cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries Stolen...Now What?

campin_in_the_r
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2 12 Volt batteries were stolen (off the tongue of our trailer which is parked next to our house) this week. I am very disappointed, but I need to move forward so I am trying to decide what to replace them with.

The wires were all cut by the thief (thieves) so I am going to have to replace some wiring as well as the batteries. Since I am starting from scratch on the batteries should I do something entirely different from what we had?

Do we buy two new 12 Volt batteries, two 6 Volt, four 6 volt, something else?

Do we find a way to place the batteries in our pass-through storage to keep them safer or are there off-gassing issues with having them "inside" the trailer?

I know there are a lot of people here who have tried a lot with batteries so I am open to ideas (and some opinions).
2013 Forest River Cascade 22BH
2014 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SB 4X4
45 REPLIES 45

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
I had a short aluminum battery box. I trimmed the posts and ruined the battery!

I did the same thing to gain clearance. As you can see, the post is made up of two pieces so you need to cover the saw cut with solder.

I used a pickup side tool box across the tongue and placed the battery box under the lip. That way the thief will need to remove the locked propane bottles for access. The tool box stores blocks and chocks while under way and then stores the hitch parts when camped.

If the OP really needs two batteries, I suggest 6 volt golf cart batteries.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't waste my time with cutting off the terminals, honestly, probably whoever stole your batteries was a crackhead and took the batteries to the closest "we buy scrap batteries for $6.00". place.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I had a short aluminum battery box. I trimmed the posts and ruined the battery!
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I guess I was not clear. AGM need to be in a sealed box that can be vented outside the RV. Venting is rare, but the products from such an event are dangerous, poisonous and explosive.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I put a vented metal pickup tool box on my TT tongue which is lockable. These are available in metal or plastic and are handy for holding other items in addition to the batteries.

The one that worked great for me is a tool box made to fit over the wheel well of a pickup. It was just the right width and height for my four 6 volt batteries and had a tray for some other items. By the way, I have also chained/locked my two propane tanks to the tongue, have a wheel lock on the trailer wheels, and a hitch lock.

Some forum members will tell you that this is overkill and that they have never had anyone steal from their RV...your and my experiences say otherwise.

campin_in_the_r
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate the comments and ideas so far!

Please share any experiences you have had with replacing (and repositioning) batteries.

What, everyone's opinion, are the best batteries to go for? Brands, models, etc???
2013 Forest River Cascade 22BH
2014 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SB 4X4

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
Dr Quick wrote:
I would cut the post off at the base,...

I'm off to get my hacksaw, Doc. Thanks!

Teach

WHOA!!!!! There is likely a very simple way to create an adapter to go from the screw-in side mount connections to a standard clamp connector. Also, your warranty just "left the building!"
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
Dr Quick wrote:

Teach

The thing is, unless you've ever owned a boat or an RV, most people don't realize there is a difference between a marine battery (deep cycle) and an automotive battery. To them, a battery is a battery... most think only in terms of automotive batteries.

The idea of cutting of the posts in a good idea. Still, if someone is after the battery, and just hacking off the wires (damaging the camper), they won't realize the posts are removed until the theft is complete. Then they will probably just toss the battery away somehow. Meanwhile, you still have the aftermath of a theft to deal with.

Your best prevention, although not perfect, is to somehow get the battery inside a locked container, or make it so difficult to remove it, a thief won't even mess with it.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dr Quick wrote:

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks on these forums have installed those metal cargo or tool boxes that are used in the back of pick-up trucks. They get a smaller version that comfortably fits across the tongue of their camper. They bolt them down from the inside of the box and install the batteries there, put in vent holes, and run the wiring into it. Then they can lock the lid. It's not 100% foolproof as a thief will still get anything they want. But it will cause them to take a few extra seconds to gain access inside the box and those few seconds of deterrent may be just enough that the thief may bypass your camper and select another ....

Oh no! Don't do that .... The next camper may be mine! :E

For replacement batteries, I only had to buy a battery for any of my campers only 1 time. I went to Batteries Plus and talked o them about my needs. Unfortunately, they did not have 5-6-7-8 years marine batteries any more. I was able to get a 2 year battery. It did fine for the remainder of the time we owned that camper.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
There are off-gassing issues. If you put them inside, they would need to be in a sealed compartment or battery box that is independently ventilated. Fastest and easiest fix would another pair of 12 volt batteries.

In addition to the straps, maybe you could add some chain and padlock. A bicycle cable lock, would only slow them down, just a bit. Best security would be to remove them when not in use.

I agree with pianotuna on installing AGMs inside. It is safe. I have never heard of any AGMs needing to be in a sealed/vented compartment in an RV.

I have had my AGMs inside under the dinette seat for 3 years with my TT. I switched to AGMs in Jan 2009.

HTH;
John

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought.
Most RV deep cycle batteries have both a "post and wing nut" attachment for the wires. If you use the wing nut fasteners, I would cut the post off at the base, just lead and it is soft. That way if the thief wants them for a car, they would be uses to them. Unless it is someone wanting them for another RV, in which case they would be easy to identify if they show up, as no post on battery.
Dr Quick

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
This is one option, but is fairly expensive.

Or as pianotuna suggested,AGM. By the time you buy new lead acid batteries & a Torklift system, you could have gotten some good AGM's. Depending on the height of your access doors,enclosing them in your pass through by using a "sliding" tray would make for easy access.

TORKLIFT
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are off-gassing issues. If you put them inside, they would need to be in a sealed compartment or battery box that is independently ventilated. Fastest and easiest fix would another pair of 12 volt batteries.

In addition to the straps, maybe you could add some chain and padlock. A bicycle cable lock, would only slow them down, just a bit. Best security would be to remove them when not in use.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)