cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Age of travel trailer

crittersitter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all! We are finally getting ready to buy a TT. Hubby and I along with our 3 dogs and 2 cats are moving cross country next spring. We are retiring and already have a place waiting for us in Arizona. My question is how old a travel trailer is safe to purchase? With all the other expenses on our plate we don't have a lot to put in to the trailer. We will be using it 5 days for the trip and on occasion in AZ if we decide we like it. Can we find anything in the 3-5K range that would work? I've seen a couple of late 80's models Terry's in that range? Also, we are looking to buy an Expedition with the bigger v8 and towing package as our single vehicle. Any suggestions on sizes TT? Would love a slide but in this low of a price range I doubt that'll happen. Thanks for your input!
15 REPLIES 15

flintshooter
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a FEMA TT (I know "shudder")from a dealer two years ago. It's a 2006 and while not the prettiest thing, we've only had to replace the tires and battery. Everything else works fine. We paid 6500.00 and figure to keep it 2 more years and then get something newer. Good deals can be found but, like they said above, be careful and check everything out.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $ 3500 for my 2000 mallard 24 ftand put 7000 miles on it , with a few minor problems , sold it to a young couple for $3000 who use it every other weekend . They are out there . It isnt age its condition

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
boosTT wrote:
You can find nice, working trailers for $3k-5k, but they are NOT easy to find. If it has a leaking roof, window, seam, light, ac unit, the wood rots and the unit is basically junk. Think about what you get for a car that you can buy used for 20% of the new MSRP... its a gamble.

Concider renting, using hotels, renting a cabin.

Finding a good TT in that price range really isn't that hard, it just takes some looking. Best value will be from a private party but a reputable dealer might know more about the true condition of the unit.

As for cars, a used car is only as good as it's last owner. Once I got over the "it has to be new to be any good" part of my life I learned that what you pay has little to do with the quality.

And also, if you find one you really like, Camping World and several other dealers offer a multi-point inspection. You can have it checked out by a professional before you buy.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I think for $5k you can find a decent TT in good condition with everything working but it will take some serious searching. The last one I sold was $5k and was a very nice mid size TT. Having that many animals in one for 5 straight days may not be pleasant. Good luck with the search.

X2. I agree, condition is what's important, not age. My TT is a 1989 and I have no plans to replace it.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think for $5k you can find a decent TT in good condition with everything working but it will take some serious searching. The last one I sold was $5k and was a very nice mid size TT. Having that many animals in one for 5 straight days may not be pleasant. Good luck with the search.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
1993 Catalina...$4,995

I think you'll find what you are looking for...here is a nice one!
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

EldIr
Explorer
Explorer
boosTT wrote:
You can find nice, working trailers for $3k-5k, but they are NOT easy to find. If it has a leaking roof, window, seam, light, ac unit, the wood rots and the unit is basically junk. Think about what you get for a car that you can buy used for 20% of the new MSRP... its a gamble.

Saying that a trailer is junk because it might have some soft wood somewhere is like saying your used car example is junk because it has rust around the wheel wells or rockers. That's a gross exaggeration. Many, many people have trailers that had leaks, got some soft spots, fixed the leak and continued to happily use the camper for years to come.

Given the economy, there are lots of good used trailers on the market in that price range. It's a disservice to the op to try to scare them out of at least looking for something they like. It seems quite apparent they have assessed their personal situation and want to buy a trailer.
'01 Burb 2500 4x4 496/4.10 (3.73 effective w/ new tires)
'94 Jayco 300BH

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer

crittersitter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I think we will buy something. We would be hard pressed to find hotels with all our animals and of course there's the bed bug scare. Also, besides the home we own in AZ we own an acre of remote land that is out of the forest fire area which we would want to bug out to in the event that the smoke is heavy in the mountains where we will be living. In fact it might be fun to boon dock out there on weekends for a change of pace. Just trying to decide if we can afford something decent since we can't justify buying an expensive new one at this point. We could always upgrade later if we wanted...

Habemus_Quattro
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Consider long days of driving and motels for this trip.

I agree with this, especially since you said, "if we decide we like it." That's a pretty big caveat. If you end up with a high maintenance trailer, you most likely won't like it.

Perhaps you could consider staying at campgrounds with cabins (like KOA) or on-site RV rental units for the trip, and then renting an RV once or twice once you are settled in Arizona. Renting will give you a good idea of what RVing is like, and you won't have the headaches of storage and maintenance.

EldIr
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends how mechanically inclined you are. I bought my Jayco within your budget including the wdh and it was in excellent cosmetic condition (a big reason why I picked this one). That said, it needed a lot of little things done to make it ready. Other than new tires, none of it was expensive, but many of the issues might catch out someone who might not have a lot of "fix-it" experience.

A prime example was a leak around the air conditioner. The clueless previous owners had gooped up all around the unit with everything from latex caulk to silicone to expanding foam(!). Fortunately, it was stored indoors so there had been very little actual water intrusion. All that was required to fix this was to remove all the cr*p they tried, verify that the gasket was good and properly tighten the unit down. No more leak.

It had a brand new battery, but nothing worked. Fuseholder at the battery was corroded. Easy fix.

Toilet had been disconnected because it leaked. Replaced the valve for less than 20 bucks.

And so on. I do all my own work (including mounting the new tires) so none of these issues were a big deal or costly. I now own a fully functioning, large, comfortable trailer that most people who see it don't believe it's a '94. (Maybe someday I'll post some pics, but I'd have to wash it first;))
'01 Burb 2500 4x4 496/4.10 (3.73 effective w/ new tires)
'94 Jayco 300BH

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
For just a 5 day trip and "maybe" occasional use later, and with a, "$3-5K range," I wouldn't go with an RV. You will have a hard time finding anything that is even serviceable for that price.
Anything that inexpensive will need lots of work (tires, etc) to make it safe and useability is another issue (electrical and plumbing issues). Also, pulling a travel trailer will double your fuel usage

Consider long days of driving and motels for this trip.

Maybe others will give you a different perspective on your plan.
Good luck with your move.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Age is really unimportant. What you want to look at is condition. Is there any signs of water leaks? How about tires? Do all the appliances work? In that price range these are going to be the biggest dangers. Even if the tires look good, you will probably want to replqce them based on age and brand.

Consider a tent trailer. They can be found on craigslist and other places pretty cheap, can be towed by most any vehicle are light and very easy to resell at the end of the move.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
There are some basic safety items you should make sure are in place before you buy.

1. Make sure there is no rust on the frame that would weaken the structure
2. What kind of shape are the tires in? If they are old, worn badly or have sidewall cracks, you'll probably have to invest in a new set before towing.
3. Make sure the hitch and all the mechanisms that go with it are in sound shape.
4. Can you have someone pull the wheels and check the brakes for wear and proper function?
5. Do the holding tanks leak? Do the holding tank valves work properly?
6. Check the roof and interior ceiling for any sign of leaks.
7. Verify that the refrigerator is in working order.
8. Check the furnace, A/C and Stove to make sure they work.
9. Does the previous owner have a maintenance history?
10. Fill the water tank, and turn on the pump. Does it come up to pressure? Do all the faucets work?
11. Pull out the awning and check for excessive wear on the fabric and make sure that the hardware moves freely and is in sound shape.
12. Make sure there are no leaks in the propane system.
13. What kind of shape are the batteries in?
14. Make sure the smoke alarm, propane detector and carbon monoxide (if equipped) detectors are working.

I'm sure others will have items that you should check, but those are the basics. If something needs repair or replacement, it will be a good negotiating point.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)