cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Ford F250 Sync

Maintcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone play with this and know what it does?
Dan, Ret Navy CPO
Minnie The Wife Extraordinaire
2015 Sundance 245RL
2012 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 DSL
18 REPLIES 18

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
update: it seems I can control the volume and skip songs via the steering wheel when connected via bluetooth, but I tried plugging in via USB I now have "mobile app" control of pandora and spotify. I guess that's not available without the usb pluged in?

Cv67cheng
Explorer
Explorer
Works great for me, steep learning curve, but lots of info out there as well as dedicated web sites to assist you. Once you learn how to use it, the system is very nice to have.
Pain is temporary...Quitting last forever!
USN retired, LDO CDR, 31 years.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
Just saw some video from CES that included coverage on Ford's newest system. It looks almost identical to the Uconnect system Chrysler uses which many say is the best in the industry.

I have no experience with anything but Uconnect, but I find it very well executed and it works very well with my android phone, including voice to text and text to voice. I can send a text, make a call, change the song, change the radio station, and even adjust the temperature setting in my truck (and Jeep) just by voice.

So, improvements are coming for the Ford system. Too bad they are in bed with Microsoft.

I would have to say these people would perhaps disagree with you.

Also my wifes new '14 Edge works really good on my wifes new android phone and as usual will control just about every feature including the navigation via voice commands which also have been improved. I have not tested my IPhone yet.

In addition Ford's next gen system will have a capacitive coupled screen just like our smart phones.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have it in my car. Love it. I can have it call restaurants to make reservations, Can tell it what channel to play, Just talk and it will navigate for you. turns on the heat, or ac and sets the temp with just a spoken word, finds gas stations, and tells you the price of gas. Checks the weather, and shows a weather map, and warns you of approaching storms, as well as road construction ahead, and actually shows a real picture of you next exit, wit arrows showing which way to go.

Does everything but drive the car.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Just saw some video from CES that included coverage on Ford's newest system. It looks almost identical to the Uconnect system Chrysler uses which many say is the best in the industry.

I have no experience with anything but Uconnect, but I find it very well executed and it works very well with my android phone, including voice to text and text to voice. I can send a text, make a call, change the song, change the radio station, and even adjust the temperature setting in my truck (and Jeep) just by voice.

So, improvements are coming for the Ford system. Too bad they are in bed with Microsoft.

Ford has dumped MS for Blackberry's QNX in future Sync iterations. QNX is the OS for The 8.4" Uconnect, Kia, Hyundai, Audi, BMW infotainment systems. Ford is blaming MS for the issues, MS is blaming Ford for the issues and we the consumers are left with a not so great feature we paid big $$ for. I personally have had no issues with the MyFord Touch other than not being able to voice to text or text to voice over the system but that is an Apple vs MS issue as Android phones apparently work for this feature.
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sync also does not do well with the latest iOS update.. Ford says they are waiting for Apple to fix their own issues with it and not going to try to fix it on their end, as they say it works fine with the older iOS just fine.

The problem with mine is that the dang microphone won't work 90% of the time.. I can pair just fine, but when a call comes in, I can hear them, but they can't hear me. At the same time, I can't talk to Sync to control the phone or iPod...

I have the most current update for Sync and have reset and now I just have to take it in.. I still have 2 years of warranty left, so I'll do it eventually..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
brittsnbirds wrote:
I have a buddy who owns a 2011 F-250. His truck will do way more with his Iphone than my Chevy will. The only thing the Chevy will let you do is call, talk with Siri, have her read your texts etc. It will not allow you to play your songs from your phone, Ford will. Chevy missed the boat for sure.

Volkswagen is way ahead of Chevy as well. My wife's VW Sportwagen even allows her to play her music from her phone through her stereo.

Ford's Sync allows you to play music from your phone over bluetooth as well (ie, wireless connection) using Pandora or songs on your phone's memory. You can control the playback with the steering wheel buttons or give verbal commands to play, skip, etc. It will resume playing after a phone call and things like that. It can do everything that the VW system can.

GM's system (pre 2014) will allow you to play music from your phone, too, but you have to plug in via the 3.5mm connection (the GM trucks have an "Aux" port on the dash where you plug the phone in). Works fine, just another wire is the only drawback.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maintcpo wrote:

I nice idea but extremely badly executed..

The idea was to have your cellphone "sync" to the vehicle radio via bluetooth to allow you to have hands free phone with voice commands plus you get a USB input to the radio to allow you to play MP3s from USB or even from a smart phone..

In practice it may work and it may not work depending on the mood of Sync..

My truck came with it due to the fact that Ford FORCED me to get it via a option package bundle which lumped adjustable pedals AND SYNC into package.. Couldn't get the adjustable pedals without Sync? What the heck??

Unfortunately when Sync has a really bad day your radio may not function, at all.

Sync was the first thing to go.. I promptly yanked the OEM radio and put in a aftermarket radio, I just don't need to deal with the firmware updates and blunders just so I can listen to music.

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
katoom400 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Maintcpo wrote:

Manual:
Sync

I just picked up my 2015 Superduty with the Sync radio. I've got an IPhone 6 and I'm still trying to figure it out...the phone part works perfectly, and I can stream Bluetooth audio from Pandora, and Spotify. I can use the forward and back steering wheel buttons to skip songs, but I can not get any of the other "mobile app" commands to work.

Sync does not recognize any "compatible mobile apps" on my device, even though it can skip to the next song and pause and play within them?

it is supposed to be able to read text messages as well, but I can't get that to work either...hands free texting would be awesome.

You're asking Sync, a Microsoft based operating system to play nice with an IOS device...never going to happen. To have any sort of functionality I find using Siri over the Sync hands free works ok.
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I love mine (2012 F350) for the handsfree phone functions and being able to play music from my iphone. But that is about all I use it for. Just have not taken the time to learn the rest.

Call your local Ford dealer. They will most likely help you learn the features that interest you. My local dealer has a sync class every Saturday morning for anyone interested.

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I have a 2014 F250 with Sync and absolutely love it. With the Bluetooth activated I can access my entire phone book (iPhone) hands free and just tell it what to do. It also syncs with my tunes and I can scroll through the tunes with the steering wheel buttons. DW can also hard line plug in her Android and listen to her sappy Celine Dion howling.

It is all about setting it up properly and if you are techno-challenged go back to the dealer and they will have a 20 something in the service department who can do it with their eyes closed.

I'm pretty tech savy, I've followed the instructions from the Ford sync site and it just does not recognize some of the commands, maybe because it's the newest Iphone and IOS? it plays music and downloaded my phonebook no problem, but I can't change stations in pandora to switch to another app without doing so on the phone itself. According to the Sync website I should be able to do all of those things via voice command.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 F250 with Sync and absolutely love it. With the Bluetooth activated I can access my entire phone book (iPhone) hands free and just tell it what to do. It also syncs with my tunes and I can scroll through the tunes with the steering wheel buttons. DW can also hard line plug in her Android and listen to her sappy Celine Dion howling.

It is all about setting it up properly and if you are techno-challenged go back to the dealer and they will have a 20 something in the service department who can do it with their eyes closed.

brittsnbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I think Ford is way ahead of Chevy in regards to Iphone pairing.

I have a buddy who owns a 2011 F-250. His truck will do way more with his Iphone than my Chevy will. The only thing the Chevy will let you do is call, talk with Siri, have her read your texts etc. It will not allow you to play your songs from your phone, Ford will. Chevy missed the boat for sure.

Volkswagen is way ahead of Chevy as well. My wife's VW Sportwagen even allows her to play her music from her phone through her stereo.

If your sync isn't working right take it back to your salesman, I would bet they can figure out the issue. Doubt it's a system glitch, probably operator install error.
Catch ya later!

Pat