cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another roof question - best thing to strap items down with?

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Vic R's question today about using the camper roof for storage, combined with my planned Easter trip, has made me thing about the folding mountain bikes.

I don't have anywhere else to put them, so I strap them down on the roof.

I have roof rails I welded to the aluminum replacement roof I built - on one side these mount the solar panels, and the other side gives me a walkway or some storage space - it is on this other side I strap the bikes down:

I have been using small ratchet-straps. However, it is very easy to put a lot of tension on these, which could end up causing cracking on the welds of the roof rails, or ending up thinking they are tight, but having them move slightly in-transit and the straps go loose risking coming undone).

I wondered if strong bungee straps would be a better idea, since they would keep tension if stretched rather than go loose.

What does everyone think? Do others have solutions that work well?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
11 REPLIES 11

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Love seeing a Shadow Cruiser in use as we have a 1990 9.5 model. We don't normally carry my bike but when we do it fits into a receiver space on our rear receiver hitch cargo tray and we can still open the door on the camper. We modified the tray to add steps, lock the Honda 2000 generator onto, carry 5 gal. Gas and 6 gal. Water. The bottom step folds up when driving and so far no dragging issues. Folding chairs go on ladder at the back. No bike there so we can get in and out of the camper without dismantling stuff. The bike rack we bought would carry two bikes as easy as one but I stripped it down to one cause hubby won't bike. Same reason we have a one horse trailer, hubby won't ride horse either. Just hunt and fish and sight see. Whatever floats your boat, at least we still go.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I keep seeing the flat rubber truckers bungee cords on the highway. One here one a few kilometers down the road, and that makes me wonder what they were tying down and why they happen to be on the road.??? They have "S" hooks on either end, sometimes only one is there, but often both S hooks are still attached, so they aren't breaking the strap, they are just flying off.
As others have said keep using the ratchet straps or try the cam buckle straps that are popular with the canoe and kayak folks. Same nice wide nylon surface just pull tight and the cam holds the strap in place. You can tell how much pressure you are putting on the bikes.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
For things on the roof I have always used a rafting cargo net and pad to protect the roof. Never carried bikes up there.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Dacron line will prolly outlast most other stuff and should be secured with proper knots. We've found that bungee cords are most quickly damaged by solar radiation and thus are least dependable.

We frequently inspect the stuff on the roof, murphy's law prevails there!
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...K...found the paperwork.

The company is: Networks Enterprises Inc. They carry some very interesting load taming solutions (like ratcheting ropes {spring loaded snap hooks}); cinching rope locks; reinforced rubber gear grabber super clamps (this is the material I bought): 50 LBS working load, excellent for bikes, tools, shovels); aviation L tracks & fasteners & track fittings (could be interesting to fit to your aluminum roof for serious tying down of heavy gear); round and rectangular anchor plate for single stud tie down rings; Loc-Link E-straps (1000 LB working load); and they also make and ship some very serious UV-resistant cargo nets (cargo net the bike(s) to the roof, and lock the bike tubes down with 1 or 2 gear grabber super clamps) cargo nets: here-->

URL here-->
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo carrier out the back.
With added bike tire clamps if hauling with bike upright. Or if your TC extends too far out lay them down folded on the carrier. 50 bucks at Tractor Supply.

Tie Downs?
I threw out all my ratchet straps and bungees and now only use these for EVERYTHING that needs to be tied down on my RV.

They come in several different lengths. Bendable rubber coated wire won't scratch or dent what you are tying down AND they STAY tight.

Use them over and over again. Mine are over 6 years old and still holding tight the extension ladder on the back of my RV.

There isn't anything or any configuration I can't tie down with these!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
If it's legal in the U.K., weld a 2" square tube receiver hitch to the front bumper/winch platform and get a bike carrier for the front. I had some 2", thick wall square tube in my metal supply and bought a cheap carrier ($35US at Harbor Freight, aka China Freight), measured, drill 5/8" holes for the linch pin, welded it to the winch carrier with the Premier Power welder on my Jeep and we were off to the Mojave
Road. Quick and dirty. Just like I like it.
There are some bike carriers that go on the rear ladder of the TC (I see you have a ladder).
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are you wanting to strap the bikes on their sides? Your truck is not that tall. Set them up just like they were on top of a SUV, with a bike track. Take a bar and run it between your crossbars,perpendicular, and bolt it to the crossbars. They just mount the track to the bar and set the wheels in their on wheel holder. Bike teams do this all the time.

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Steve:

We visited a booth at last Fall's Overland Expo (in North Carolina) selling industrial and military-grade rubber fasteners, holders and securing straps of every conceivable size and shape. These things were used to secure items in/on/under helocopters, jets, MDTs, ambulences and expedition vehicles. We bought a huge quantity of items from them; I'll be installing some of these holders in our camper this summer. The rubber had stainless steel inserts embedded in them as reinforcement, for direct fastening to a roof, truck, boat, etc.

I'm looking for their catalog, and will get back to you on their Web contact info...

Cheers,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rubber pad between bikes and roof, will protect both the bikes and the roof. keep using the ratchets
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags