cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice from Ford owners needed.

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I was getting everything I needed when I bought our dually. It's a 2001 F350 4x4 dually. Lifted, Bilstein nitrogen racing shocks, air bags, front and rear anti-sway bars. I just bought a Host camper and I'm swaying side to side and a good bounce in dips in the road. There are no overload springs on this truck just the air bags. My first thought is to switch to Rancho 9000XL's. The guy at ORW says they're **** and wanted to sell be another adjustable brand at $300 a pop. I had really good results with them on my F250. Anyone with a similar truck set up care to offer up some sage advice. Please!
Thanks in advance.
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!
35 REPLIES 35

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are the air bags separate or tied together? One fill valve or two? If you have one fill valve and a "Y" hose going to both bags, it will sway badly.

Also, another vote for losing the lift.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
HMS Beagle wrote:
On my Ranchos, I don't change the front loaded or unloaded. The mass on the front doesn't change.

Correct, the mass doesn't change, but the use did.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
On my Ranchos, I don't change the front loaded or unloaded. The mass on the front doesn't change. On the back I will set it at 1 or 2 empty and 9 with the camper loaded.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
With Rancho adjustables, they are kind of stiff on max setting. For my SRW, I used 6 front 9 rear loaded, 3 front 1 rear unloaded. I also lowered the tire pressure all around unloaded.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up for anyone interested in the outcome. I listened to all your comments, thought about safety issues and decided I couldn't afford not to spend the money. Lift gone. Took my truck to North County Springs and Tony pointed out several flaws in the lift job. It cost even more than I thought but he assures me the ride will be much safer. The ride home was like being in a paint mixer when I hit the 52 so I'll crawl under the truck and see what they set the Rancho's at. The camper goes on tomorrow so we'll see then what the ride is like. Thanks for all your input.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
1handyhubby wrote:
Sorry, forgot about the lifted question. Block. And the reason I'm changing shocks, besides that I was told they weren't designed for weight, is that I had ORW charge them up and was told the front left needs to be rebuilt to the tune of $189 and now the left rear looks like it is starting to leak. The camper will be on the truck 90% of the time so I don't mind a stiff ride so I'll be looking at overloads and stabilizers. Thanks for the input.

I used Mac Springs, adding 2 in the stack and an extra overload leaf. I'm sure that they could do a overload set up for your truck.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BigToe wrote:
Horse thirsty.
Horse brought to water.
Horse didn't drink.
Horse still thirsty.

Several respondents already advised removing the lift kit.

Just sayin.

Maybe you didn't read where he said his wallet was wearing thin right now, didn't have the stock parts and it wasn't in the cards for him right now......jus sayin
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Horse thirsty.
Horse brought to water.
Horse didn't drink.
Horse still thirsty.

Several respondents already advised removing the lift kit.

Just sayin.

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
But 4600s aren't made for lifted trucks so it's a moot point.

The point was that Bilsteins are made for heavy loads if you get the right model.

BTW, you can edit existing messages. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Correct, but any of the extended length Bil shocks I've seen are made for off road. Good hi sped damping, poor low speed damping.

Seeing how Bilstein only lists Rebound and Compression force, how are you defining low and high speed damping?

OP, bags alone will make you sway regardless of a lift. I'd lower it, get some upper overloads, lower Stableloads, and the fattest swaybar you can fit in there (Hellwig is nice). That'll take care of it.

Or, maybe the best option, is to lower it, oder a custom spring pack from National/Deaver/Etc for your load. And still get a big 'ol sway bar. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
What kind of shocks are they? You may be able to find a much better deal to rebuild them. Also since they're rebuild able you can likely get them re valved for your use. You may have better shocks than all of us put together!
If you have blocks then you probably have the original leafs. Could it be as simple as getting a new overload? Did they remove the spring perches for the overloads?

How much lift? It's not quite as easy as finding some new front springs if you have a full suspension lift over like 3-4". Several different front end parts are made for the lift. Pitman and idler arm, say bar end links on both axles. May have extended brake lines now. Plus it's a project to swap yourself or spend even more $ to have. A shop do it.

Time to see a couple pics of your monster truck!
A shot of how the rear is set up with the bags would be helpful to help you make sure you're getting the right gear.
Good luck with your new found project!

Solid axle trucks don't have idler arms. Unless you mean a drag link...I've heard people call them that before, don't know why but idler arms are on IFS trucks.

Grit has a point it can be more parts, OP has stated he is on stock size tires so if it is some 6-8" lift (doubt it, how could he even get a TC on it?) I wonder if the truck has more than a 2-" lift. You can stuff 35" tires under those stock..

PICS are needed.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What kind of shocks are they? You may be able to find a much better deal to rebuild them. Also since they're rebuild able you can likely get them re valved for your use. You may have better shocks than all of us put together!
If you have blocks then you probably have the original leafs. Could it be as simple as getting a new overload? Did they remove the spring perches for the overloads?

How much lift? It's not quite as easy as finding some new front springs if you have a full suspension lift over like 3-4". Several different front end parts are made for the lift. Pitman and idler arm, say bar end links on both axles. May have extended brake lines now. Plus it's a project to swap yourself or spend even more $ to have. A shop do it.

Time to see a couple pics of your monster truck!
A shot of how the rear is set up with the bags would be helpful to help you make sure you're getting the right gear.
Good luck with your new found project!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
But 4600s aren't made for lifted trucks so it's a moot point.

The point was that Bilsteins are made for heavy loads if you get the right model.

BTW, you can edit existing messages. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Correct, but any of the extended length Bil shocks I've seen are made for off road. Good hi sped damping, poor low speed damping.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
If your buying new shocks....take out the rear blocks (free) and buy some stock front leaf's from the junk yard or....put a trade ad on craigslist. Some kid will be happy as heck to trade his stock stuff for your lift. It can be done free.

I'm a big fan of the way lifted trucks look....but when you use them like trucks, lift kits suck. My neighbor with his 8" lift and 37" tires is finding this out. He bought a huge 38' toyhauler, flipped the axles and took off. Came back saying it was one scary ride. Duh....
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, forgot about the lifted question. Block. And the reason I'm changing shocks, besides that I was told they weren't designed for weight, is that I had ORW charge them up and was told the front left needs to be rebuilt to the tune of $189 and now the left rear looks like it is starting to leak. The camper will be on the truck 90% of the time so I don't mind a stiff ride so I'll be looking at overloads and stabilizers. Thanks for the input.