cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air in Water Lines

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advise on ways to find an air leak in fresh water lines. One dealer replaced the pump filter which didn't help. Another replaced the pump which also didn't help and they put my original one back in.

Somehow I need to pressurize the system and search for leaks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color
11 REPLIES 11

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
"A minute or so?" The pump shouldn't run for more than a couple of seconds after you shut off the water.

If you don't have a puddle on the floor of your camper, or it isn't running out from under the truck, this behavior supports a suction-side issue. It can't get water to build up pressure so it's running extra-long.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeVita wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
Can you back up a bit and explain the air in your water line? Usually water leaks out of a leaky water line, not air leaking in.

When I turn on a faucet water flows for a few seconds then a combination of air and water. The pump continues to run after shut off for a minute or so with a normal pumping sound then just a low whining sound which continues. If I shut off the water pump for a while then turn it back on nothing happens for a while thenb the whining sound comes on spontaneously.

I was told by Lance Service to pressurize the system by attaching a hose from house water to the camper and search for any sign of leaking water which would suggest where the air leak is occurring. That is not easy to do in a camper.

I appreciate all the advise and will start in the morning to try some of the suggestions.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm with others suggesting air is entering the lines on the input side of your pump. Any leaks on the output side would result in water leaking out of the lines, not air leaking in.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Can you back up a bit and explain the air in your water line? Usually water leaks out of a leaky water line, not air leaking in.

When I turn on a faucet water flows for a few seconds then a combination of air and water. The pump continues to run after shut off for a minute or so with a normal pumping sound then just a low whining sound which continues. If I shut off the water pump for a while then turn it back on nothing happens for a while thenb the whining sound comes on spontaneously.

I was told by Lance Service to pressurize the system by attaching a hose from house water to the camper and search for any sign of leaking water which would suggest where the air leak is occurring. That is not easy to do in a camper.

I appreciate all the advise and will start in the morning to try some of the suggestions.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, the leak is on the suction side. You should find a better mechanic but for this you should be able to do it yourself.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've wrestled this issue only once and my problem was the pressure relief valve on the HWH.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Air being sucked into the water system means the leak is on the suction (inlet) side of the pump. Most likely culprit is fitting on outlet of tank. Often, a bit of water will be trapped there when the system is winterized. It then freezes and fractures the fitting.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air enters from suction side on pump...water leaks out from discharge side of pump

So check every fitting/hose/valve/pump casing on suction side of pump
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is probably between the tank and the pump on the suction side.
Does your rig have an anti-freeze suction valve? This is a three way valve that allows you to suck anti-freeze from a jug. Valve may not be completely in the operate position allowing air into system.
Next is to look or feel along the line from the tank. Normally it would be at a connection. Some times there could have been a screw into the line during construction.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My advice would be to look for a water leak.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Usually it's the line( hose )from the water tank to the pump . Check the fittings/clamps first . If not that the hose itself may be porous or have cracked ends . Sometimes you can just cut the ends off and re-clamp .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed