacity = 111

Thanks I look forward to the feedback!

mike

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rogerwaters wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

By the numbers, by the numbers period!

Maybe it's different up here in Canada with insurance rules. I've read my insurance agreement in full detail and have read the same for a handful of other insurers available in my area and those policies all say the same thing very clearly... is it different in other areas of the world?

Back to my original point then, if absolute compliance with the gvw limit is required for you. Either personally or as a regulatory requirement then your only real question is how does each truck handle a slippery boat ramp.
If it is really that critical then figure out how to shed some more weight. Smaller camper, bigger truck, aluminum flatbed, load a bunch of stuff in the boat, etc.

Or just put some F550 badges on the side!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've heard the rumors that an insurance company "could" deny your claim, but nobody actually has been able to cite an instance of it happening with a TC.

I'm pretty sure cars with very large people are over their GVWR. I don't know of them having a claim denied either. Maybe someone can post a link. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
rogerwaters wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

By the numbers, by the numbers period!

Maybe it's different up here in Canada with insurance rules. I've read my insurance agreement in full detail and have read the same for a handful of other insurers available in my area and those policies all say the same thing very clearly... is it different in other areas of the world?

That is for you to decide. From what I e learned if you cause an accident and deemed at fault and given a ticket for being over weight as the source of that accident, yes insurance can deny the claim. I have asked this question and have only seen this done in extreme cases, i.e. The Toyota pickup hauling three tons of rock and had a tire blow out killing people.

Again your choice. I can find almost every truck on the road pulling or carrying and RV to be over sticker weight (here in the US) with the occational exception. Watch the dune folks hit the highway...with a lifted truck on 37's, F250 pulling a 42' toyhauler. Not saying it is right but a lift kit, your aftermarket wheels/tires, bad choice can all put you into "outside" your policy in a bad situation.

Just my two cents.

rogerwaters
Explorer
Explorer
sonuvabug wrote:
What about the weight of fuel (8.5 lbs. per imp. gallon for diesel, 7.3 lbs. per imp. gallon for gasoline)? Didn't see a separate line entry for fuel unless you already factored it in somewhere else.

Darn good question/point. The payload capacity numbers that I'm getting are from the door-jam sticker. I was under the impression that this included a full tank of gas/diesel and a 150lbs driver. I will call my dealer to confirm.

sonuvabug wrote:
If you haven't already installed them, look at Sumo Springs as an alternative to the Timbrens. I did a ton of research when looking to address my "rear end" issues and I went with Sumo's.

I have not even purchased them yet, so will definitely research Sumos... thanks for that!

sonuvabug wrote:
resale on a regular cab will likely be less than with a SuperCab.

Agreed...

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Much has been covered already. What about the weight of fuel (8.5 lbs. per imp. gallon for diesel, 7.3 lbs. per imp. gallon for gasoline)? Didn't see a separate line entry for fuel unless you already factored it in somewhere else.

If you haven't already installed them, look at Sumo Springs as an alternative to the Timbrens. I did a ton of research when looking to address my "rear end" issues and I went with Sumo's.

Also, your resale on a regular cab will likely be less than with a SuperCab.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs