cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox basement fan mod

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Winter is way off, but I had some time recently to work on my AF 990 basement fan. I wanted the ability to run the fan to circulate air into the basement area without using the propane furnace. This would happen when we winter camp with electric hookups and use a space heater for the primary source of heat. Typically this would be at RV parks close to ski resorts like in Mammoth, CA and Park City, UT. I thought this might help someone because I wasn't sure how to do it myself and poked around for a while until I figured it out.

First, I removed the access panel under the bathroom door to the right of the fan, as well as the fan cover itself. I identified the wires that power the fan and clipped and stripped them. I wasn't 100% sure of the positive/negative, but anyone doing this won't have to clip the white (negative) like I did. The fat white/black wire pair come from the thermostat and are powered on when the thermostat is triggered.

Next, I reconnected the negative (fat white from thermostat, thin black from fan) and spliced in some short extensions to the original positive (fat black from thermostat, thin red from fan). Everything was soldered and shrink-wrapped.

Next, I needed a hot positive to power the fan in override. There is a wire harness there with a big red wire. I stripped off the connector and soldered in the yellow wire.

I got a 3 position ON-OFF-ON switch from an auto parts store. This gives me the ability to disable the fan completely if I want to save a small amount of power in above freezing conditions. I thought about just using a 2 position ON-ON switch, but decided I could trust myself to not forget to have the fan on when needed.

The green wire feeds the fan and is the common. The yellow is from the hot positive, and the brown is from the thermostat positive. It's important to NOT bridge the hot positive and thermostat positive, because that feeds power back into the thermostat and turns the furnace on. The two circuits have to be completely isolated. I ended up soldering the screw-on connections because it looked shaky at best just screwed on.

I drilled a small hole next to the fan vent and installed the switch, leaving enough room for the large plastic cover.

This is all that was needed to manually control the fan, but when I was in there I noticed that the fan is not sealed in at all, just pointing in the right direction instead of having a tight seal. To move more air this needs to be fixed.

I decided to cover the gaps with thick cardboard to provide a tight seal and force more air into the basement. This is what I started with, but I did end up trimming an additional 1/4" from the bottom to get it to fit.

I installed it with some metal duct tape.

I cut a rectangular piece for the hole on the left. Can't remember the exact size, but that one is pretty easy to get right with a little trial/error.

Here it is all put back together. The switch is high enough off the floor that it doesn't get kicked on or off.

Now the long wait for winter...
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg
14 REPLIES 14

USMarine0369
Explorer
Explorer
I put the shroud in yesterday. You can definitely feel the difference in the air flow. It blows into the area under the shower and comes out at the front step. My next addition will be to add a 2nd fan where it comes out at the step.
I did not put a switch in. Thanks!

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Gary3 wrote:
This is just a question but why don,t they put a heat duct in the basement at the factory like the rest of the camper companys do.

On the AF 990 the furnace is in the slideout. Real problem routing ductwork with that design.

Nice writeup. I'm going to make that mod also. A friend at work and I had discussed it some time ago.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
This is just a question but why don,t they put a heat duct in the basement at the factory like the rest of the camper companys do.
Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Accomplished the fan mod this morning...quick, easy and painless. Works great! Sky_Free, Thanks again for posting.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the photo. Nice neat installation. The deflector is a good idea with the carpet overhang that close.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great idea. I will have to check to see where I could fit one of those on my AF 990. $120 at Home Depot. That one is 30" but they have other models from 20" to 50".
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
kerry4951 wrote:
Did this on my 1140 about 2 years ago. Also added electric baseboard heat so no more ceramic heater to trip over. Also installed a second heater and fan in the basement area with a lighted on/off switch inside the living area.

What size baseboard heater did you use and where did you install it ?

I had ample room for a Dimplex 1000 watt unit under the stove. It was the best option in my 1140. Heater is recessed back in and out of the way. I did add an aluminum deflector shield (painted to match the heater) to deflect the heat flow out and away from the wall and overhang. I wired into my A/C breaker since you will only use one or the other separately at any time. Works beautiful.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Did this on my 1140 about 2 years ago. Also added electric baseboard heat so no more ceramic heater to trip over. Also installed a second heater and fan in the basement area with a lighted on/off switch inside the living area.

What size baseboard heater did you use and where did you install it ?

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job! Will be doing this on my 1150 also.
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding! You were thinking exactly what I was except you got to it before me. Now that you've done all the hard investigative work with positive results I'll tackle this soon--well done sir, well done!!!
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
That is definitely on my mod list, as it would allow me to use an electric space heater and have the warm air be circulated through the basement.

Another idea I have been toying with is getting one of those small, 100 watt desktop heaters (like the Lasko or the Sengoku model), and having a fan circulate around that. It won't heat much, but it would keep the basement from freezing, and could be run from the battery with an inverter. That way, even if the furnace isn't run, the basement still gets some heat.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks as well. This is a modification I have been planning on doing and this is a great help.

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this and the good pictures. This is a mod I want to do on my 990 as well. I use an electric forced air heater some of the time and it would be nice to know some heat is getting into the basement. I may add a light that indicates when it is on just in case I forget to turn it off.