cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any regrets with a longer TT?

jimski3456
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering upgading from a 32 ft. TT to a 35 ft. TT. Our only concern is maneuverability at campgrounds, gas stations, etc. Has anyone regretted going to a 35 ft. or longer TT for these or other reasons?
35 REPLIES 35

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 24 to 33. Love the 33. love that it will sleep up to 9. I did have to upgrade the tuck. 1/2 ton with short bed was too short of a wheel base for my 33 footer (just in my opinion).

Frizlefrak
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 21' to a 30' with a slide 2 years ago and love it. Yes, it's slightly more cumbersome backing, but the trade off in extra space made up for it. Also has an outdoor kitchen which we love. We've encountered one State Park with a 30' limit, and it barely fit...but most places can accommodate it just fine. We tow it with a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, but for the first two years had a gas 1989 F250 that pulled it just fine.

I do suggest a 3/4 ton truck when you get into that size range, though a lot of modern half tons can be configured to tow it OK.

If you're wanting a larger trailer, go for it!

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Current HTT is 22.5' and TT on order(see signature) is 27.5'. I did not want to go 5' longer but after a long search for a TT model to meet our wants and needs, this was the best fit. Hopefully we have the same experience as most of the posts in this thread and it will be no big deal. Major concern is fitting in our favorite spots.
2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Our Eagle is 35' from tongue to bumper....coupled with the fact that our truck is a crew cab F350 with the long bed. Suffice it to say, we are long.

Honestly, it's never been an issue, but I am very aware of it and thinking of routes at gas stations, stores, food places, etc when we are driving.

I also plan ahead when it comes to campgrounds to make sure we have plenty of room to manuever.

No regrets here...we love our TT/TV combination.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion. And remember this is my opinion only. Any trailer over 30 feet and you should get a 5th wheel. I know, I know, they have there disadvantages but, they tow so much easier at those longer lengths and that makes it safer to tow too.

I love my 20 foot TT. I could see myself getting a 23 foot. I ; personally ; don't want to get longer then that. But, that's just me. To each his own.

Have a nice Day
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 26' to a 35' TT. At first, it was a little hard to get used to maneuvering, but now it's not a problem. I find that I do a lot of planning, like really looking at sites (length etc) and then along a route for gas stations etc. I get plenty from overhead maps (google earth etc). We have to be picky about sites, but so far it's worked fine. For us the benefits far outweigh the cons.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
As is clear in the previous posts, length has a lot to do with personal preference. We went from a 21' to a 35' trailer and from 37' to 53' in total length and would never go back. For us, however, we don't camp in many state parks where the length is an issue, and we travel together which means I have DW to help navigate tight spots when necessary.

That said, I agree with others who have pointed out that a shift from 32 to 35' is so minimal, relatively, that it can't imagine it making that much of a difference for you.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 34' Avion triple axle trailer and a 19-1/2' trailer with an Avion C-11 camper on it. The short trailer now gets all the use. It isn't as comfortable on the inside because everything is so condensed, but we can get it way back where we like to camp. Besides, we don't go to the wilderness to stay indoors. There has never been a gas station that I couldn't get the large trailer into. The problem is getting it to the wilderness. With long overhang and limited ground clearance it won't go where we want to go.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered a 21T Komfort a dozen years ago .
We started with a 16 ' Nomad , then a 26' slide Fleetwood , then a 36 foot motorhome .
We kept each of those less than 3 years .
A Komfort is a little taller and heavier ( diesel TV ) than most .
We have no desire to go bigger .
We are set up to cover longer trips on the go .
We seldom use an RV park .
We dry camp without hookups 90% .
I have been towing boats all of my life and don't mind that chore .
But the smaller trailer is just plain easier to tow , back up , gas up , maneuver into the last NPS spot at Zero-Dark- Thirty .
Plus it fits nicely into many roadside viewpoints for lunch or a nap .

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:
OP, you don't say what your TV is.

I thouht I read the OP towed with a van.

I missed that on the 2nd page. Thanks for the correction! ๐Ÿ˜ž

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, you don't say what your TV is.

I thouht I read the OP towed with a van.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, you don't say what your TV is. If you have a regular cab with short box, probably not much noticeable difference. But if you have or upgrade to an 8' box and super or crew cab, the extra TV wheelbase plus longer overall length could be a handful to get around corners. We have a supercab with long box plus a 29' TT and I have to be on top of things sometimes when entering and going through a corner correctly otherwise I can hit or go over a curb.

If just going to a longer TT, I can't see the extra 3' making much of a difference at all if camping at ordinary campgrounds. Back country dry camping might be another thing. At 32' now, I doubt you do much backing up other than into a standard site anyway. We once had to back about 1000' along a winding road to a site but that was with a 20' TT. I wouldn't want to try that at much more than 20'...

In any event, we like using walkie talkies for backing up. Makes it a lot easier to back up and no spousal wars, lol. We're thinking of adding a backup camera for the times I'm by myself.

Oh, and if you doing any trips on ferries, the extra length could make a difference. We got dinged an extra fare last summer for literally a few extra inches over the increment. Had I known, I would have taken the spare tire off beforehand. Now thinking of a spare tire carrier underneath. ๐Ÿ˜„

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping in the hills around here, smaller is better.RVing staying in parks or full timing, bigger is better.I have been up to 40 feet and down to a 13 ft and thought my current 30 ft would be okay for the hills in these parts.It's to long bumper to bumper.Even as high off the ground it is, it drags the rear in spots.

Forest Service campground, backed all the way in with the rear hanging over, the tongue stuck out in the road.

Myself and my style, I'm going shorter unless we go full time again.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29 foot trailer and spent 8 months traveling around the U.S. It was fine-wouldn't have wanted bigger. It all goes to how much stuff you want to cart around.