cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody still tow with an old GM?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The old GMT-900, when the Duramax and 8.1L were the kings of the hill for diesel and gas, model years 00-07....used to see a zillion of them on the road, and now none....Maybe because all the brake lines rotted here in the northeast? Or did everybody upgrade to ventilated seats with bluetooth and back up camera?
59 REPLIES 59

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Transynd is the STUFF!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my 04.5 duramax with 130K miles on it went to our son when we got the 2015.5 duramax.

The 04.5 now has 250K miles on it, still going strong. Just recently did the first set of brake pads, It has had a few repairs at 200K+ miles, needed to rebuild the fuel filter assy, was getting air leaks, and had a slightly lopey idle that was traced to the fuel pressure regulator, but other than that it's been basic common sense maintenance. At about 20K miles I did go an aux fuel filter and a deep pan on the allison and filled with transynd, changed it at 100K miles, then at 200K miles.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We’ve got an ‘06 Chevy 2wd single cab 6.6l150xxx and still going.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Our 05 duramax dually is sitting in the garage waiting for and if we can go south again this winter. 112K miles and still seems like a new truck. Downsized from the alpenlite to a TT because of health. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:

Ditto. I still see a lot of them on the dry side on WA State.

My dad has an 06. He hardly drives it any more. It's got under 85k miles on it. He's in the Tacoma area. I'm in Spokane and have an 09 (GMT900) with under 70k

Duramax? If he puts it up for sale, give the RVnet heads up first!
I'd be first in line for a cherry LBZ!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:

We see more '90s and '00s 2500/3500 GM farm and ranch trucks than Dodge or Fords in this part of my state. Still doing there jobs.

Even with those "weak" GM front axles? LOL

I've always enjoyed the ignorance of the solid axle nut humpers that claim GM IFS front axles are not as good....
Both have their advantages and drawbacks, but strength and service life are not a detriment of the IFS axles.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor across the road has a '04 2500 Chevy 8.1 4wd long bed crew cab he bought new just after I bought the '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins quad cab NV5600 in my sig.
We both pull the same 16k 36' GN triaxle stock trailer moving mostly beef.
Since new its been used as his farm truck on his 420 acres. It has a hole in the muffler and I hear him every day pulling a feed trailer with a load on the truck. Other than a few sheet metal dings from a over active herd bull (took him to the county sale barn after the second dinger). The old truck like mine still runs great.
We see more '90s and '00s 2500/3500 GM farm and ranch trucks than Dodge or Fords in this part of my state. Still doing there jobs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Can’t swing a dead cat without hitting one around here. And many of them in good shape. That’s the difference between the rust belt and the rain belt!

Ditto. I still see a lot of them on the dry side on WA State.

My dad has an 06. He hardly drives it any more. It's got under 85k miles on it. He's in the Tacoma area. I'm in Spokane and have an 09 (GMT900) with under 70k
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD here with the Duramax LBZ engine. 215,000 and working great. I live in Alabama and no salt on roads. Looks Great, Runs Great, Tows Great, and is PAID FOR for a long time now. My truck doesn't know what Regen or DEF means and that is ok with me.

I get asked if I want to sell it too as a previous post mentioned. Nope!
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Still have the 03 2500HD 8.1 I bought new. It has about 65k miles. It has been a great truck and I plan on keeping it for a long time.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still have our ordered new 2004.5 Chevy Duramax 6.6 diesel Allison crew cab long box 4X4 truck and has way over 200K of only towing miles on it. With either the 11'3" Lance TC on the back or towing our 29' Carriage 5th wheel behind it.

Brake lines are still not rusted but one front line had to be replaced 5 years ago as a large rock hit it and nearly flattened it in one spot. We heard it hit but didn't notice any damage at all. Didn't look at the brake lines etc but should have! Oil change place saw the damaged line. The bright red paint is still shiny yet and there is no rust on it as I always have our vehicles undercoated properly and before we even drive them. It works! Has a sprayed in bed liner up and over the top sides and the tailgate, so no rust there either!

We live in West Michigan on the Lake Michigan shoreline and they do salt the roads here in winter.

Hadn't planned on keeping the truck so many years but it has been such a fine truck, so why spend gobs of $$$ to get a new one. The one we have does everything we want it to do and the truck has had only 2 not expensive repairs needed so far. Happy campers we are! The inside and upholstery is still in very good condition. At 79 years of age why do I even need a newer truck??? Much rather keep the money in our own accounts!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
I had a 2003 Burb, 2500 with the 8.1. Did a good job of towing the boat, but I must say, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I think that engine is WAY over rated, especially if you compare it to the more modern engines. The 6.2 in the Yukon Denali that replaced it was a more powerful tow engine, and got better MPG towing than the 8.1 ever did solo.

Yes, there are more powerful engines now, that was the point of my post...BUT when the 8.1 came out it was the BOMB. Loved my Burb!!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 2005 Chevy dually new. It's been my primary work truck ever since. It has 279,000 miles on it. It still earns it's keep every day.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2003 Burb, 2500 with the 8.1. Did a good job of towing the boat, but I must say, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I think that engine is WAY over rated, especially if you compare it to the more modern engines. The 6.2 in the Yukon Denali that replaced it was a more powerful tow engine, and got better MPG towing than the 8.1 ever did solo.

Make no mistake. We are living in "the good ole days".
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ancient '03 with an 8.1/Allison. It has about 220,000 Km & still runs about as well as it always has. My 5th wheel is biggish for this truck, and the GVW is actually a hundred pounds or so over when all is fully loaded. But it's so relaxing to tow with & handles any mountain passes I've driven as well as I need. It's old & getting kinda crappy looking (employees) but I can't justify getting a newer one.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison