cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Expy question

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
I learned a great deal about my big families payload issues last year from this forum, and we never bought a TV. (3 teens, 3 adults) We have decided that an Expy fits our needs the best as an everyday vehicle, and we may need to resign ourselves to the fact that it will tow a trailer with only the driver, and the family following in another vehicle. We typically camp within a few hours of our home so it's not a big deal.

There is an outstanding deal on a '14 Expy EL. Brand new only 39k. 4x4 with a heavy duty towing package. Says it includes this: Heavy-Duty Trailer-Tow Package (Heavy-Duty Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler, Heavy-Duty Radiator, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller).

1)Is that including everything what we need to tow?
2)It's such a great deal, but is it worth it to wait for the ecoboost engine in the '15? I see those as being at least 10k over this price. But is it worth it?

We do not own a TT yet. Will likely be on the smaller side, kids don't mind sleeping in tents. Mostly want the bathroom, running water, bed for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Would you snatch this up and use it as a TV?

Thanks!

updating info from Edmunds:
Horsepower
365 hp @ 5000 rpm ('15)
310 hp @ 5100 rpm ('14)

Torque
420 ft-lbs. @ 2500 rpm ('15)
365 ft-lbs. @ 3600 rpm ('14)
22 REPLIES 22

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a family of 6 you should really consider a full size van. Maybe go rent one for a weekend just to try one out. We were a family of 4 plus a good sized dog. We loved our full sized vans. Excellent visibility for everyone, and everyone had their own seat. Our kids are in their 30's now so we no longer have one. But if we ever see any grand kids and thought we needed it I wouldn't hesitate to get another. JMHO.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We weigh 1000 pounds just in bodies alone. We are a tall family, and that 3rd row in the expy is needed. The only other vehicle that fits my boys in the back is the '15 Suburban. (About 10k more than this expy) Any 3/4 ton I've ever found has around 150k miles. As an everyday family vehicle that's too much. I like the idea of better gas mileage in the '15 but the price on this expy is several thousand off in incentives so I'm probably breaking even on savings there. I guess I could wait until this time next year for incentives on the '15 but I'm not sure i have that much patience! Lol

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Why keeping my Big Block K3500 :B Sub till the wheels fall off...even then fix it
up and keep going...

Consider a full sized van. MPG won't be as good, but IMHO...towing safety and
towing performance on top of my 'have to have' list and MPG on on my 'nice to have' list...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
tim and amy wrote:
So if you take that bullet add the 1000# of gear, so 6485 total trailer weight, you still have and extra 2015# of capacity on your GCWR, that is more than enough safety net to take your family in your expy. and not make them follow in a car.

What about payload? That's too important to ignore.

Bruce

Still patiently waiting for a new 3/4 ton SUV...

I wish they would make a new 3/4 Ton SUV but even GM stopped making the 3/4 Sub/Yukon XL. Have you tried looking for a late model used 3/4T SUV? I know it took me a while to find mine and I am very pleased with it (even thoough it has high miles). For our family it couldn't be beat for payload and power (I just wish I could have a modern 6-speed matched to my 8.1L engine).
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
tim and amy wrote:
So if you take that bullet add the 1000# of gear, so 6485 total trailer weight, you still have and extra 2015# of capacity on your GCWR, that is more than enough safety net to take your family in your expy. and not make them follow in a car.

Bruce

Right on. 6 people and personal gear alone is at least 1,000 lbs.

Ford seems to call a version with 1,700lbs of payload.

If the trailer weights even 6k lbs, he is at payload without any other gear.

I own an Expy myself. It tows our 23 footer very nicely, but even with less people, we are right at the payload limit.

Still patiently waiting for a new 3/4 ton SUV...

HaveAGoodOne
Explorer
Explorer
With regards to waiting for the 15. If you dont need the extra hp and tourque the 5.4 is a good engine. Mpg would also be something to consider if you will use the car as a daily driver.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
tim and amy wrote:

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

tim_and_amy
Explorer
Explorer
The 2014 EL with HD tow package has a max loaded trailer spec of 8700#
NOTE: the vehicles GCWR is 15K pounds,

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14_Expedition_Sep11.pdf

FYI, you can get into a 28 foot quad bunk ultralite Bullet (287 qbs) that weighs 5485# dry. You can figure, by the time you put in all the stuff you need, add 1000# to that number.

On our Kodiak, with Four Teenagers, two adults and a dog, the trailer all stocked for a 2 week camping trip, with everything you can think of. Chairs, coolers etc, added exactly 1000# to our trailer.

2012 Kodiak 300BHSL Ultimate with Fall Edition Package
2003 Ford Excursion V10 Sold!!
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel