Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article about Chinese tires ... For what its worth

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
http://news.yahoo.com/china-changes-compound-rubber-recipe-063046002.html

Is this good or bad for the rv tire industry ?
12 REPLIES 12

no2tracks
Explorer
Explorer
In the bicycle market they made tires for kids bikes by Dae Jung(pronounced die young)!
1987 21'Kit Companion

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental “they’re all there building tires in China. Some are better made than others just like the USA. We try and buy made in USA but sometimes it's hard to tell what makes up a total product. Usually a combination.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even some of the very good tires you buy from Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich and many others are probably made in some quantity in China.

China makes many very high quality products, usually "on spec" (to specific material and quality standards) for many of the worlds best name brands.

So just saying "Chinese Made" isnt really relevant.

Stick to the big names In tires (including some of the Asian ones) and you will most likely get a good high quality tire.

Where the Chinese excel is in taking something like tires and manufacturing them with a no-name brand very cheaply and sells them by the container load via AliBaba. These are NOT the tires you want.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be a lot less contentious to pontificate on something like boots, bonnets and petrol or perhaps the super bowl instead of tyres...

FWIW, RVtiresaety on Chinese tire quality. Tire quality would still have to meet standards/regulations in NA. The article doesn't mention the reasons behind the change but the reduction in rubber content could be for environmental reasons which would be a good thing.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I am TIRED of reading about Chinese TYRES.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Beachums wrote:
I think you guys are confused. This article is talking about tyres, not tires.

Tyres is the British way of spelling tires.

And I believe they have already substituted something cheaper also. Just like using their cheaper leaded paint on painted products and selling supplied lead free paint out the back door for a profit.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
If you thought Chinese tires were of poor quality in the past, this move should take away any doubt. Ain't no way I am buying tires made there.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
I think you guys are confused. This article is talking about tyres, not tires.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
At this point that article means absoutley nothing.

Let the pontification begin....

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
If it's like other Chinese products, they're already doing it... What happens in China is the product gets prototyped and signed off. Then it goes into production. Somewhere in China, somebody substitutes a lower cost material and pockets the difference (remember Melamine in powdered milk, it raised the number they needed for the lab test) chances are somewhere somebody has already been using the new rubber formula, now its just okay to do it.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The industry? What about the consumer?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL