cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to the dinette thing

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Decisions, decisions. Can't decide on how to mod the dinette seating in the ole Shadow Cruiser for better comfort. It's the "U" shape, standard two leg table that slides in and out a bit. First thought was like the one or two posted with office chairs, then a Jack knife sofa, then......I don't know. The space is 72" long if the thin padding backs are removed on each end. Anything that extends out farther than 42" would be an issue to use that space for sleeping and still get in and out of over cab bed. Has anyone ever considered using a twin futon mattress in a spot like that? Am planning to turn the table 180° to make it easier getting our ample tummies behind table for eating. Had also thought about simply adding hinges to both ends of table and leave it as is. We went with a futon mattress in our bed area and it does the job there great but stays in mattress position. Not sure how to secure a futon in seated position, as well as the current side seat sticking out past the folded futon, or jack knife bed either. Weight on that side of the camper a consideration as well since propane tanks and fridge on that side. More blank staring, measuring and trying to get some creative juices flowing. The only time there's an issue is watching what limited TV we watch and trying to squirm behind the table when we eat in. Any inspired suggestions? Come on guys, I know there are sharper modsters out there.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies
10 REPLIES 10

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Hmm I dunno-some of those gaming chairs (need pics) sound pretty good. Might be worth the patch cords for watching TV, especially if its a newer TV. immersion...:)
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I removed all cushions (stored in plastic for the next owner). I covered the bare wood where the cushions were with rug runners that you buy by the yard. I mounted the two post bases on a finished board and used two short posts for the table to mount on and the table sits on the side wall seat area, we position it in different positions for eating or more counter space. I have some anchors on the wall to strap it to if I leave it up, or we just disassemble and stash it away for travel. We use some thin stadium cushions to sit on when we use the table to eat. With the table out of the way there is room for two folding lawn chairs in the floor area for my wife and I to sit. Not an ideal setup, but it works for us, we have taken several multi week trips and were comfortable when we needed to be inside.

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We decided on the table rotation. Just need two new bases, salvage maybe, and a short post. Found gaming chairs at Wal-Mart,$40@, that recline, rock, fold away, and are even wired for audio, not that we'll ever use those features but they're there, and they fit perfectly in the space. Nice tall back and neck support. Removed the cushions and will carpet that plywood to match the new carpet I stuck in for winter barefoot comfort on the floor. It will all match and all I need to do to finish color coordinating is make skip covers for the cushions for when the grand kids go along and we put everything back to original. All in all I think this arrangement is going to work just peachy keen. DH approved and so long as he doesn't have to do any of the work he's good with it. Do need to reroute the power cord set up for the electric heater we use at the back of the camper. Have an open breaker and will just run new wire from converter thru dinette storage space to a receptacle on the back side of dinette. Had used an extension cord hidden from our youngest canine kid under the cushions as a chew preventer but the new arrangement will be much safer and free up that other outlet. Big sigh of relief and satisfaction with the answer for us and not very expensive. Electrical work is prepaid as part of the trade with RV tech for our spare AC unit so we're good. Thanks for all the forum input. Soon as I get pics and upload will post in mods. Did get some uploaded to tinypics, just need to get them from there to here. Hope it doesn't take me another year to figure that out, duh.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the same as tonymull: replace the large table with one much much smaller. I got a hardwood cutting block and use it for a table. It stows completely out of the way when not in use. Camper tables are a joke. They confine and restrict the only available living space.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Have pretty much decided on turning table 190° and purchasing two backrest pillows and call it good. Much simpler and cost effective for us. We only use this inside reclining on occasion anyway, not daily or nightly.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Not exactly sure of the existing arrangement and you said table currently slides but I was thinking of a seat pedestal similar to what we have on our boat seats. I was going to do make a small table for our boat but never got around to it (and the lakes dried up). Any way the chair pedestal tops will rotate 360° and slides about 6-8" of travel. It can be locked in any position. Never priced though, only time I think about it is having lunch on the water with the grandkids.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the table is too close all along the sides as well as the ends. Turning the table longwise takes care of that but really needs to go away for TV viewing, relaxing. Thought about a slide out back rest on the end that faces TV to extend the seating on that end and stow away behind cushion when not using it. Have that extra cushion that just lays in the way when not using the dinette area as a bed. It would make a back cushion for the extension. For just the two of us 95% of the time sleeping space not an issue. The small step up that holds the table is too shallow for other free standing tables so the switch in position will even be tricky to get another post in. Thought about a shorter post on the seat end next to the window for table but then cushion remodel necessary but doable. Costs are a real issue for us on fixed income and DH not able to work like he used to for extra spending cash since the truck wreck puts future travels at risk. At least THAT mess has been fixed at the insurance company's expense, precious truck all better. Least expensive jack knife bed that would fit is $300 with shipping. Futon $109+ shipping as NONE available locally in required size. Looking more like table shuffle and build the extended back rest thingy our least expensive and viable fix. Too cold to work on it right now even with camper in the barn. Brrrrr. Thanks for input!

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated, an offset socket adds MUCH capability. The smaller the surface the sturdier a single pole stand is, and for your small area those two facts will do wonders. Had a small jack-knife with single off-set pole in our pop-up and it was extremely functional and came down real quick with a self stow area at the back of the raised dinette floor. Jack-knife might be expensive but we find them SOOOOO much more comfortable than cushions. Worth consideration.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Our table was the post/pedestal type but here's what we did. First we realized that we always eat outside and we didn't need the big table for just a drink. So I got a round wood table top at HD, bought a socket for the post and put the bigger table in the closet for when the DW wants to play cards with her friends. Simple fix, lot's more room. Mounted the socket off center so we can just turn the table to adjust it. Pretty simple to change your table to that type if you want to.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is the table to tight at the corners when you're trying to get seated? Or when you're actually seated? If just the former, could you curve the corners (like an oval table)?

Or, could you remove the table and use tv trays? They'd be smaller than the standard table and more versatile, since when you're watching tv, you can have the open space and put your feet up, etc. You could always store the original table in case you had need of the lower bed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)