cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome 6.0-Only Mechanic

FullTimingAt40
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I went fulltime this year, and we tow a 2013 Crusader 325RES with a '03 F250 232K with the infamous 6.0. The truck spent 4 out of 5 months in the shop this summer, went thru 3 "certified diesel mechanics" in that time and approx $13,000. We got it back from the last shop and a week later, no start yet again. In desperation I called the owner of Super Duty Service in Grain Valley, MO simply for advice as we were in New Orleans, LA. When I told Anthony the owner, our story and what had been done on the truck, HE JUMPED INTO HIS TRUCK AND DROVE 800 MILES TO NEW ORLEANS TO FIX OUR TRUCK! Not only did he point out what the other mechanics had done wrong or had ignored or had overrepaired, but he gave us lessons on how to maintain the truck that were contrary to what we had been told by the supposed "experts". Anthony wouldn't take any money from us for his trouble, he said we had paid enough to mechanics for this year. He also understands the needs of us RVers as he has done RV transport for years with his '06 6.0 that now has 798K on it. Just wanted to let our fellow RVers know, if you got a 6.0 with some issues I highly recommend getting it to Super Duty Service in Grain Valley, MO if at all possible.
51 REPLIES 51

cinrock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Anthony and Julie. I've followed your posts on FTE on your engine rebuild and now on helping those folks down in NOLA. If you ever get down to South Carolina, the beer is on me!
'05 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.0 PSD
'11 831QBSS Flagstaff Classic Signature Series
Held on by a Reese Dual Cam HP

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
The issue is we hear so many stories about how somebody shot somebody else, instead of the stories about how someone helped another out of a sticky situation.

Thanks OP and Anthony for sharing a positive story. It's also a good reminder of how expensive things can get when unskilled mechanics get access to a complicated engine and a customers credit card....
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
This story makes me think of a situation with one of my very best friends: he's not the smartest or the biggest go-getter in the world but he's a really good guy. After years of bouncing around clerk-type jobs, a few years back he landed a job selling wine & spirits and now in year 3 he's making around $80g. I recently congratulated him and he responded very modestly that it is basically all due to being honest, being kind and friendly to people, working hard, and doing the right thing.

I think if one is patient enough in life, doing the right thing and being good to people comes back to us eventually, even if it takes time.

Bravo Anthony...you're cut from the same cloth as my buddy I think.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

FullTimingAt40
Explorer
Explorer
I'll do whatever I can to shout from the mountaintops about Anthony's extreme act of kindness! And beside that, I want 6.0 owners to be aware that many places are making big $$$ based on the 6.0's bad reputation alone. I was talking with a 6.0 owner at the bar last night, and he was telling me his '06 6liter all of a sudden would only do 5mph last year. He took it into Ford dealer fearing the worst, and service dept said "yeah these 6s are junk, the engine is probably blown, we'll give you $5,000 trade in for it". He almost took it! At the last minute he decided to insist they figure out what was wrong, turns out it was only an IPR, a $250 fix. This is a truck worth $25K in some areas of the country, that dealer would have positively stole that truck and had it on the lot the next day for $28K. Be ware.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always great to hear about somebody helping a fellow RVer...I know the feeling as I was recently on the receiving end when my trans let go.

Welcome to marketing in the age of connected social media...it's no longer good enough to take out an ad and tell folks how good you are...you need to SHOW them, and then get them talking about it and telling their friends.

So in addition to being a great guy for going out of his way to help someone that really needed his expertise, Anthony is also a very smart businessman. All you 6.0 owners take note of where to go when you need a go-to guy to fix it right.

SuperDutyServic
Explorer
Explorer
Thx guys,,, very kind words. I really think what goes around comes around. I had the opportunity to help someone out,,, So glad I did. Like I said before,, It felt great to do, I also welcomed the traffic n feedback for our company. I mean,,, we gotta eat. Lol

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atta-boy Anthony

Good Job! :C
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to also thank Anthony (and his wife) for doing such an extreme act of kindness and concern. I'd also like to thank the OP for sharing their story that might help another avoid some of the terrible pitfalls that come from patronizing a shop with techs who don't have the proper training/experience and/or have unscrupulous profit motives. Feel free to share any of the solutions and advice for other 6.0l owners. I sensed a lot of skepticism in some responses but even in the nitty gritty city I work/live in it's refreshing to occasionally see unselfish acts of kindness that help remind me of the value of humanity.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
SuperDutyService wrote:
Hello guys,,, my name is Anthony. I own Super Duty Service in Grain Valley MO. I completely understand all the skepticism about this story. I will fill in some details.

Me and my wife have been leased on with a company in Indiana hauling campers for a long time. It is not a job I have to report to. I can call them once a year if need be. Mainly because we were full timers and the company I haul for is a small one.

I saw Val n Shannon's thread they put on and I FRIGGIN hate it when shops say "yeah we do that". Only to find out they are trying to figure it out as they go,,, at the customers expense. It's shops like that that give the 6,0 the rep it has. I could tell Val would have given up n called the 6.0 junk if they didn't get this figured out. I was in canada visiting friends (who happens to be a sr master tech), when they posted on ford.trucks. I then called Indiana. I figured I'd see what they had. Low n behold,,, 36'fw goin to ponchatoula la. GOOD DEAL. I did get paid to drive to ponchatoula. So that's the story. I am not the cheapest,, And there are customers that I will not work for. Last week a guy came in and tried to get me to price match. No deal. My customers are ALWAYS happy. 100%,,,, sofar lol. I am a picky sob,,, and I like customers that are also. If someone is picky,,, they notice details. I like details. I'm rambling huh???? Here is a link to Val n Shannon's ordeal. It's touching. Lol

http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265694

Don't get me wrong guys,,, I like money and try n focus on business. But think about it,,, my trip got you all talking about SDS. Lol. Mission accomplished. I looked at it as a PR venture. The following on our website was great. How many of you all have seen the movie "Pay it Forward"??? Hopefully my business will benefit. But either way,,, it felt darn good to help. Ok. No more rambling. Lol

Anthony, thank you for helping someone out. We need more people like you in this world. Not sure if you (or others) believe in Karma, but it really is about helping out our fellow man! Thank you for taking time and effort to help someone in need. Blessings sir!
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I say "thank you" to the mechanic who helped out and went over and above. As a 6.0 owner with 161,000 miles on my truck, I can say I believe that most of the problems experienced by 6.0 owners come from so called "diesel experts" who wouldn't know how to fix the 6.0 if their life depended on it. If you find a competent 6.0 mechanic, give him all your business. Most of the dealer techs are overpriced for the amount of expertise you get. Ford wants to forget this engine, as it was Ford that created the problems by modifying International's VT365 engine for the "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" set (more power, argh argh argh!)
The only problem I had with my truck was a failed EGR cooler. Since I had it in the shop I had my diesel mechanic "bulletproof" the truck with head studs, upgraded EGR and oil cooler, 4" exhaust, and new head gaskets. It runs like a champ. I don't worry about resale value as I have no plans to sell it or trade it.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
SuperDutyService wrote:
Hello guys,,, my name is Anthony. I own Super Duty Service in Grain Valley MO. I completely understand all the skepticism about this story. I will fill in some details.

Me and my wife have been leased on with a company in Indiana hauling campers for a long time. It is not a job I have to report to. I can call them once a year if need be. Mainly because we were full timers and the company I haul for is a small one.

I saw Val n Shannon's thread they put on and I FRIGGIN hate it when shops say "yeah we do that". Only to find out they are trying to figure it out as they go,,, at the customers expense. It's shops like that that give the 6,0 the rep it has. I could tell Val would have given up n called the 6.0 junk if they didn't get this figured out. I was in canada visiting friends (who happens to be a sr master tech), when they posted on ford.trucks. I then called Indiana. I figured I'd see what they had. Low n behold,,, 36'fw goin to ponchatoula la. GOOD DEAL. I did get paid to drive to ponchatoula. So that's the story. I am not the cheapest,, And there are customers that I will not work for. Last week a guy came in and tried to get me to price match. No deal. My customers are ALWAYS happy. 100%,,,, sofar lol. I am a picky sob,,, and I like customers that are also. If someone is picky,,, they notice details. I like details. I'm rambling huh???? Here is a link to Val n Shannon's ordeal. It's touching. Lol

Don't get me wrong guys,,, I like money and try n focus on business. But think about it,,, my trip got you all talking about SDS. Lol. Mission accomplished. I looked at it as a PR venture. The following on our website was great. How many of you all have seen the movie "Pay it Forward"??? Hopefully my business will benefit. But either way,,, it felt darn good to help. Ok. No more rambling. Lol

Congratulations for being a nice guy. I'll ask you forgive me and a few others who were just a bit suspicious since your actions are not typical - not typical at all - of most mechanics or repair garages. Again, thanks for reaffirming our confidence in the generosity of our fellow man.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

SuperDutyServic
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my contact info

Anthony and Julie Youngblood
Anthony@sdutys.com
(816)548-6970
(816)548-6971
(816)337-3881 Fax
www.sDUTYs.com

I am run6.0run on www.ford-trucks.com. Otherwise called FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts).

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I read the entire post over at FTE and yes it is true. This guy went way over and beyond with helping these people out.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

SuperDutyServic
Explorer
Explorer

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
I dont see why this is all so hard to believe. This summer my truck broke down out of cell service. I hitch hiked down the mountain. The people who picked me up drove 120 miles to their house to pick up their truck. Then we turned around drove 120 miles back to my TV and TT. TV was hauled home by tow truck. These strangers to me hooked up to my trailer and towed it the 80 more miles of my trip to where I was camping for a week. After dropping me they spent the night in their cabin that was about 15 miles from my destination and drove home that next day. They would not accept a $ from me. Not towards lunch or dinner or diesel. Not one thing they said my family and I had a rough day, and that should be enough. They were the best people I could have met that day.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD