cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody Make A TT With a Single Twin Bed?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
Any mfg'r make a TT with a single twin bed? Looking to solo RV and don't need a big bed.

I'm seeing models with two twins but none with one. I suppose I could rip one out but would rather not do that. Also would prefer the bed to run the width of the trailer rather than along one of the long walls to provide more floor space.

Thanks.
32 REPLIES 32

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Nash 22H has double bed, nice floorplan, half ton towable.

A lot of storage, plenty of wardrobe and shower pan instead of the tub.

Nash 22H.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmw photos wrote:
My TT ( 2012 Funfinder 189FDS ) has a east-west rv queen, and came with a drop down bunk above that. I travel solo. I gave some thought to removing the bed, and just using the fold down bunk.

It would have opened up some floor space up front, but would have turned the pass thru storage into floor space. Had I done that, I would have bought a cab high cap for the truck to use as space for the junk that is currently in the storage area of the trailer.

I suppose I could modify the existing bed to make it just a twin, but it would only open up a few sq ft of space.

Getting a factory built custom layout is likely going to be pricey, so I would think it would be more cost effective to find something close to what you want, then modify to suit.

Indeed!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
My TT ( 2012 Funfinder 189FDS ) has a east-west rv queen, and came with a drop down bunk above that. I travel solo. I gave some thought to removing the bed, and just using the fold down bunk.

It would have opened up some floor space up front, but would have turned the pass thru storage into floor space. Had I done that, I would have bought a cab high cap for the truck to use as space for the junk that is currently in the storage area of the trailer.

I suppose I could modify the existing bed to make it just a twin, but it would only open up a few sq ft of space.

Getting a factory built custom layout is likely going to be pricey, so I would think it would be more cost effective to find something close to what you want, then modify to suit.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jedidad wrote:
kerrlakeRoo mentioned one with bunk beds that I hadn't thought of (Flagstaff E16BH). Looking at those now. Hard to find models with bunks ONLY and not an additional queen bed. (I'm looking at TT's under 19ft, btw)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Some beds "convert" into a couch or seating.

Our first TT was a 1980s 20 ft Terry Taurus, the one bed ran across the front and when not being used as a bed during the day it folded up to make a long couch.

The previous owner in their wise wisdom removed the fold up mechanism and dropped a 3/4" sheet of plywood across..

I removed the full sheet plywood, made a small cabinet to fill in the space a bit then made a removable section of plywood that allowed me to turn that back into a couch for daytime. Used a trifold foam futon which allowed to be folded up for couch..

It also had a twin bunk bed over that bed that folded up for day time and down for night.. I ended up just removing that bunk due to severe water damage..

Then the dinette also could make into a twin bed.

Looking for a single bed RV in anything over 16-17ft is not going to be easy, most trailers in that size will have at least two to three beds.

For a single twin your most likely will be looking at the small trailers like TAB (14ft or smaller, think canned ham or teardrop style) which are primarily designed for ONE person or a extremely close "couple".

Like I said, you need to go and look at the RVs on the lot, sometimes things are not obvious from the manufacturers brochures..

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned, the Escape 17' trailer has a two dinette floorplan. One dinette is a 4 seat dinette width wise at the front that can turn into a double bed. The other dinette is a 2 seat dinette width wise at the back that turns into a single bed. Both dinettes are 74" long. Single is between 30 & 38" wide; double is 5 2" wide.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo mentioned one with bunk beds that I hadn't thought of (Flagstaff E16BH). Looking at those now. Hard to find models with bunks ONLY and not an additional queen bed. (I'm looking at TT's under 19ft, btw)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
>>...Try sleeping on a couch for a few weeks...<<

Slept on one for 3 years, actually. 🙂

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Typically in RVs the bed length IS short and finding any bed in standard home lengths is almost impossible.

Well there are notable exceptions ... the current Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer series features full 80" length queen beds as do most models in the Coachmen Apex series. :B

Gdetrailer wrote:
Even the so called twin beds are not as wide as your home bed, so a FULL size bed is a bit closer to what you seek.

Home twin is about 40" wide, RV twins are on the order of 32-34 wide or about what a home couch depth is.

Sounds to me like the OP is looking for an east-west bed in a twin size, which I doubt he'll find as most seem to be 54" "double" width ... lots of those out there. 🙂

Which is why I specifically mentioned TYPICALLY RV beds are short. That means there may be a FEW "exceptions" but in reality MOST will be short.

RVs by the very nature, is a small space, to make the most of the small space there ARE compromises that MUST be made to fit in all the amenities that the wider audience DEMANDS.

Op IS going to HAVE to make a few "concessions" in their DEMANDS if they want to buy a RV.. Bed width IS a concession that should not be a show stopper at all.

Doubt the OP has ever tried to sleep on a RV twin bed.. Try sleeping on a couch for a few weeks.. That IS the size of most RV twins..

I would shoot for a Full size bed in a RV, it will be slightly wider than a home twin but not as wide as a home full size.

If the trailer has more beds than you want, ignore the extra beds..

As I mentioned before, RV manufacturers typically do count the dinette as a "bed" since most dinettes the table drops and the back cushions are used to fill in to make a twin bed. Therefore than manufacturer COUNTs that as a bed.. It IS optional so you simply leave the table up and ignore the idea of it being a bed..

Any extra beds, the OP CAN also "convert" those to storage depending on the configuration.. Bunks can often be removed and shelving put in place.. Or one can simply put a curtain up and use the bunks and hide anything there as storage..

Many things you might want to take with you like outside chairs, tables, canopies and such could be stored on one of those unneeded bunk spaces..

Many people often find they are short on storage space, those extra bunks can be put to use..

Many ways to get around the problem if you think outside the box.

I would also think that if the OP ever decided to sell the RV, they WILL have an easier time selling a RV with more than one bed..

OPs best bet is to go to a few different RV dealers and start roaming their lots.. Go in each trailer then think about how they can repurpose or reuse the extra bed spaces.. Shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Not sure how small you were looking for, there is the little Flagstaff e-pro E16BH which has 30x74 bunks across the rear, and a good sized u shaped dinette in the front.

Edit add
The R-pods also have several with a 42" bunk.

That Flagstaff E16BH looks good. I could just use the top bunk for storage.

Thanks!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
A standard twin bed is 39" wide. A "full" in a trailer is 54", only 15" wider. Look for one that goes crossways of one end, normally the front. Lots of those around. You could probably rebuild the platform to match a narrower mattress. However, there is normally good storage space under the platform, so not really a waste.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Karanavore
Explorer
Explorer
I RV solo also. I have a Surveyor 189, with a 60X80 queen bed across the front wall. It's about 20' long and has a slide-out with a jack-knife sofa in lieu of dinette. Lots of floor space and lots of storage apace. The bad news: Surveyor no longer makes this floor plan but you might find a used one.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jedidad wrote:
Any mfg'r make a TT with a single twin bed? Looking to solo RV and don't need a big bed.

Here in Ontario we have a custom coach builder Taylor Coach which has been in business since 1967 and specializes in smaller sized custom designs and yes, they do ship to customers in the US. As they say in their advertising - "Various layouts available to meet your needs please contact us." :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Typically in RVs the bed length IS short and finding any bed in standard home lengths is almost impossible.

Well there are notable exceptions ... the current Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer series features full 80" length queen beds as do most models in the Coachmen Apex series. :B

Gdetrailer wrote:
Even the so called twin beds are not as wide as your home bed, so a FULL size bed is a bit closer to what you seek.

Home twin is about 40" wide, RV twins are on the order of 32-34 wide or about what a home couch depth is.

Sounds to me like the OP is looking for an east-west bed in a twin size, which I doubt he'll find as most seem to be 54" "double" width ... lots of those out there. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Slides or no-slides?

Length?

The Escape 19 may work. The mfg will let you flip the bed and dinette. Make the front dinette into a small bed and the large rear bed a U-dinette.

Also a small Toy Hauler may work, put in a Futon or whatever you want in the floor space.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I rv solo also, and I've looked around quite a bit for a lone 'twin size' bed. The closest thing I've found is the 17' Escape which has dinettes both front and back. In the bathroom model (17B) the front dinette is 30" wide, which would suit me fine as a full-time bed.

I think the T@B was mentioned... one floor plan has a U dinette, which could possibly be used as a bed on the rear section of the U (across the back) while still keeping 2 seats, 1 on either side.

Most TTs are built to cater to a wide variety of potential customers (which is good for resale later on, too). Solo travelers are a fairly narrow band of potential buyers.

Of course, a cargo trailer could be built out in any configuration one desired (within space constraints, naturally) either by a handy person or by a specialty company. You could have exactly the layout and features you'd like.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point