cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Basic XL Super Duty Question

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone know when they went with adjustable front seats on the XL Super Duty?

I had a 99 F350 and the seat was a basic bench with a fixed back. I know that they have gone to a split bench, even a 40/20/40, but I am having a hard time figuring out what year that started so I can begin my used rig search.

FWIW.. the new to me truck will be a gasser...

I just want another basic/relatively comfortable truck.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
25 REPLIES 25

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
IIRC the first year of the 40/20/40 availability in the XL was in 2002. That was the year that they had a bunch of feature additions (auto headlamps, etc. in higher trim levels) and new interior and exterior colors.

I had a 2003 F-350 Lariat with 110,000 miles on it that I traded last year for my current truck. Every feature on the truck still worked perfectly and I have no reason to think that was going to change anytime soon. I only traded it because of the 6.0L diesel that was about to cost some big $ and the Supercab was getting small for my 5 year old son. I can tell you, though that if it had a 7.3L diesel I would still have it.

I am of the opposite thinking; I like the higher level models for the features that are really handy and convenient and make a vehicle much more enjoyable and comfortable. I also think that a higher trim level makes a vehicle much more desirable so people tend to keep them longer and they are easier to sell.

I would also recommend that you consider the 7.3L diesel; they are very reliable and retain their value very well. They also will tow very well and won't empty your wallet for fuel on a trip. JMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions and the experience. My last truck was a basic truck and you are right about some of the nicer features. My sons reminded me of a few negatives that time has helped me forget. Like the non adjustable steering wheel, and the hot floors in the summer.

My local car dealership does have a few 7.3 crew cabsโ€ฆ very high miles on them though. I may go check them out just out of curiosity.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC the first year of the 40/20/40 availability in the XL was in 2002. That was the year that they had a bunch of feature additions (auto headlamps, etc. in higher trim levels) and new interior and exterior colors.

I had a 2003 F-350 Lariat with 110,000 miles on it that I traded last year for my current truck. Every feature on the truck still worked perfectly and I have no reason to think that was going to change anytime soon. I only traded it because of the 6.0L diesel that was about to cost some big $ and the Supercab was getting small for my 5 year old son. I can tell you, though that if it had a 7.3L diesel I would still have it.

I am of the opposite thinking; I like the higher level models for the features that are really handy and convenient and make a vehicle much more enjoyable and comfortable. I also think that a higher trim level makes a vehicle much more desirable so people tend to keep them longer and they are easier to sell.

I would also recommend that you consider the 7.3L diesel; they are very reliable and retain their value very well. They also will tow very well and won't empty your wallet for fuel on a trip. JMHO.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I think you can get the stock cloth bench seat or for $100 extra you can get a 40/20/40 seat in cloth or vinyl. And you can get bucket seats with a mini-console.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love it! Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Bedlam
This was my 2005 XL I sold last year:

If you find a F250 with the camper package and 18" or larger wheels, you are getting a F350 capable truck with an overly modest door tag.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
2005 was the improved model year for the Superduty yet with little styling change since the 1999 introduction. This was the year that capacities came up due to thicker frame, larger brakes, tighter turning due return of front coils, Dana 60 front axle, heavier suspension and the introduction of the integrated brake controller. 2008 MY was a visual upgrade with little change to anything else except the diesel engine.

Great insight! Thanks for the info!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Bedlam
2005 was the improved model year for the Superduty yet with little styling change since the 1999 introduction. This was the year that capacities came up due to thicker frame, larger brakes, tighter turning due return of front coils, Dana 60 front axle, heavier suspension and the introduction of the integrated brake controller. 2008 MY was a visual upgrade with little change to anything else except the diesel engine.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks folks,

Don't normally feel obligated to 'explain' myself...but here it goes.

I have a 2000 Town Car, a 2014 Town & Country...both loaded luxury-ish vehicles. I certainly have an appreciation for the dark side.

I do not have buckets of cash for what will be my next truck. The XL models are cheaper. That is for sure. This is a purely economic situation...I have zero desire to pay huge for luxury items I already have in my other cars.

Quick search for me for a GASSER with the XL trim brought up only a handful of entries. NO DIESEL. Probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Also, pics are nice, but that doesn't tell me if it's comfy or not...hence the post.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
My 02 F-350 Lariat dually came with 2 bucket seats and no center console. I bought it used so I do not know for sure if the original owner ordered it that way or not.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
You could always look at pictures of trucks for sale to find out instead of hearing about someone's 20 year old truck with bucket seats.

Hard to find base trucks to look at...especially online. Seems those who have them keep them forever. Plus I like talking to people.

Thanks for the tip though.

Jeremiah

Uncle Bill always bought base pickups for his custom sheetmetal shop (specializing
in SS Commercial kitchens)...he kept them for decades. Taught me that they had
the highest cargo capacity.

Dad always checked off every option box when ordering, but never knew HOW2 use
those options.

I'm in both...my 'sedan' will be loaded...my trucks will have 4x4 and AC, but
too many times you can't order them without options.

Wonder how long can keep my very old vehicles running...

1969 Datsun 240Z. Original owner and in the process of rebuilding/restoring it
with a junk yard 2.8L (stroked with a diesel crank and hogged out to
be 3.1L) and E31 head (cam, flowed, polished, etc) and a brand new
(still in the box 180mm diff). Blew it up at around 188K miles of VERY hard driving

1980 Silverado dad gave me. Over 500K miles. It is now showing it's age and won't
be putting much $$ back into it. Looking for a 50's Chevy Pickup...a gosh darn
just have to cruise the Calif Central Valley looking for one...

1996 Suburban and will keep it for a long while. Installed the best alarm the 2nd
week of it's life. Unlocked all four doors with the fob and a couple years ago
had to replace all four door lock actuators....nothing lasts forever
and will need replacement/rebuild...sooner or later...unless for folks
who trade every few years

2000 Odyssey mini van and my newest at +188K miles. Bought this used from a
missionary going over seas for an assignment. Found it was the church 'bus' and
still finding bits of candy/dog hair/etc in it.

The 'ex' got the S500 and LS400. Mechanic says they are both gone.

Now that I'm a granddad and GF has a 2 year old, spillage has come back into my
life and the type of interior more important. Along with the kid seat, stroller, etc...

Am a technologist, and do NOT like too much on my vehicles...except
for the next sedan. Just too much to go wrong and can't fix them
like the older, lower tech vehicles. Maybe next decade in my 70's
will I then not be able to work on them myself...but until then...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
You could always look at pictures of trucks for sale to find out instead of hearing about someone's 20 year old truck with bucket seats.

Hard to find base trucks to look at...especially online. Seems those who have them keep them forever. Plus I like talking to people.

Jeremiah

A quick search on www.cars.com yielded 24 Ford F-250 XL within 100 miles of me, most with pictures.

Good luck with your search.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I probably know why you don't want to look at the fancier trucks. "More to go wrong," right?

Think about it though: When is the last time anything went wrong? Things have come a long way since the 1970's when a single drop of water would render your power windows inoperable. I know a lot of people with 10-15 year old cars and trucks, and all the convenience features still work! The body's falling off, the engine runs a little rough, it wanders/rattles/bangs... Those power windows still go up and down, the seats still move, and the AC still blows cold.

As time goes on finding those "basic" trucks is going to get tougher and tougher, as many convenience features become standard. You will see crank windows go the way of the manual transmission in trucks in the next 5 years.

Sooner or later you will have to give into the "dark side" and enjoy life a little. Drove a truck with crank windows for 15 years. Bought my '02 Chevy dually with the LS package, and found myself going for the power window button on my daily driver.... Give in! ๐Ÿ™‚

What I find interesting is that the farther we get away from the '70's, the tall tales of exaggeration keep getting taller and taller. Except for my Super Duty, every vehicle I own is from the '70's. Honestly, I have no quality or dependability issues with any of them. Someone mentioned in a thread here in the last few weeks that valve jobs had to be done every 80,000 miles, transmissions never made it past 40-50,000 miles, engines rarely made it to 100,000 miles, spark plugs every three months, points need adjusting every 72 hours, and more BS like that. I have a '72 Ford car with a 429 engine that is approaching 200,000 miles. Valves are fine, compression is perfect, everything is original, except the water pump I replaced at 188,000 miles. Power windows, A/C, clock, everything works as designed. Doors close nice, body gaps are even, etc. I admit I need to adjust the points again, but have not adjusted them in over 8,000 miles. Far from the every 72 hours claimed in another thread here. The A/C blows cold in my '77 Chevrolet Scottsdale pickup, cruise control, tachometer, and all other accessories work as new.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I probably know why you don't want to look at the fancier trucks. "More to go wrong," right?

Think about it though: When is the last time anything went wrong? Things have come a long way since the 1970's when a single drop of water would render your power windows inoperable. I know a lot of people with 10-15 year old cars and trucks, and all the convenience features still work! The body's falling off, the engine runs a little rough, it wanders/rattles/bangs... Those power windows still go up and down, the seats still move, and the AC still blows cold.

As time goes on finding those "basic" trucks is going to get tougher and tougher, as many convenience features become standard. You will see crank windows go the way of the manual transmission in trucks in the next 5 years.

Sooner or later you will have to give into the "dark side" and enjoy life a little. Drove a truck with crank windows for 15 years. Bought my '02 Chevy dually with the LS package, and found myself going for the power window button on my daily driver.... Give in! ๐Ÿ™‚

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~