cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on buying a new travel trailer on a budget?

Scotty092278
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I'm a young husband and father of two in Idaho. A little over a year ago, my family and I spent a small amount of money on a 1971 Road Ranger 16 ft. travel trailer. It was simply a way to dip our toes into trailer camping without breaking the bank. (We spent considerable time going through the trailer and giving it a good "refresh" with things like new brakes, tires, wiring, floor, wheel bearings, etc. To date, we've invested only about $1800.)

After trips around Idaho and to Yellowstone last year, it's become clear this is something my family and I really enjoy and are now willing to invest more resources in it. The idea of having a brand new trailer that no one else has stayed in, along with some of the more modern creature comforts, appeals to us. We're blessed with moderate income to be able to consider this upgrade.

But I admit to being very new to the game and therefore very green on the RV buying process. We are fortunate to have numerous dealers in our area. They range from the smaller family operations to the giant, national companies.

That said, what should we be on the lookout for? Are there brands to stay away from? We're willing to camp this season again in our current trailer if getting the best deal means waiting till fall or winter. We're looking at $13K or less, most likely. And based on the layout of our property, it needs to be 18 ft. or shorter. There are four people in our family.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'd love to hear what lessons you all have learned in this arena over the years. Thank you very much.
29 REPLIES 29

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
$13k budget on a new TT in 2017? Humm...

I paid around that for my little 22' TT back in 2002 and it was a brand new 2003 model year.. (that was the "out the door" price too..)

I've not seen anything under $20k brand new these days?? That's even those little R-Pod things.. Guess that's why I still have that old 2003 TT to this day!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
YOU SAID you want for the warrenty ,, it ain,t worth the paper thee written on, do some home work and find that used rv it,ll be better than a new one. read some of the stories on here about warrenty work rv,s sit for months for a one hour job that they don,t fix right.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, you said you want it to last several years without needing I assume costly or major attention issues/repairs. That's certainly possible with a small sized trailer of 18' but that small sized 18' trailer will always be the same size in one year or in five years however your kids won't. Nor will the toys, their clothes etc, or the amount of food needed to be taken as you'll be in a larger refrigerator needed normally, larger freshwater and holding tanks needed, more floor space needed, etc and it never gets smaller or lesser needed as long as the 4 of you alone are using the TT.

What if your kids, as usually happens, wants to have a friend go camping with them too? The issues just keep on adding as the family gets older and more active inside the trailer as there will always be days it rains all day, gets windy or blowing the rain as you'll need the awning up, or it turns cold or both and you'll all be inside for shelter and heat.

$13K for an adequate new TT for a growing family of 4 that will be reasonable quality to last many years with likely no costly repairs needed mat not be possible. Then the normal things like new tires needed which will happen as the tires on new RV's are almost all the cheapest barely adequate when new is what you'll almost always find. That's about a $500 cost in todays prices alone. Just an example.

You have that capability of towing 8,000 lbs per your post words. Subtract the 4 family members weight and anything like bikes or other thing that will sneak into the mix, around 500 to 1000 lbs for personal items, food-canned or bottled items at 8 lbs/gal, tools, water in tank & water heater (8lbs/gal, propane and batteries which are not light and not included in the TT's dry weight, any other cargo taken. You no longer have 8,000 lbs for the TT itself. Likely down to around 6,000 or less max.

This still allows you to safely pull many 22' to 26' TT models for many years but not likely to find any new ones for $13K. A slide out will sure be a blessing and very important for resale value too. Your future years of camping will sure teach you!

Maybe some additional considering and thinking including the coming future needs to be done. Yes, there will be some movement required on the $13k max or TT size or used VS new, etc, or some combo's thereof. Etched in stone may likely be a very bad thinking with unpleasant results. Smart to juggle some of the fore though parameters set to actually get the best bang for the buck in fun and experiences in life's reality you'll live. Today will be gone tomorrow as will next year on Jan 1 the following year but you and your family will still be aging and can never go back.

We sure have learned a lot about RV'ing, quality, size needed, and being cost effective in our 52 years of RV'ing not only for today but for the future years needs from today as it all changes and you will see and experience this lesson too. Tomorrow comes real quick and finding your having been lost behind in past years can really ruin your present day experiences.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Many have made the, "This is brand new, I don't need to worry about leaks." mistake. Regardless of new or used, check and seal the roof edges and around all siding openings (doors, windows, lights, etc.). It seems like a lot, but a bit of preventive maintenance up front is so much easier than repairing the leaks and resulting damage down the road. That applies to the electrical, plumbing, wheel bearings, etc. Go through it thoroughly the first time. Then you can use it for that sought after relaxing.

Mine is a 19 foot box on a 24 foot frame hitch to bumper. Plenty of room for sleeping but no room for moving around inside for 2 adults, 2 kids, and one dog. The cook has to step aside for anybody to use the restroom. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

On edit: I wanted to include that I paid $10k for mine brand new with all the basic amenities inlcuded. That was in 2004. I haven't priced these kind of units since.

Good luck shopping!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
A few days ago I was at my local dealership and I'm always looking at the new camper. When leaving, these caught my attention. They are Keystone Summerland Mini's.

Here's a link to the Keystone Web site for them. These might be right up your alley!

Keystone Summerland web site. Scroll down, look at the floor plans.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
New vs used......

A couple year old used rig is better deal.

Warranty issues have been dealt with......previous owners got the pleasure of not being able to used new trailer while it sat at dealers lot awaiting warranty repairs.
Major depreciating affect has already occurred ----better deal for you.

And after 2 yrs warranty is over so any issues are owners ----whether it is original owner or you.
ALL RVs require some kind of attention.....for as long as you own it.

Used....couple year old. Best deal---especially for limited budget.

NEW....yes it smells new and you get to use it first.
But that is really over rated.
Warranty issues...forget about being able to use it----warranty work takes forever, one reason most new owners just say the heck with it and do their own repairs.

USED!-----and that means slightly bigger/better unit due to lower pricing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spend your money on a used Northwood Mfg product. Nothing like going quality vs new.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
18 feet maxmm and four people, oh my. My TT is 22 feet...26 with bumper and tongue...and there hasn't been a campsite I couldnt get into with ease. Additionally the smaller TTs generally have small water tanks and one propane bottle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Scotty092278
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. I agree on the value of a used unit but we're interested in a warranty and something that shouldn't need a lot of attention for several years. We may end up with used, but our search now is focused on new.

We're good on tow capacity up to 8,000 lbs. So far, nothing I've seen in this price range/length comes close to that.

This is one, a Keystone HIdeout 175LHS, that fits our criteria. I've seen several Keystone models that would seem to work. Buying at an entry level price, we're obviously not expecting the very best. But I don't want to end up with junk, either. Are there any prevailing thoughts on Keystone? Thanks again!

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Imperial-RV-Center-2968308/listing/2017-Keystone-Rv-Hideout-175LHS-120011523

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with buying a nice, used unit. You will get more bang for your buck.

Before you buy anything, make sure your tow vehicle has the capacity to pull the TT and your family/cargo.

Ask lots of questions on the forum before you sign any agreements or give the seller any money.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If it HAS TO BE new, try to find a "last years model". Always the best bang for the buck.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
U and I RV in Logan is listing a KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH for a hair under $13K. That is a bit too long for your requirements, but you could ask them about ordering you a 150BH (and it might be less money, since it's shorter). I had a 14RB for about 3 years and it was decent. None of the trailers at that price point are anything great quality-wise, but they are serviceable as long as you keep them maintained, including a roof inspection every year.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your still very new to this and a growing family .look for a great used unit. buying new you,ll loose 5k right as you drive it of the dealers lot, a good used rv is not hard to find might be some right on your street . very very important check the ceiling for water marks if it has one RUN ,be very patient and the right one will show up.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
A quick search to keep it under 18ft found this Keystone Passport 145EXP. Link
It's a hybrid that has canvas beds on both ends. Might be able to get it under $13,000.00, maybe not.
Maybe Jayco has something similar.
The 18ft max and $13K you put on it is severely limiting your choices. I bought 3 years used and for my 33ft Bullet I was able to stay under $13K.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would go to a RV show so you can see many models at once. Then make a list of the things you must have and things you just want.
For instance, we wanted a walk around bed and to be under 28'.
Once you have your requirements it will narrow the field down some.