cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AF 1140 Dry Weight

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
I found two different dry weights for this camper. I found 4,060 lbs. on the Trailer Camper Magazine site and 3,465 lbs. on the AF site. Both sites mention adding the mandatory 595 lb. option package to the dry weight.

I'm wondering if maybe TC Mag had already added the option package to their dry weight.Does anyone know which to be correct? Am I missing something?

TC Mag.

Arctic Fox

Thanks,
Riley
2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package
31 REPLIES 31

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2000 AC 1150, loaded it was 4200#'s so YRMV
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And you literally have a truck that will haul that camper with ease, in absolute comfort.
And no you wonโ€™t be over 6klbs guaranteed unless you want to be (but the truck would still be fine with it).
You read these posts. Rock collections?? Really? And obviously enough rocks either in the camper or their heads to add significantly to the rolling weight of their rig!
Whether actual or metaphorical rock collections, Iโ€™ve packed enough stuff into our truck/camper for a family of 4 to live comfortably for a month on the road and boondocking and couldnโ€™t possibly come up with the weight some are carrying.
And Iโ€™m talking generator, enough โ€œbeerโ€ for us and several others if the situation called for. Fishing gear, tools, bottle jack, bbq, extra 50gal of water, separate camping gear to get the kids out of the camper, and a wife who brings a full suitcase for a weekend trip.

Donโ€™t let some of these stories on rvnet scare you. Thereโ€™s one in every crowd and more than a few here, lol.
I did get my payload up over 5k Iโ€™m sure on one trip, but we were moving to AK and camping our way up there and brought a bunch of stuff that we needed until the moving company showed up which was almost a month out. That included a trailer with mower and household goods, liquids/flammables that couldnโ€™t be put on the ship, pets, etc.
Also on a 2007 Ram 2500..... and the sway bar I ordered didnโ€™t show up before we left!
Could of used that!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I better start looking for something a little lighter. Based on what I've read it doesn't look like there's any way I will be under 6K. I really liked this camper.

These weights must be why I see so many of last years bigger campers still on dealers lots. And of course the sales clown will tell you with a dually you can carry anything out there no problem.

Thanks,
Rick

2019 Ram 3500 CC/LB DRW 4WD air ride
CTD HO Aisin
4WD 4:10 5200 lbs. Payload

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A new dually will handle it fine, except the weight cops will say otherwise.
And yes it will be well over 5klbs ready to camp.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Riley01 wrote:
I found two different dry weights for this camper. I found 4,060 lbs. on the Trailer Camper Magazine site and 3,465 lbs. on the AF site. Both sites mention adding the mandatory 595 lb. option package to the dry weight.

I'm wondering if maybe TC Mag had already added the option package to their dry weight.Does anyone know which to be correct? Am I missing something?

TC Mag.

Arctic Fox

Thanks,
Riley

If you do some research,you will find TC magazine weights are pretty darn close to actual weights,some with the option,others not...

By asking here your getting different weights because everyone camps and packs differently..If your pack'in chains/generator/iron skillets and a bunch of extra's,your going to be heavier by alot,if you pack just the basics,your going to be much lighter and we all pack differently..

TC mag is pretty spot on on there weights..Example AF-990..TC mag list it as 4791 wet..many here say they are 4800# ready to camp with the AF-990..Options and what you pack will make a small difference in most cases..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from Alaska, I scaled my old Fleetwood at 6500 lb, when dry it was 4300 lb.
You can't imagine how couple boxes of Alaskan beer and collection of rocks can add to total weight. ๐Ÿ˜‰
My F350 handles that just fine, but I observe putting the heaviest stuff in truck cabin.

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Wow 5400-6080 lbs? That's a lot of weight. On top of that I need to figure 125 +/- for my small enclosed MC trailer. I thought with my dually it wouldn't be a problem but my payload is listed at 5200 lbs.

I bought the truck originally thinking I was going to pull a 5ver toy hauler and have since changed my mind. I never would have thought this wasn't enough truck for a bigger TC.

2019 Ram 3500 CC/LB DRW 4WD air ride
CTD HO Aisin
4WD 4:10 5200 lbs. Payload

Thanks,
Rick

jimd1050
Explorer
Explorer
av8rds wrote:
My buddy on the AF owners group on FB says his 2019 1140 is 6000lbs loaded for travel.

That's me - CAT Scale Tickets gave me 15,600 loaded and 9520 with the camper off, loaded for camping with a full tank of fresh water! That's 6080! My 2019 F-450 dooes handle it like it isn't even there, however!
Regards,

Jim D
Plainville, MA

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're asking what accounts for the discrepancy, it's probably Arctic Fox de-exaggerating the camper weight for purposes of sales.

The true weight of any AF 1140 camper out-the-factory-door is over 4,000 lbs.
If I recall correctly, MY 1140 weight 4,440 pounds wet - no gear.
I sold it due to it's weight and idiotic (my opinion) design features.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you buy a modern dually truck you will be able to handle the camper. If you are trying to get away with a SRW truck then you can't handle it. The actual weight varying a few hundred pounds won't change that reality.

As for why? With a TC and the right truck you can basically have a small, 4wd, diesel powered motor home with an incredible tow rating. You can tow a 8,000 pound boat to the lake, set up your camper, then take the truck out from under it to launch and retrieve the boat. Name another RV that can do all that.
And, if you already need to own a truck for other purposes a TC is much cheaper than a MH.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this TC does not top out at 5500 pounds or more I would be surprised. The size of some truck campers is just amazing to me. Personally I would think twice. Sure you can always get a beefed up 450 or 550 dualie that will handle the load but why? I would certainly never consider taking this off road except for a short distance on a highly improved dirt or gravel road.

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy on the AF owners group on FB says his 2019 1140 is 6000lbs loaded for travel.
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Our AF990 weighs 4,800+ with water, ready to go. So that 1140 going to be 5,000+.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Last page of their brochure kind of explains it, also list added weights
https://northwoodmfg.com/af-camper-brochure
Dry weight- with standard features before ANY options, including mandatory 'value' package, which TCM lists, as that is the only way can be ordered. (which IMO if you can only order with included value package should be listed as the base/dry weight, 3,465 +595 =4065#. Then add options (TV, solar etc), then add wet weight (water, propane)- then all personal items (food, clothes, pots, utensils etc).
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Out 1140 was 5,400lbs ready to camp.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP