cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox travel trailers

mcsandman
Explorer
Explorer
Research inclines me to believe that Arctic Foxes look nice with sound construction and amenities. Who likes 'em and why? Who dislikes 'em and why? Right now I'm looking hard at the 25R.
mcsandman
New Horizons 19' 5er
Ford F-150, 5.4, 3.55
27 REPLIES 27

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

That's wonderful for you but you'll notice I did not make the comment on NW trailers in general. I was specific to the new model the OP is looking at. I never said it was some sort of historic issue with them.

A close friend of mine bought a new 25P (same chassis) and his did as I describe. The dealer said it had become a common issue. We looked at some newer arrivals at the dealership and they had been built in a similar manor and only time will tell if they still fail.
This is why I commented and I think the point is important.

Sorry Scott, but 1) the neither the 25P nor 25R are not "new" the 25P goes back to 2007 and the 25R goes back to 2005
2) There are no Fox dealers in Florida, the closest is something like 400 or 500 miles away
The combination makes me think he is looking at a used 25R
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't speak about their newer products, but we have a 1998 Nash (same manufacturer) and it is SOLID. Very well built. Everything feels solid, not cheap and tinny like new ones. If we hadn't outgrown our little 22H, I wouldn't be selling mine...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
This might help, not sure...I asked about the same thing earlier this month see http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27818904.cfm

Since that time and out for a 2 week rv outing about 70 miles from where they are made in Oregon. Out of maybe 20 people that I talked with 1 had a delamination problem and was not happy. 2 said their tank valves were hard to pull but just about everybody would buy again.

Wife has there PDF on her desk top and can't seem to find model she would be happy with. (Mostly a larger kitchen).

They seem to have good name but are heavy, so trade offs are never ending in RV world.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
n7bsn wrote:
ScottG wrote:
They are better than avg. but still have problems. If you buy that model be sure to check the rollers for the slide from time to time especially when new. When the slide is out, lift the carpet flap and check the plastic rollers. They have a poor mounting method and tend to collapse into the floor. The slide will still work but it will labor.
This would not keep me from buying one but just be aware of the problem.

Never had that happen in 12 years of owning two units.
Also never have seen that complaint on the Northwoods products forum.

That's wonderful for you but you'll notice I did not make the comment on NW trailers in general. I was specific to the new model the OP is looking at. I never said it was some sort of historic issue with them.

A close friend of mine bought a new 25P (same chassis) and his did as I describe. The dealer said it had become a common issue. We looked at some newer arrivals at the dealership and they had been built in a similar manor and only time will tell if they still fail.
This is why I commented and I think the point is important.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
mcsandman wrote:
...mcsandman
New Horizons 19' 5er.

FYI, I put them at a slightly lower quality then New Horizon, which I think are the best made RV
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
They are better than avg. but still have problems. If you buy that model be sure to check the rollers for the slide from time to time especially when new. When the slide is out, lift the carpet flap and check the plastic rollers. They have a poor mounting method and tend to collapse into the floor. The slide will still work but it will labor.

Never had that happen in 12 years of owning two units.
Also never have seen that complaint on the Northwoods products forum.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
n7bsn wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I was impressed by the Arctic Fox and looked hard for one when I was in the market for our first fiver. But they are very very rare in Florida, about as rare as the critter they are named after.

Some friends in Texas drove to Florida to buy their used 29-5T

I looked for 5 or 6 months for one. But never found one. I thought one of the snow birds might sell one. The nearest dealer was in Texas IIRC.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I was impressed by the Arctic Fox and looked hard for one when I was in the market for our first fiver. But they are very very rare in Florida, about as rare as the critter they are named after.

Some friends in Texas drove to Florida to buy their used 29-5T

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
They'd be my first choice. I couldn't find one that fit my needs when shopping (used - couldn't afford new). I went with a lesser brand and have been paying the price ever since.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
FYI
Find out of the rig was made at the (old-closed) eastern plant vrs the main Oregon plant.
While the basic quality would still be there, the eastern plant used 3rd party frames, vrs making their own. Yes the frames were made to Northwoods specs, but they aren't Northwood frames.

Some rigs made in between 2002 and 2006 had delamination issues. Northwoods fixed this with tighter environmental controls in the factory.

These may effect your final choice on this rig.

Both of our last two rigs, the 1999 24-5N we had from 2001 to 2011 and the 2012 29-9E were made in the Oregon plant.

Obviously we think well of them.

Northwoods rigs are heavy, they are built to stand up to off-road use. They generally have a large cargo capacity, both of our rigs had a 4000 lb cargo rating.

They are built tight, both of our rigs are tight enough that if you leave the entry door ajar and move the main slide, the air pressure will move the door.

They are well insulated (for an RV) most come with Thermo-pane windows (it's an option, the factory tells me that 90% of them ship with Thermo-pane windows)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
All of the Northwood Mfg. products seem to very high quality. Built on a frame made by Northwood exclusively for each unit they always seem to get great reviews. They now make a few in the Lite line which are rated well also. When I looked at them I could not find one that would fit under my limited storage height. Otherwise, they would be on the top of my list.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper