cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle Service

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 19' Keystone tandem axle travel trailer and (yes I know) never serviced the axles. I pumped some grease into the zerks every few years, but haven't repacked the bearings or adjusted the brakes ever. Maybe I've been lucky, but haven't had any issues and typically tow 2,000 miles per year.
This year I'm going to have the axles serviced. A trailer place that primarily sells cargo trailers said it would be $750 per axle with everything. The big local RV dealer said $1400-1900. Should I take it to an RV dealer or trailer dealer? I'm thinking the trailer dealer will be cheaper. Everything else on the trailer is in great shape and has been well maintained. Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What exactly are they doing? A simple repack with new seals? Or all new brake assemblies with new drums and bearings?

If it were me......I would just repack the existing bearings (if they show no signs of failure) and reuse the drums with new seals. And install new self adjusting brake assemblies. Shouldn't be no more than $250 in parts and maybe another $250 in labor.

BTW.......how old are your tires?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I did my own last year. 4 new bacing plates which include megnets, shoes, springs etc. $400. Easy to install. Drums were good. Just repack bearings. You should be able to buy complete axle asemblies for that price.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
My word, more than a thousand dollars!? Look, I have a 2006 Airstream and I take mine into the Airstream dealer. Most of you are probably thinking that they must charge an arm and a leg for service. Not true. I have had this trailer since 2009 and always have the dealership work on it. To "service" an axle means to take off the wheels, repack the bearings, check the condition of the magnets and adjust the brakes if needed. They also told me that I should do this every 10K miles. Go by mileage and not time. Service is just this. If you need new brakes or new axles, then lots of money makes more sense. Last time it was about $100 per axle. I think it actually came in a tad under that. Will be due next year...probably will be more.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
What did you tell the shops?

If you told them what you posted here... They are likely quoting a worst case scenario.
There is really no way to tell just what is needed without someone getting their hands dirty.
Since you have been pumping grease into them, you may have a greasy mess in there.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:

Man, I am glad I don't live where you do.

You can buy complete brake/backing plate assy's in left and right pairs for $95 HERE

Two axles takes two sets of the above so $190 plus shipping for all four wheels.

About $100 per drum (which gives you brand new bearings and seals) so four drums = $400 plus shipping..

So, to fully refresh all brakes, bearings and drums we are talking $600 plus shipping..

To replace all parts should take no more than 15 minutes per wheel just removing and slapping on all new parts..

Say 1 hr of labor at $150 per hr..

Most places do not "double" the cost of materials, more like adding about 25% on top of materials so call it $750 in materials and $150 in labor or $900 for all four wheels out the door cost..

However, I seriously doubt that full on replacement of brakes and drums will be needed.. Myself, I had to replace the backing plates a few yrs ago on a 30+ yr old TT and they WERE the ORIGINAL BRAKES!

I suspect it will be more like just check and adjust the brakes and clean and repack the bearings so in reality, the only "parts" would be needed is maybe $40 in new seals and a few scoops of grease.. maybe 1-2 hrs of labor (2hrs if they are padding the bill)..

Many auto repair shops typically charge less than $100 per wheel to "service" the brakes and sometimes you can catch a deal at $40 per wheel if you shop around..

Myself, it is an easy thing to do so I pull, check and adjust as needed instead of paying a mechanic..

You're right, prices are steep on most stuff around here.
But you're right, I was off by a factor of 2 on the brake assemblies. $100/pr not $100/ea if you get them on line.
Speaking of prices, I needed 1 set of brake shoes last week to get me by on my snowmachine trailer. Typical 3500lb manual adjust Dexters.
Trailer place nearby was $40.....$$$$40 for one set of shoes. 2 shoes, 1 wheel!

Every shop I've been around recently has about a 100% markup on the "average" parts price. Buddy is a mechanic at a small local shop. Same there too. And not specific to this area, had to pay someone to put a new clutch in my truck in AK. Shop owner was a solid, honest guy. Said, buy your own parts if you want, other wise I'll charge you double...
Anyway, yes it could be done for less than $500 in "dealer" parts provided drums/hubs are fine. Or under $300 in the driveway.

I'm a pretty good wrench, but it's still an hour a wheel all in if you're replacing bearings, brake assemblies.
But, yeah $1500 is also HIGH, even at Seattle prices.
Like you said, depends what it needs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also question what you are asking them to do? What is service the axel? New brakes and new bearings, or just check and repack?

I paid $30 to repack bearings and check brakes when they were installing new tires a few months back. Very simple and took a few minutes. I think I have one bearing that is wearing a little, but they told me when I get tires next (5 years or so) I should change that bearing.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
I understand the cost of parts and retail cost of labor and for the work you're wanting/needing done, $750/axle isn't "bad."
Sure you can buy all the parts you need for somewhere between $25 (for a couple tubes of grease, parts cleaner etc and $500 (new complete brake assemblies and bearings/seals), but you aren't planning on tearing it apart in your driveway and repairing it, so $500 (worst case) in parts marked up 100% + the better part of a days labor @$100+/hr = $1500 all in to replace everything but drums is about right.

You can have the trailer place inspect and reuse parts, but bearings are cheap and not much savings to completely clean out old bearings vs popping in new. Brakes, provided they are in good working order, I would at a minimum replace the shoes. They may not be near worn out, but I just recently had a couple linings fall off the brake shoes on my 2005 trailer. Appears most are bonded not riveted.

Basically, $1500 gets you everything new and your hands don't get greasy. From there you or the shop could choose to save some of the parts, but you're paying similar labor charges either way.

RV dealer is a rip-off.

Man, I am glad I don't live where you do.

You can buy complete brake/backing plate assy's in left and right pairs for $95 HERE

Two axles takes two sets of the above so $190 plus shipping for all four wheels.

About $100 per drum (which gives you brand new bearings and seals) so four drums = $400 plus shipping..

So, to fully refresh all brakes, bearings and drums we are talking $600 plus shipping..

To replace all parts should take no more than 15 minutes per wheel just removing and slapping on all new parts..

Say 1 hr of labor at $150 per hr..

Most places do not "double" the cost of materials, more like adding about 25% on top of materials so call it $750 in materials and $150 in labor or $900 for all four wheels out the door cost..

However, I seriously doubt that full on replacement of brakes and drums will be needed.. Myself, I had to replace the backing plates a few yrs ago on a 30+ yr old TT and they WERE the ORIGINAL BRAKES!

I suspect it will be more like just check and adjust the brakes and clean and repack the bearings so in reality, the only "parts" would be needed is maybe $40 in new seals and a few scoops of grease.. maybe 1-2 hrs of labor (2hrs if they are padding the bill)..

Many auto repair shops typically charge less than $100 per wheel to "service" the brakes and sometimes you can catch a deal at $40 per wheel if you shop around..

Myself, it is an easy thing to do so I pull, check and adjust as needed instead of paying a mechanic..

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way to quote a price since nobody saw what is inside the brake drum. You may need nothing but the four grease seals or you may need entire brake assemblies plus drums and wheel bearings. Anyone who quotes a price without seeing inside each assembly is a crook by definition. This is such a simple job that any mechanic or do it your self type can do it. One problem with taking it somewhere is that the lowest skilled (read lowest wage) employee will be assigned the job. One more thing, lose the grease gun.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Instead of a "service" just ask about packing and adjusting the brakes. If there is an issue to attend they will give you a call. Small shop with some seasoned technicians should have no issues doing the work for less. This just basic old-school mechanical work.

Seen this plenty of times at an auto dealership. Going in for an oil change for maybe $75 and the dealer says it is due for a "60,000 mile service" or something similar just to tack on another $450+. Basically get the same thing and now the oil change is $525 + wipers and air filter (that were unneeded).

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
What's included in the price?

If it's purely repacking... you are getting taken.

If they are replacing other parts...it might be reasonable depending on the parts.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rirish1 wrote:
I pay about $100 wheel for repacking the wheel bearings at an RV shop. Don't really need "axle" work unless they are bent.

2 wheels or 4 ? That would be a great price for 4 !

Hopefully they check the brake magnets and wiring.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I understand the cost of parts and retail cost of labor and for the work you're wanting/needing done, $750/axle isn't "bad."
Sure you can buy all the parts you need for somewhere between $25 (for a couple tubes of grease, parts cleaner etc and $500 (new complete brake assemblies and bearings/seals), but you aren't planning on tearing it apart in your driveway and repairing it, so $500 (worst case) in parts marked up 100% + the better part of a days labor @$100+/hr = $1500 all in to replace everything but drums is about right.

You can have the trailer place inspect and reuse parts, but bearings are cheap and not much savings to completely clean out old bearings vs popping in new. Brakes, provided they are in good working order, I would at a minimum replace the shoes. They may not be near worn out, but I just recently had a couple linings fall off the brake shoes on my 2005 trailer. Appears most are bonded not riveted.

Basically, $1500 gets you everything new and your hands don't get greasy. From there you or the shop could choose to save some of the parts, but you're paying similar labor charges either way.

RV dealer is a rip-off.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rirish1
Explorer
Explorer
I pay about $100 wheel for repacking the wheel bearings at an RV shop. Don't really need "axle" work unless they are bent.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boy, at those prices I could be a multi millionaire in a couple of months.. That is more than what it would cost to replace the entire axles!

Shouldn't cost more that $50-$60 per wheel, tops..

First, nothing special about servicing trailer axle bearings, uses exact same procedures as any automobile wheel bearings as far as cleaning and regreasing the bearings.

I learned how to service wheel bearings on 1970's cars, trailer drums and bearings are essentially one in the same as a drum system on older vehicles.

SOOOO..

Call some AUTO REPAIR SHOPS, should be able to find at least one in your area that understands how to work on drum type brakes..

To give you a head start, HERE is a Yellowpages search for auto repair shops in Milwaukee area..

Never take a trailer to a RV/trailer dealer for this service, it will cost you an arm and leg..

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
If you cannot do that yourself, I would recommend the less expensive option. New brakes on a pre-assembled backing plate are readily available as are new brake drums with new bearings for about $100 per wheel. Adding the labor makes $750 sound reasonable. Check out Big Tex (in your area near Random Lake). Given a choice, I prefer the non self adjusting brakes as they run cooler.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi